Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 01:42 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times

Advertisements

So here on the Investing boards we've seen a big interest in Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency. When most people first get started into Crypto, they typically start using Coinbase and buying Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ethereum, because those are the only three currencies offered on there.

As people become a bit more familiar with the space they often become more interested in trading altcoins. There's thousands of altcoins out there, many of which have improved features over Bitcoin, and also altcoins is typically where the less risk averse see more chances of higher gains down the road since BTC, LTC and ETH have already risen so so so much in value.

In the past the big altcoin exchanges were Bittrex, Poloniex, and Kracken. Bittrex has in the past always been my favorite exchange, however more and more people have been having complaints about being locked out of accounts. Bittrex is removing cryptos like Safex because they may be construed as securities, and while Bittrex's fee of 0.25% per trade isn't ridiculous, it is pretty steep.

Enter Binance

Binance began as an ICO or initial coin offering back in May of this past year. They have wound up not only delivering on every promise but even going above and beyond. Binance has a lot of benefits over other exchanges such as lower fees, more coins, no verification and high withdrawl limits.

Where as Bittrex, Poloniex, CEX and other exchanges charge fees of 0.25%, Binance is just 0.1% and if you hold Binance tokens (BNB) which gives you a discount you can even trade for as low as 0.05%.

Binance also has very high withdrawl limits even without verification. You can withdraw up to 2 Bitcoins per day which at todays prices is equivalent to about $30,000 without giving a name, social, ID, etc.

Binance also has a wider array of coins than other sites. Recently I became interested in Iota, Ethos, Tron, and other coins and Bittrex doesn't carry those. Because Binance is based out of Hong Kong versus Bittrex which is based in the USA, they can carry coins which Bittrex may not be able to because of the SEC and because some coins could be thought to be securities.

Lastly because Binance is new they do all types of fun giveaways such as trading contests to win cars, airdrops where free coins get handed out and more. Binance is quickly becomming my favorite exchange.

Binance is a great choice for both new users and more advanced users as their trading screens and charts have an option for basic or advanced.

How to Load Funds onto Binance

Unlike exchanges like Coinbase and Gemini which allow you to buy coins with fiat money ie US Dollars and credit cards, debit cards, bank transfers, and wires, most altcoin exchanges only accept Bitcoin. In regards to why, mainly because dealing with Dollars brings on a whole big set of challenges like getting money transmitter and MSB licenses in each state which can take years and cost millions. By only dealing in crypto it's much simpler to get a business up and running and there's much less red tape.

In order to get funds onto Binance, or Bittrex, or any crypto exchange for that matter you first need to buy Bitcoin, Litecoin or Ethereum on a site like Coinbase. I would suggest getting Litecoin or Ethereum as you can load your Binance account, and the fees will be MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper, and the transactions much faster than Bitcoin as the Bitcoin network is currently really bogged down.

Once you purchase your Litecoin or Ethereum you'll go into your Binance account and type in the ticker for the currency you bought on Coinbase, for this example we'll say Litecoin so (LTC). You'll then click the tab which says deposit at which point you'll be given a Litecoin address that looks something like this LTavtCDTcQkzeEE9DnS6ZaTwVpzndypLvB

You'll then go back to your Coinbase account and click "accounts". You'll then click "send" and when prompted for a Litecoin address you'll put in the Litecoin address you received when clicking "deposit" on Binance.

You'll then select how much you want to send either in USD or LTC price, and click send and within a few minutes your account will be funded. You can then swap your Litecoin for Bitcoin or Ethereum and then trade all the BTC or ETH pairs to buy currencies like Iota, NEO, Lisk, ARK, Ripple and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 10:16 AM

317 posts, read 239,247 times
yep, i opened an account in Binance

Old 12-26-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuninja View Post
yep, i opened an account in Binance
I much prefer them to Bittrex. I will say I like the Bittrex interface a little better and I like how Bittrex shows % up or down for the day which Binance doesn't however Binance has lower fees at 0.1% as opposed to 0.25%. You can also get those fees down even lower by holding the (BNB) Binance token, plus transfers off the exchange are much cheaper as well and they have coins like Iota, Ethos, REQ, MOD and others that I can't get on Bittrex.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:35 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Once coinbase is setup and verified with funds from bank ....then setting up with Gdax....then moving funds to gdax in order to buy Ethereum. The fees are lower on gdax. Afterwards, is it possible for me to transfer funds from gdax to binance ? In other words, just buy in Gdax and then transfer all to binance. I would like to buy gardano and omisego. those are not availabe in first two(coinbase or gdax). or do i still need to buy one of the 4 first no matter what in coinbase?

Old 12-27-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Once coinbase is setup and verified with funds from bank ....then setting up with Gdax....then moving funds to gdax in order to buy Ethereum. The fees are lower on gdax. Afterwards, is it possible for me to transfer funds from gdax to binance ? In other words, just buy in Gdax and then transfer all to binance. I would like to buy gardano and omisego. those are not availabe in first two(coinbase or gdax). or do i still need to buy one of the 4 first no matter what in coinbase?
Hey JL, once you get the hang of GDAX I would use that exclusively and not use Coinbase. GDAX is full percent cheaper on the fees, plus when you go to send from GDAX to Binance or Bittrex you can transfer for free out of GDAX as opposed to doing so from Coinbase which would charge you a fee.

For the coins you want to buy it's Cardano not Gardano, probably just a typo but just wanted to point that out and OmiseGo or OMG, I really like the second one. Cardano has a lot of hype now but I don't believe they even have a working project, could be a great project but it's pretty high marketcap for not even having something live.

Anyhow, yes you'll send from GDAX over to Binance, you have the right idea sending with Ether instead of Bitcoin for cheaper fees and a faster send, Litecoin would also work as well.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:29 PM

748 posts, read 820,569 times
These crypto exchanges give me echoes of the whole online poker thing. They might work now, but who knows if withdrawals will work tomorrow. Which is why, buying & pulling out your crypto might be the best option.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:16 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
These crypto exchanges give me echoes of the whole online poker thing. They might work now, but who knows if withdrawals will work tomorrow. Which is why, buying & pulling out your crypto might be the best option.
you should always pull your money off of exchanges.

i made a ton of money with online poker.
i actually just got about 20k i had stuck on ultimate bet from 2011 a few months ago.
i was screwed a few times- fortuntely the time it could have been the worst when neteller was shut down to us customers i was paid eventually.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
There's some "sketchier" exchanges and some more reputable. I highly doubt a Bittrex or a Binance would ********* out of money, a Yobit for example, who knows.

That said best practices is to only leave coins on exchanges for trading and keep them in your own wallet while not actively trading. Also diversify risk and spread yourself out among exchanges. Keep money in a few don't have all your eggs in one basket.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Binance shut down new user registrations, accounts are now selling for $8,000 or 0.5 BTC

Old 01-09-2018, 11:17 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Binance shut down new user registrations, accounts are now selling for $8,000 or 0.5 BTC
Yeah that's nuts I heard about that...but there is so much money to be made or potential money I guess people are willing to pay that.

I've actually been looking on different crypto forums on reddit,etc.
But just looking on CD now. Nice post.

Lot's of these exchanges seem shady besides Coinbase. I bought some coins on gate.io ..have you ever used that one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing