Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:26 AM

87 posts, read 37,382 times

Advertisements

Hi!

First of all, thank you for all your replies to my previous posts.

To begin trading naked options (for the only purpose of learning in real time), what should my initial capital be?

Thank you!

Doctor TR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:43 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTR View Post
Hi!

First of all, thank you for all your replies to my previous posts.

To begin trading naked options (for the only purpose of learning in real time), what should my initial capital be?

Thank you!

Doctor TR
You will need $25,000 at a minimum, when you're attempting to do what you're going to do in day trading options, you're going to run afoul of the day trading minimums pretty quickly. That minimum account requirement in order to create margin (which you will need to short) is $25,000.

If you don't want to use margin, then you're limited to your cash available, less any maintenance requirements for the shorts which can vary depending upon your B/D.

If you're simply looking to learn, I would check out a paper trade account.

Here is a good primer on what you'll need not only for your options account but for any active trading you may decide to do:

https://www.finra.org/sites/default/...ry/p122203.pdf

Quote:
4210. Margin Requirements (Continued)
(c) Maintenance Margin
The margin which must be maintained in all accounts of customers, except for cash accounts subject to other provisions of this Rule, shall be as follows:
(1) 25 percent of the current market value of all securities, except for security futures contracts, “long” in the account; plus
(2) $2.50 per share or 100 percent of the current market value, whichever amount is greater, of each stock “short” in the account selling at less than $5.00 per share; plus
(3) $5.00 per share or 30 percent of the current market value, whichever amount is greater, of each stock “short” in the account selling at $5.00 per share or above; plus
(4) 5 percent of the principal amount or 30 percent of the current market value, whichever amount is greater, of each bond “short” in the account.
(5) The minimum maintenance margin levels for security futures contracts, long and short, shall be 20 percent of the current market value of such contract. (See paragraph (f)(10)) of this Rule for other provisions pertaining to security futures contracts.)

Old 01-02-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
... paper trade account ...
Dear TxGolpher130,

Thank you for your reply.

What is a "paper trade a/c"?

I'll check with TD Ameritrade (where I keep my retirement funds) about their naked options requirements.

Doctor TR

Old 01-02-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Dear TxGolpher130,

I'll check with TD Ameritrade (where I keep my retirement funds) about their naked options requirements.

Doctor TR
A paper trade account is one where you can mock trades. You can test out strategies, see if they work as you thought they would. For example, Selling calls to open 50 XYZ xx Apr 2018 @ 2.00 and seeing how that plays out, what would happen within your time frame and if your bet was correct.

Remember with options if you're holding to expiration you have to be correct on direction, price and time. If you're only opening a position, you have to be correct on direction, price, volatility and how active that strike price will be.

Your answer for TD's requirements will be on page 11 of their margin agreement.

https://www.tdameritrade.com/retail-...df/AMTD086.pdf

Quote:
Uncovered equity options
Because writing uncovered—or naked—options represents greater risk of loss, the margin account requirements are higher. The writing of uncovered puts and calls requires an initial deposit and maintenance of the greatest of the following three formulas:
a) 20% of the underlying stock27 less the out-of-the-money amount, if any, plus 100% of the current market value of the option(s).
b) For calls, 10% of the market value of the underlying stock PLUS the premium value. For puts, 10% of the exercise value of the underlying stock PLUS the premium value.
or
c) $50 per contract plus 100% of the premium.
Also and this is big, YOU WILL NOT be able to write naked options in a retirement account. ANYWHERE. You will have to open a taxable account.

PLEASE, also read page 14.

Last edited by txgolfer130; 01-02-2018 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-02-2018, 10:26 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times
Quote:
Dear TxGolpher130,

Doctor TR
A paper trading account, also known as a simulated account, allows you to trade with fake or play money. It's great for beginning traders to practice before trading with real money or if a seasoned investor has a new system they want to test out. I don't have experience with options so can't recommend a platform but i think TD Ameritrade offers a simulated account. I just did a Google search and found this link that reviews practice accounts. But do your own research to see which platforms you'd prefer to use.

https://www.personalincome.org/best-...ng-simulators/

Old 01-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
... You will have to open a taxable account ...
Dear TxGolfer130,

I do have a taxable a/c with TD Ameritrade where I invest in a NASDAQ index (Doing very well!).

... and thank you for the link.

Doctor TR

Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Dear TxGolfer130,

I do have a taxable a/c with TD Ameritrade where I invest in a NASDAQ index (Doing very well!).

... and thank you for the link.

Doctor TR
Great! Good luck and you're welcome!

Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
... link that reviews practice accounts

Dear GS,

Thank you for the link.

The only problem with simulations is that the adrenaline doesn't flow.

Doctor TR

Old 01-02-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Dear GS,

Thank you for the link.

Doctor TR
Doctor,

That is the main purpose of simulated or paper trade accounts. You NEVER want the adrenaline to flow when trading. You REALLY want a boring, to the plan, no surprises experience. Adrenaline and that "juice" you get when in the market actively is what leads traders to their undoing.

You want to experience what the trades will do, what didn't you see happening and how did the market react while your position was open.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times
Quote:
Dear GS,

Thank you for the link.

Doctor TR
Well, are you in this to make money or to get an adrenaline rush? If the latter, go skydiving or do something more exciting. One of the first things professionals say about investing is you want to remove all emotions out of your trading. It sounds like investing might be too boring for you.

Last edited by Gabriella Geramia; 01-02-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing