Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:39 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,782,993 times

Advertisements

I am invested 100% in equities and want to re-allocate. My plan is to have a 3 fund portfolio with the following composition:

Taxable account:
45% - S&P500 Index fund (VOO)
20% - International (VTIAX)
10% - Bonds (VBTLX)

401k -
25% - Bonds (JCBUG)

Total allocation mix: 65/35 Equities/Bonds

My question is to do with the allocation of bonds between my taxable and tax exempt accounts. I plan to convert all my money in my 401k to Bonds since that is 25% of my total assets and then an additional 10% in my taxable. The justification for this is that I would avoid paying ordinary income tax on the dividends. My marginal rate is rather high - 24% Federal (the new Trump plan) and 9.3% CA state.

Does this seem right or is there ever a reason to keep money in my 401k in equities and the bonds in taxable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 02:25 AM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
there sure is a reason . holy cow am i glad i have my equities in my ira last year . the fund distributions were killer .some spun off as much as 12% gains were so high .

depending on what your funds spin off , turnover and time frame even a 1% dividend in a brokerage account can wipe away any tax savings if you are not in the 15% tax bracket .

on the other hand taking up valuable compounding space in an ira with bonds at these low interest rate levels may be a poor choice .

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

In an environment where generating portfolio alpha is difficult, strategies like managing assets on a household basis to take advantage of asset location opportunities to generate “tax alpha” are becoming more and more popular. The caveat, however, is that making effective asset location decisions is not easy, either.

For instance, while the traditional asset location strategy “rule of thumb” is that tax-inefficient bonds go into an IRA, while equities eligible for preferential tax rates go into a brokerage account, the reality is that for investors with long time horizons the optimal solution may be the opposite. Once stock dividends and portfolio turnover are considered, the ongoing “tax drag” of the portfolio can be so damaging to long-term returns that placing equities into an IRA may be more efficient, even though they are ultimately taxed at higher rates!

In fact, it turns out that almost any level of portfolio turnover will eventually tilt equities towards being held in IRAs given a long enough time horizon (and especially while today’s low interest rates result in almost no benefit for bonds to gain tax-deferred growth inside of retirement accounts). Which means in the end, good asset location decisions depend not only on returns and tax efficiency, but an investor’s time horizon as well!

https://www.kitces.com/blog/asset-lo...-time-horizon/

Old 01-11-2018, 08:43 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
^^^^ The value of index funds can differ between taxable and non taxable accounts

Old 01-11-2018, 08:51 AM

all index funds can differ too and you can get banged in taxes in some of them . very few index funds are pure plays . index funds like spy are pure plays . but many others loan securities out , trade in and out of minor issues , deal in options ,etc all of which create taxes . as little as a 1% dividend can wipe a way any tax advantage in a brokerage account over the long term .

you can see some tax ratio's on s&p 500 funds can be high .

Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM

mathjak107, i'm referring purely to bond funds. What I did in the end was just go with my desired asset mix for both taxable and tax-exempt. Bond interest is not significant anyways but when I did the math it's about $800-900 saved in the best case scenario as I have only $103k in my 401k but will contribute the max yearly to my 401k.

So, my allocation now looks like so:

taxable:
- 45% domestic equities (VOO)
- 20% international equities (VTIAX)
- 35% bonds (VBTLX)

tax-exempt:
- 45% domestic equities (FIFFX, FSCKX, FSSVX, FUSVX)
- 20% international equities (ODVIX)
- 25% bonds (JCBUX)

Old 01-12-2018, 12:25 PM

107 posts, read 105,960 times
Muni bonds are tax-exempt. I would consider them or mutual bond fund for a taxable account.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
mathjak107, i'm referring purely to bond funds. What I did in the end was just go with my desired asset mix for both taxable and tax-exempt. Bond interest is not significant anyways but when I did the math it's about $800-900 saved in the best case scenario as I have only $103k in my 401k but will contribute the max yearly to my 401k.

So, my allocation now looks like so:

taxable:
- 45% domestic equities (VOO)
- 20% international equities (VTIAX)
- 35% bonds (VBTLX)

tax-exempt:
- 45% domestic equities (FIFFX, FSCKX, FSSVX, FUSVX)
- 20% international equities (ODVIX)
- 25% bonds (JCBUX)
i would never take up valuable space in the tax deferred accounts with bonds at these levels if i had a choice .

Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would never take up valuable space in the tax deferred accounts with bonds at these levels if i had a choice .
so your justification is for tax deferred growth based on dividend re-investment? But isn't a taxable account also tax deferred growth because you don't pay taxes unless to sell and for a long term buy and hold strategy it should not be an issue?

Also equity dividends will be at 15%+State and Bond interest will be Marginal+State, however dividends will be higher than bond interest but the tax rate is 10% lower so probably a wash in the end?

There are arguments all over the place for an against putting most of the bonds in a portfolio in tax-exempt and they contradict each other so it's really confusing.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:18 PM

funds have dividends and many have capital gains distributions whether you sell or not and they can be thousands ,.

i use actively manged funds which have out performed indexing by a lot but they have capital gains distributions every year . 1 of mine had a 12% distribution last year .

so most of that is in ira's . we have many thousands in distributions for 2017 .

paying taxes on those distributions not only wipe out the tax advantage over the long term but leave you worse off . as little as a 1% dividend over time can wipe out the tax savings .

Old 01-12-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
funds have dividends and many have capital gains distributions whether you sell or not and they can be thousands ,.

i use actively manged funds which have out performed indexing by a lot but they have capital gains distributions every year . 1 of mine had a 12% distribution last year .

so most of that is in ira's . we have many thousands in distributions for 2017 .

paying taxes on those distributions not only wipe out the tax advantage over the long term but leave you worse off . as little as a 1% dividend over time can wipe out the tax savings .
I read this article and it makes the case that this is not so much of a problem for passive investing via index funds since they have very low turnover so not much capital gains.

https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-c...tax_advantages

VTIAX and VOO both has zero cap gains distributions for 2017 and dividends of 2%, VBTLX 2.69% (.28/share) which is what I am seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing