Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 01:53 PM

18,103 posts, read 15,676,604 times

Advertisements

Opinions requested on the use of muni bonds (tax free) ladders to generate income in a taxable account

Do you use them?

If no, why?

Would you ever use them? If yes, under what circumstances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 02:48 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
no my tax bracket is not high enough nor is the interest rate high enough to even matter . .

Old 03-20-2018, 03:11 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
No problem as long as you can benefit from the tax savings and you investigate to determine that the bond is backed by a good source of revenue.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:23 PM

532 posts, read 446,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Opinions requested on the use of muni bonds (tax free) ladders to generate income in a taxable account

Do you use them?

Not yet, considering them though.

If no, why?

Would you ever use them? If yes, under what circumstances?
I'm close to retirement and I have a couple CDs but also considering laddering bonds as well.
I don't know enough to give advice, I'm reading up and learning.

My bank CDs are only around 2% seems like I should be able to get something that generates a bit more than that and nontaxable would be nice too.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:02 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
I wouldn't buy individual munis because the bid-ask can be prohibitive. I suppose if you are 100% positive you would never need to sell them and the after-tax yield was good... well wait, even then I would just buy a low-cost muni bond fund.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:07 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I wouldn't buy individual munis because the bid-ask can be prohibitive. I suppose if you are 100% positive you would never need to sell them and the after-tax yield was good... well wait, even then I would just buy a low-cost muni bond fund.
After my father died, I became successor trustee because my mother has dementia. The trust has a large number of municipal bonds, along with some stocks and other holdings. This is a time consuming way of investing. When bond interest rates go down, the bonds are called at the call date. This requires purchasing new bonds. When the prospects for a stock are not good, the stock has to be sold, which creates capital gains. Since I am not taking money out of the brokerage account, this money has to come from the checking account.

And then there are the income tax forms. I took the HR Block income tax course to help me deal with it. If I hired someone to do the taxes, it would have to be someone experienced in investment income, rather than say, earned income credit. I would still have to gather the information, plus pay for the considerable amount of time it would take this person to do the taxes.

My own investments are index funds. The Vanguard Ohio Municipal Bond Index Fund I started last year for myself is much less of a hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing