Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 01:14 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times

Advertisements

FANG and FANGMAN are still holding up. They did lag by about a week on the last downturn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 07:37 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
So today the VIX moved exactly as I expected and fell from $18.70 all the way down to the high $14.00 range. I own the $14 puts, but they barely budged during this massive move. I suppose that is due to the enormous volitility already priced into the premium. I really need the VIX to drop down another dollar to make a decent profit. It’s all profit from here the further it goes down.

Call me crazy but if you own an option on something that declines 20% without the option changing value, you might have paid too much for that option. Risk/reward seems off.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:32 AM

500 posts, read 571,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Call me crazy but if you own an option on something that declines 20% without the option changing value, you might have paid too much for that option. Risk/reward seems off.
Options are priced based on how much the underlying is expected to move. In the above situation, the VIX easily moves 20% so that is priced in. A common source of confusion by new option traders is that they buy a call on a stock as it approaches earnings expecting it to beat. On earnings the stock beats and the price moves up, however the call falls in value. One can get upset by this, or one can understand why this happens and use it to their advantage.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:56 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
VIX volatility was 78 a week ago. It is now 134. VIX is also priced based on SPX options that expire within 21 days. SVXY is up about 2-5 percent depending on where one purchased on Tuesday.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:00 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I'll have to remember this. I'll assume though that during a huge VIX spike up to 40, the chance of a VIX decline is already priced into the options so they probably trade at a premium. Smaller VIX spikes like this I can see how it might work... it's like all investing just educated gambling. Basically try to trade like a contrarian.. invest in something when everyone else isn't, and do something while everyone else is lulled into a false sense of security.

For example, there's still way too many analysts calling for a correction to make me think we are going to have a big correction. Usually when one happens it tends to catch people off guard.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:09 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
VIX volatility was 78 a week ago. It is now 134. VIX is also priced based on SPX options that expire within 21 days. SVXY is up about 2-5 percent depending on where one purchased on Tuesday.
VIX uses options that have more than 23 days and less than 37 days to expiration. VIX is calculated daily, and so because of that the actual underlying of the VIX are made up of different standard and weekly SPX contract contracts vs. cost of the near 30-day S&P500 index puts that actually derive the movement of the VIX.

So, they are indeed a derivative of a derivative of a derivative.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'll have to remember this. I'll assume though that during a huge VIX spike up to 40, the chance of a VIX decline is already priced into the options so they probably trade at a premium. Smaller VIX spikes like this I can see how it might work... it's like all investing just educated gambling. Basically try to trade like a contrarian.. invest in something when everyone else isn't, and do something while everyone else is lulled into a false sense of security.

For example, there's still way too many analysts calling for a correction to make me think we are going to have a big correction. Usually when one happens it tends to catch people off guard.
Not really gambling, there is actual market mechanics and pricing behind the moves. However, in a sense it is market sentiment gauging...since it is actually measuring the money people have actually put into the market on either side of SPX calls/puts & S&P500 index puts and their current bid/ask spread that "measure" the "sentiment". Not guessing.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:29 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
It's gambling compared to just buying a stock index fund and holding for 20+ years.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
It's gambling compared to just buying a stock index fund and holding for 20+ years.
Um, no.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:17 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Not really gambling, there is actual market mechanics and pricing behind the moves. However, in a sense it is market sentiment gauging...since it is actually measuring the money people have actually put into the market on either side of SPX calls/puts & S&P500 index puts and their current bid/ask spread that "measure" the "sentiment". Not guessing.
bs...its PURE GAMBLING. Unless you have inside knowledge its a crapshoot. If it was that easy OR ODDS WERE IN YOUR FAVOR...everyone would pick this odd ass stuff. People dont because the risk is too great. Hence GAMBLING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing