Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 06:03 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It is similar in my view... Uber now valued at $78 billion without any profits in it's entire history? Not only that, it's burning billions in cash each year? Are you kidding me? Uber does not even have a viable product. Get outta here!!! If this isn't the definition of insanity I don't know what is.
Most tech companies don't have profit. Amazon is the same way. It is by design because they reinvest all the profits into the business to grow it. IF they chose to, they could have millions in profit. This is business 101 for tech companies and many companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 06:20 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
I tell you that growth is frightening. I still say when the **** hits the fan for the stock market its gonna be a fall off a cliff. But that fall may not come before it grows another 50 percent. This is simply pure greed. As soon as the greed wheel stops turning, the ride wont stop..it will cascade down a hill.

I agree on the greed aspect, and I try to remember Buffett's famous quote about being fearful when others are greedy. The only tech stock I own is AAPL (not even sure I really consider them a tech stock, but whatever), and I'm up 12% on that after only a few months. Despite already being the most valuable company in history, they continue to grow, and continue proving the nay-sayers wrong. Being the most profitable company in the world with a very reasonable valuation and the potential for strong capital returns going forward makes them a much more sensible LONG TERM investment than the FANG stocks, whose ridiculous valuation levels seem to put them in the "others are greedy" category.

I do agree with the Bitcoin comparison on some of these, as you are buying them on the "greater fool" theory that no matter what the valuation, someone else will always pay you more when you sell. That may be, but for how long? I think these are the stocks that will be slammed the hardest when the next recession finally does hit, and that's especially worrisome when you think that tens of millions of us (myself included) own these stocks indirectly, as these tend to make up the biggest holdings of most of the large cap and index funds that we all hold in retirement accounts.

Anyway, to each his own, but I honestly think APPL is the best of breed in this group.

Quote:

"We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy when others are fearful."

-Warren Buffett

Last edited by treasurekidd; 06-15-2018 at 06:32 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 11:38 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
And Netflix goes up and up and up.. remarkable.. Some analysts call for 25 percent more growth by December.. crazy..want to jump on but something holds me back.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:43 PM

18,095 posts, read 15,670,593 times
You can buy mutual funds that hold Netflix as one of their offerings.

Fidelity Contrafund (FCNTX) holds NFLX as well as other media companies.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Stocks like Netflix and twitter keep getting huge gains day after day. But I keep not investing waiting for a pull back,which never comes. If they do pull back I fear a massive sell off just due to how far they have gone up. Anyone else like me and can't get themselves to buy after runups like that?
I wouldn't. 5 or 6 years ago going all in on the FANGs would have been a brilliant move. Now it seems risky and expensive. You know what looks like a bargain right now? Gold and silver.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:57 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Lots of other tech stocks out there besides the same names that are on CNBC over and over

Old 06-19-2018, 08:24 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I wouldn't. 5 or 6 years ago going all in on the FANGs would have been a brilliant move. Now it seems risky and expensive. You know what looks like a bargain right now? Gold and silver.
If it gets much lower I agree...does gold go all the way to 1250?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing