Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 4,870 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/20/afte...acebook%7Cmain

SAN FRANCISCO — Pete Roberts of Nottingham, England, was one of the many risk-takers who threw their savings into cryptocurrencies when prices were going through the roof last winter.
Now, eight months later, the $23,000 he invested in several digital tokens is worth about $4,000, and he is clearheaded about what happened.
"I got too caught up in the fear of missing out and trying to make a quick buck," he said this week. "The losses have pretty much left me financially ruined."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 09:40 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,469,876 times
I'm in my late 20's and have always tried to educate people on the value of investing at least up to the company match. Most people either say retirement is 40 years away, investing is just gambling, or some sort of YOLO remark. Investing and making 8% a year isn't sexy.

However these same people will play the lottery or take extreme risks in other areas. I read the below on Quora the other day and thought this was so true.

"I can tell you something extremely damaging that 90% of young people do, which often affects their financial health for life.

It’s so common that when I mention it you you will probably shrug, but give me 60 seconds of your time and you’ll see why its persistent, fatal, and so commonly overlooked.

Whats a really common investment for young people? Bitcoin, crypto, marijuana companies, penny stocks… basically, whatever the next ‘big’ thing is.

What’s the problem here? 99% of these investments will end at $0. The big issue with that isn’t the loss of money - but the loss of confidence.

People lose money ‘investing’ early, then they shy away from proper investments for the rest of their lives. They persistently take too little risk because they took the wrong type of risk early. They gambled, lost, then conflated that gamble with real investing.

Responsibly and safely making money isn’t sexy. It’s not like the movies where you’re a hero who takes the ‘smart’ risk and get rewarded handsomely. It’s about taking the right risks consistently and watching your portfolio grow. The real ‘right’ risk is a diversified portfolio."

Do yourself a favour, don’t burn out. Invest early, invest smart. Don’t confuse gambling with investing.

Above all, know what risks are right for you - the worst thing you can do is take on too much risk relative to your mindset and end up burning yourself out permanently.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM

801 posts, read 548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I'm in my late 20's and have always tried to educate people on the value of investing at least up to the company match. Most people either say retirement is 40 years away, investing is just gambling, or some sort of YOLO remark. Investing and making 8% a year isn't sexy.

However these same people will play the lottery or take extreme risks in other areas. I read the below on Quora the other day and thought this was so true.

"I can tell you something extremely damaging that 90% of young people do, which often affects their financial health for life.

It’s so common that when I mention it you you will probably shrug, but give me 60 seconds of your time and you’ll see why its persistent, fatal, and so commonly overlooked.

Whats a really common investment for young people? Bitcoin, crypto, marijuana companies, penny stocks… basically, whatever the next ‘big’ thing is.

What’s the problem here? 99% of these investments will end at $0. The big issue with that isn’t the loss of money - but the loss of confidence.

People lose money ‘investing’ early, then they shy away from proper investments for the rest of their lives. They persistently take too little risk because they took the wrong type of risk early. They gambled, lost, then conflated that gamble with real investing.

Responsibly and safely making money isn’t sexy. It’s not like the movies where you’re a hero who takes the ‘smart’ risk and get rewarded handsomely. It’s about taking the right risks consistently and watching your portfolio grow. The real ‘right’ risk is a diversified portfolio."

Do yourself a favour, don’t burn out. Invest early, invest smart. Don’t confuse gambling with investing.

Above all, know what risks are right for you - the worst thing you can do is take on too much risk relative to your mindset and end up burning yourself out permanently.
You're right. That sounds dull.

I am currently 27 years old. Not too long ago, I started reading about stocks. I took a risk and invested $50,000 on TTWO. It was all I had. I was able buy it at it around $45/share. I've been holding on to them through thick and thin for the past few years. TTWO is now at 133/share. I don't regret it one bit. I don't plan on selling any time soon as I have no need for the money now.

My reasoning was.. "I have no kids, no wife, no mortgage. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it went down to zero."

It's really hard not to think like that when you look at past performances by many stocks and wonder what if I had invested...

8% on a $50,000 investment is $4,000. Yawn...

I wouldn't advise others to do the same though...

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 08-27-2018 at 10:24 AM..

Old 08-27-2018, 10:20 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,625,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
You're right. It's not sexy. It's not exciting. It's not fun.

I am currently 27 years old. Not too long ago, I started reading about stocks. I took a risk and invested $50,000 on TTWO. It was all I had. I was able buy it at it around $45/share. I've been holding on to them through thick and thin for the past few years. TTWO is now at 133/share. I don't regret it one bit. I don't plan on selling any time soon as I have no need for the money now.

My reasoning was.. "I have no kids, no wife, no mortgage. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it went down to zero."

You do realize the reason why you don’t regret it is because it worked out right? Lol

Old 08-27-2018, 10:25 AM

7,460 posts, read 4,704,671 times
Quote:

It's really hard not to think like that when you look at past performances by many stocks and wonder what if I had invested...

Liar! Liar!

Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You do realize the reason why you don’t regret it is because it worked out right? Lol
Yea.. I know

Hence why "I wouldn't advised others to do the same."

Instead of outright discourage or encourage someone, I would educate him on how to calculate how big of a risk he is taking. This way, he can decide if he is willing to do it.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:48 AM

2,751 posts, read 1,788,719 times
Quote:

Focus more on when TTWO is no longer an attractive investment rather than when you need the money as the time to sell.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Focus more on when TTWO is no longer an attractive investment rather than when you need the money as the time to sell.
I don't think that will be anytime soon considering...

-GTA V is still making money like crazy.
-Everyone is going nuts over the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2
-GTA VI is rumored to be in the work.
-Max Payne 3 came out around 6 years ago. They are bound to announce the 4th one soon... Right?

My main concerns are scandals and a recession

Old 08-27-2018, 11:16 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,441,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I tripled my money! Would I do it again? Yeah!!

Old 08-27-2018, 01:31 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,625,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I tripled my money! Would I do it again? Yeah!!
Sign me up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing