Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 06:29 PM

748 posts, read 820,569 times

Advertisements

It's risky.

Nobody outside the US cares about Kaepernick. Inside the US, opinion is hotly divided. Obviously Nike's shareholders skew largely affluent, top 10%ers. Nike's customers are less affluent, bottom 80%ers mostly.

It's odd that a company doing well is making a hail Mary pass. It would be one thing if Adidas did this. But Nike is an established brand. A mass-market established brand can't just become "counter-cultural" or "anti-establishment" because it is the establishment.

Sneakers are one thing were the switching costs are VERY low, and the purchasing frequency is also LOW. Customers can easily choose another brand. It's not like Starbucks when they took a social stance, they are often one of the more convenient better run shops in a town. Personally, I don't think many people will buy more Nike's to look "woke" or whatever. It's already such a saturated brand. It's not really making much of a statement to wear Nikes. Nothing really.

So on the net this might hurt Nike. If not, we live in very strange times indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 06:29 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Haha good one, ignore every pro-kap post and choose mine to say knock it off. My OP is very much investment related, you can scroll through the posts to see when it became a debate about kap. However, even debating kap still relates to NKE because it gives an indication do more people support NKE or oppose.
You're the OP - if YOU can't stay on topic that's pretty bad. You showed your true colors....

Old 09-06-2018, 06:36 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
He is working and paid millions to play a game, not protest. Try doing that in any job and see what happens.
If your employer paid you millions and allowed you to protest what’s the problem?

Quote:
Haha good one, ignore every pro-kap post and choose mine to say knock it off. My OP is very much investment related, you can scroll through the posts to see when it became a debate about kap. However, even debating kap still relates to NKE because it gives an indication do more people support NKE or oppose.
It might be because of you starting the thread and continued comments to conflate issues. Wounded veterans have nothing to do with this topic other than to distract, conflate and admonish supporters of somethingnother than veterans which leads back to the start in that they, wounded veterans are not relevant to the thread. You bring them in for irrational and emotional reasons. The same can be said for your comments about how much Kap made playing a game. It’s rather simplistic to narrow it that far down but it’s done for emotional play. Yeah they play a game, a game that earns many many billions of dollars a year of which how many people can be starting qbs or even backup? Yeah that’s right why don’t we stick to the math behind it?

Old 09-07-2018, 03:46 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
It's risky.

Nobody outside the US cares about Kaepernick. Inside the US, opinion is hotly divided. Obviously Nike's shareholders skew largely affluent, top 10%ers. Nike's customers are less affluent, bottom 80%ers .
Nike is about 85% institutionly owned. That includes a lot of mutual funds and the like owned by a lot of average people.... people who don't even know they have some money tied to Nike.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:13 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I hope so. I despise their support for him. Whining baby will take home millions based on this.

I don't disagree with his message, just how he used a fun, American sport to make the games now so negative, so unpleasant.....many of us don't even want to watch.

My solution?

Quit showing the pregame, just begin with kickoff and let us be in peace.
Tony Dungy had a smart idea on PTI yesterday that at the very beginning the NFL should have given the players 15 minutes in press conferences to have the platform to speak their issues. This could have diffused the situation where they felt stifled and took the attention away from the anthem.

Instead the whole situation turned into a raging dumpster fire.

My wife and I stopped watching the nfl for a year because many of us watch sports to get away from politics.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:07 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If your employer paid you millions and allowed you to protest what’s the problem?

It might be because of you starting the thread and continued comments to conflate issues. Wounded veterans have nothing to do with this topic other than to distract, conflate and admonish supporters of somethingnother than veterans which leads back to the start in that they, wounded veterans are not relevant to the thread. You bring them in for irrational and emotional reasons. The same can be said for your comments about how much Kap made playing a game. It’s rather simplistic to narrow it that far down but it’s done for emotional play. Yeah they play a game, a game that earns many many billions of dollars a year of which how many people can be starting qbs or even backup? Yeah that’s right why don’t we stick to the math behind it?
Kaepernick IS doing this ad campaign because he can’t play foot ball to answer your “paid millions and allowed you to protest” bit. Imo there is a time and place to “protest” and it’s not on the football field while the
National Anthem is being played”...there is an irony there too ....as they are very lucky, grossly over paid pros.

As for Nike ...a very bold controversial move, imo an unecessary one, could and should hurt them,
but probably won’t as the kids who buy the shoes look up to these pros and think it’s cool.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:59 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Kaepernick IS doing this ad campaign because he can’t play foot ball to answer your “paid millions and allowed you to protest” bit. Imo there is a time and place to “protest” and it’s not on the football field while the National Anthem is being played”
You didn’t answer anything as I didn’t ask a question. It’s also not your call as to when and where the correct time to protest and while Kap was in the league his employer was okay with it so at that point it was moot

Quote:
...there is an irony there too ....as they are very lucky, grossly over paid pros.
Once again it’s not your call on who gets paid what. Additionally I’m not sure how you are arriving at the conclusion someone else is overpaid when the skill set is very specialized in an organization that makes billions of dollars. Maybe you too are overpaid

Quote:
As for Nike ...a very bold controversial move, imo an unecessary one, could and should hurt them,
but probably won’t as the kids who buy the shoes look up to these pros and think it’s cool.
Could and should hurt them? Why should it hurt them? It doesn’t compute to me

Old 09-07-2018, 07:11 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Tony Dungy had a smart idea on PTI yesterday that at the very beginning the NFL should have given the players 15 minutes in press conferences to have the platform to speak their issues. This could have diffused the situation where they felt stifled and took the attention away from the anthem.

Instead the whole situation turned into a raging dumpster fire.

My wife and I stopped watching the nfl for a year because many of us watch sports to get away from politics.
Must not be much of a fan if that's all it took - or if you enjoy cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:13 AM

487 posts, read 1,816,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
What's "Brown"?
Never heard of the color brown? I'm a shade of brown like every "Black" person. I don't like the connotation of "Black" which some people associate with something negative and prefer to be called Brown. I've seen every shade of Brown in persons of color but never Black.

Last edited by LAB6120; 09-07-2018 at 08:41 AM..

Old 09-07-2018, 08:03 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Kaepernick IS doing this ad campaign because he can’t play foot ball to answer your “paid millions and allowed you to protest” bit. Imo there is a time and place to “protest” and it’s not on the football field while the
National Anthem is being played”...there is an irony there too ....as they are very lucky, grossly over paid pros.

"time and a place to protest" = a place where you think it is more convenient and most likely to be ineffective

its probably not the best idea to protest when and where a group that opposes your position decides is the right time and place for you to protest.

i also notice a lot of people point out that they should be grateful that they are being paid millions to play a game and shouldnt protest. that is about the silliest point out there. these people arent protesting for themselves, they are protesting for other people. they are taking advantage of their ability to draw attention to a problem that impacts mostly low income underrepresented people (and risking their millions in the process). that is admirable, not a reason why they should shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing