Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 07:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,205,603 times

Advertisements

I have had a Betterment account since 2015 and have earned .5% (annual rate of return). Should I give up on it and move to something else? Where should I go for a hands off style with a low fee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 08:03 AM

5,305 posts, read 6,194,603 times
I haven't seen the "Betterment" ad for a while. Just the pretentious name is enough to turn the cautious investor away.

Look into "Vanguard Personal Advisor Services." They charge 0.3% of your portfolio value per year for the service. Or you can invest in the Vanguard 500 Index Fund (VFINX). Fidelity also has a 500 index fund (FUSEX) and a personal advisor service.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:47 AM

2,291 posts, read 3,087,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I have had a Betterment account since 2015 and have earned .5% (annual rate of return). Should I give up on it and move to something else? Where should I go for a hands off style with a low fee?
What is your allocation? Are you all in on equities or heavy on bonds? It's really impossible to say anything without knowing your mix, which YOU decide and can adjust at any time. Have you made any adjustments to it since you started, also? Made any withdrawals?

Old 10-27-2018, 06:41 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,205,603 times
I have it at about 50/50 bonds and stock. Pretty much all Betterment invests in is Vanguard. No withdrawals yet.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:32 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,632,693 times
Get SPY.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:08 PM

665 posts, read 614,436 times
A few options for you.

1) Consider changing your allocation. 50/50 allocation is too low if you expecting great returns IMO.

2) Consider changing your provider. There's other providers out there for you to check out (Wealthfront, Acorn, etc.)

Old 11-04-2018, 05:38 PM

6,628 posts, read 7,356,741 times
What was the return on the equity part? Bond funds will lose money if longer term and interest rates increasing. Who picked the 50/50? If they did and the bonds are long term I would move on. 1/2% return is very very poor.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:27 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,145,075 times
1/2% return? Hell, I'm getting 0.45% on my money market account! It's tiered and I don't even have that much money in it at the present. (mid 5-digits) I'm getting practically zip with my funds parked in my trading account.

At a half percent you're hardly better than sticking it in your mattress. Except for the lump of course.

I must not understand something here. You can get about 2.4% on T-bills. I'm guessing that will be up around 2.7% in January. If I can't find anything better I'm gonna adopt a rotating plan and park my money at the US Treasury.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:24 AM

106,790 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
What was the return on the equity part? Bond funds will lose money if longer term and interest rates increasing. Who picked the 50/50? If they did and the bonds are long term I would move on. 1/2% return is very very poor.
this is myth and not correct. it is not how you look at bond funds and compare .

High quality bond funds don't actually lose money if you hold them for the funds duration . ultimately you end up with around the return you got the day you bought that fund .

it is just that bond funds like a bunch of individual bonds have a time frame that you need to hold them . the rising rates offset the falling nav until you reach a point they equal what they were the day you bought them.

what people forget is that when looking at bond fund returns in rising rates is the fact that you need to go back at least as far as that funds duration to compare . .

so as an example a total bond bond (ftbfx) may be down 2.22% ytd but if you go back the 5 or 6 years to match the funds duration of 5.60 years , that fund actually returned over 2% which had you bought a 5 year cd back then is actually a better return , the bond fund did a bit better as they usually tend to . 5 year cd's at the time were 1.80% .

so everything is relative to what you were getting when you bought in .

for those buying in now , ftbfx has an sec yield of 3.38% . a five year cd is around 3% . 5-6 years from now the returns will be close . they both will be behind the curve if rates rise but both will get positive returns regardless close to what was offered the day they bought in .

so each high quality bond fund has a duration value and that value is your guide as to how long it will take to get around the rate you bought at .

you should be laddering bond funds the way you ladder cd's . you don't buy a total bond fund which typically has a 5-6 year duration for money you need in 3 years .

you buy a shorter duration fund for that money .

so as an example ,for someone living off their portfolio i would use a money market for this years money or an ultra short bond fund , a short term bond fund for the 1-3 year range , an intermediate term bond fund going out to 5 years and then a total bond fund or equal for 6 years or more .

so basically you ladder the funds and you won't lose . you may lag behind current rates if they rise but you won't get less then you were offered the day you bought .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-05-2018 at 04:32 AM..

Old 11-05-2018, 03:46 AM

106,790 posts, read 109,020,929 times
so as an example:

you buy a fund for 10 bucks and it is paying 5% to make it easy . this fund has a 5 year duration value , meaning you need to stay at least 5 years or it is like selling a bond before maturity.

if rates shot up to 6% the fund nav would fall to 9.50 but instead of 5% interest you would get 6% . the fund is always replacing older bonds with higher paying new ones.

that extra 1% interest will eventually offset that 5% drop in nav over the 5 years .

you will get your 5% eventually but you are still behind the curve since current rates are 6%. if you sold before the funds 5 year duration you can see it would be like selling an individual bond before maturity and in rising rates you can get less then the day you bought as a return .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-05-2018 at 04:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing