Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 10:09 AM

3,150 posts, read 1,604,883 times

Advertisements

I have a municipal bond with a coupon of 5.75% that is callable in July of this year. There is 12 years until maturity. Does anyone have any experience with a bond being called, i.e, how much notice is required, if any. There has not been any material events issued to date. What is the likelihood of it being called given current interest rates? It's AAA rated.

I bought this new issue bond from a bond dealer directly. Does anyone know of an alternative for buying bonds? I know it's difficult for an individual investor to get new issues. Fidelity has a very small offering. I am not interested in bond funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 10:37 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I have a municipal bond with a coupon of 5.75% that is callable in July of this year.
There is 12 years until maturity.

Does anyone have any experience with...
Just ride that pony as long as you can and don't expect much notice.

Quote:
Does anyone know of an alternative for buying bonds?
Alternative to what?

Quote:
I know it's difficult for an individual investor to get new issues.
The various agencies work through specific brokers to sell their bonds.
Do some homework for who the agencies/counties in YOUR state have used. Start there.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Just ride that pony as long as you can and don't expect much notice.

Alternative to what?

Alternative to using a bond dealer vs. automated trading platform, i.e., FIdelity.

The various agencies work through specific brokers to sell their bonds.
Do some homework for who the agencies/counties in YOUR state have used. Start there.
Yes, I know how to do the homework as that is how I found the bond dealer for the new issue in my state. But, it was a matter of luck that I got in on this new issue.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:27 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times
Expect the bond to be called. Question: Did you pay more than par value for the bond?

I would buy a municipal bond mutual fund specific to your state. The fund managers get first crack at new bond offerings not usually available to individuals.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:59 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,097,596 times
Quote:
I have a municipal bond with a coupon of 5.75% that is callable in July of this year. There is 12 years until maturity. Does anyone have any experience with a bond being called, i.e, how much notice is required, if any. There has not been any material events issued to date. What is the likelihood of it being called given current interest rates? It's AAA rated.

I bought this new issue bond from a bond dealer directly. Does anyone know of an alternative for buying bonds? I know it's difficult for an individual investor to get new issues. Fidelity has a very small offering. I am not interested in bond funds.
There is little to no notice given, you have been "pre-notified" at purchase & it's your responsibility to monitor current muni rates (from the bond issuer's perspective).

If the current market rates are lower than the coupon, expect it to be called. PERIOD.

You can go through a broker/dealer instead of direct, that way you get some help in these circumstances.

Fidelity has the entire universe of offerings at their disposal for bonds, whether you want to pay the mark-up is a different story.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
There is little to no notice given, you have been "pre-notified" at purchase & it's your responsibility to monitor current muni rates (from the bond issuer's perspective).

If the current market rates are lower than the coupon, expect it to be called. PERIOD.

You can go through a broker/dealer instead of direct, that way you get some help in these circumstances.

What help would that be?

Fidelity has the entire universe of offerings at their disposal for bonds, whether you want to pay the mark-up is a different story.
I do anticipate the bond being called based on current rates. I have set up alerts with Fidelity but haven't seen much in the way of new issues. I do know there has been a push for greater transparency for municipal bonds at the retail level by the MSRB and the EMMA website provides a calendar of new issues along with the bond dealer so I'm using this for now. The point of my post is to learn of other platforms for buying new issue bonds.

https://emma.msrb.org/EmmaHelp/Under...wIssueCalendar

Last edited by Maddie104; 01-20-2019 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-20-2019, 01:58 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
If the issuing municipality can issue new bonds at a lower coupon rate, your bond will be called. This bond seems to relatively high, which means the credit rating of the municipality is relatively low.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:07 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,097,596 times
Quote:
I do anticipate the bond being called based on current rates. I have set up alerts with Fidelity but haven't seen much in the way of new issues. I do know there has been a push for greater transparency for municipal bonds at the retail level by the MSRB and the EMMA website provides a calendar of new issues along with the bond dealer so I'm using this for now. The point of my post is to learn of other platforms for buying new issue bonds.

https://emma.msrb.org/EmmaHelp/Under...wIssueCalendar
The most common method's will be through a B/D such as Schwab or TD. I mention these two b/c I know they charge $1/bond as the commission and/or "markup".

Old 01-21-2019, 09:34 PM

132 posts, read 119,916 times
That's right, the notice comes after the bond is called. It is their right (usually, the way they issue the bond) to call it whenever they want to do it. That is a high interest muni, btw.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motterpaul View Post
That's right, the notice comes after the bond is called. It is their right (usually, the way they issue the bond) to call it whenever they want to do it. That is a high interest muni, btw.
It was offered as a Build America Bond with a 35% interest subsidity by the Federal government about ten years ago. So, it's federally taxable but not subject to state tax. A twenty two year bond when purchased. Still a good rate for a AAA rated bond. I read the prospectus at purchase and its callable at par after July 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing