Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should you run to cash if you fear a market downturn?
Yes: if there is a big drop you can preserve your wealth and then buy back in for huge gains 6 9.38%
Middle Route: It doesn't hurt to take a little off the top for future opportunities 23 35.94%
No: The statistics show that keeping your money invested beats cash overwhelmingly 35 54.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 09:08 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Pretty sure I’ve read here in this forum, and many others, over and over again....trying to time the market is a bad idea.
No matter what the experts say (and they too say never try to time the market), there remain a significant number of "IKnowBetter"s who are bound and determined to shoot themselves in the foot because they know of or heard about some guy who made a lot of $$$$ timing the market and they think they can do it too. Or someone does it once and it works out and they think they can trust themselves to be right most of the time.

And I'll let you in on a little secret: people on the Interwebs lie. Not all, but some do, even in this corner of the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 10:50 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
No matter what the experts say (and they too say never try to time the market), there remain a significant number of "IKnowBetter"s who are bound and determined to shoot themselves in the foot because they know of or heard about some guy who made a lot of $$$$ timing the market and they think they can do it too. Or someone does it once and it works out and they think they can trust themselves to be right most of the time.

And I'll let you in on a little secret: people on the Interwebs lie. Not all, but some do, even in this corner of the Internet.
You think that is a secret? LOL.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:41 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
It is tempting to try and time the market.

There are lots of reasons to think that the stock market might be overpriced at the moment.

https://mebfaber.com/2019/01/25/the-...d-in-40-years/

Including compared to other major stock markets.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...rld-2017-12-28

Some people say QE helped cause the major rise in the stock market.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-f...194426366.html

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/st...uth-2019-01-05

However, to time the market you have to time it well twice...when to get out and when to get back in.

Doesn't the math say you are more likely to come out ahead by sticking it out in stocks as opposed to running to cash when you fear a downturn?

When Is The Best Time To Invest?
Tried it...failed...never again. If you get nervous, lower equity holdings a few percent..but bailing on the market? Like you said..when do you get back in? With this rip up from December..we KNOW there are people that were on here bragging about bailing..you can bet they never got back in in time.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:06 AM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You think that is a secret? LOL.
I was being facetious.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:57 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
I did not make a single trade last year, although I did buy something.
I'm holding BEAT and NVTA. Up about 300%.

So, no. I don't think stocks can be timed. You'll just generate a tax bill, anyway.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:31 PM

703 posts, read 613,063 times
I haven't been a "plunger" as far as market timing but I have been in and out on what I considered fairly obvious signals over the years and haven't suffered. And I slept much better in the interim. Believing it always comes back is, at best, just rolling the dice like a market timer albeit dice with historically better odds. But that's all it is. Playing the odds. Or worse, it's something taken on faith.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:37 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
this video sums it up nicely:

In summary: Market timing - DON'T DO IT!!! because YOU CANNOT! And you will lose money trying.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:50 PM

37 posts, read 19,009 times
The market direction is determined by earnings and as long as we have President Trump I will be bullish.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:01 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
What is the definition of timing the market?

Going from equity positions to mattress?
Shifting from equities to bonds or vice versa?
Buying sectors that have begun selling off and selling sectors that have been rallying?
Limit Orders on specific issues?

I'd be the first to agree with animal spirits being a primary mover of Wall Street, but there's strings attached. Efficient market thesis may apply the most heavily traded and watched stocks, but maybe not so much in stocks not in the spotlight.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:44 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Retired. Trade in individual stocks. Fun money. The idea is to buy value (up or down) and to attempt to time the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing