Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 06:43 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,996,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I can see Monday being a bump day with the stimulus package officially signed.
I’m pretty sure the market has already priced that in. The yes vote was a slam dunk. The bump in the DOW up until Thursday was reflective of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 07:07 AM

7,864 posts, read 10,351,047 times
While the wisdom of hindsight has no value, there was no way the market was going to go up sharply three days in a row under the present circumstances.

Yesterday was the easiest short ever

Last edited by irish_bob; 03-28-2020 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-28-2020, 07:22 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,216,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
While the wisdom of hindsight has no value, there was no way the market was going to go up sharply three days in a row under the present circumstances.

Ummm...I'll bet you dollars to donuts alot of people said Thursday would have been the easiest short ever too after two big up days with a huge downslide at the end of the second day while throwing in a 3.2 million person unemployment hit. They got killed. Everything is easy after the fact.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:03 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,964,235 times
I'm not into predicting the day-to-day movements of the Markets.

In the longer term, I think we're looking at the classic W-shaped recovery. The one where there's a short uptick, followed by another decline, usually steeper than the first decline. There's been a lot of damage inflicted on this economy, first by the Pandemic. And then by the way the Feds have reacted to it.

The Prez needs a strong economy to have any chance of winning in November. It was the only achievement he could claim. There's no Wall. There's no Muslim Ban. Nobody got Locked Up (except for his Campaign Mgr and his personal Attorneys).

If this economy starts backsliding south again.....there's no ammunition left to slow it down.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:08 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,972,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

I almost never short, I went short with SDOW going into Friday as I also felt the writing was all over the wall that was a Bull Trap. I absolutely HATE betting against the overall economy, but it's just the reality. I also would never think to hold a 3x short position through the weekend but that is exactly what I am doing as I also expect Monday to be BAD, possibly even another circuit breaker day.

I didn't touch my 401k so that's still down pretty good, but all my other floating investments I went cash pretty early on, I've since been able to jump in and out of a few "easy" plays (Clorox was a no brainer early on). I'm up well over 20% in March and if Monday is as bad as I think it could be I could be up 50% by weeks end. This is all on a much smaller portion vs my overall investments. But when everything eventually turns around and I go long again, this will have turned out to be very positive for my long term wealth.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:22 AM

30,756 posts, read 18,466,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I'm only talking about the rapid stock fluctuations and high volatility, not the more gruesome aspects of this Covid stuff. That would be inhumane.

I guess a better way to phrase it is that I'm having fun learning first hand about the markets, how fickle they are, and everything that can go wrong in investing.
That was clear to me.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:26 AM

30,756 posts, read 18,466,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
WeekendWallStreet future down -346 right now.

BLOO . . . .
I have no problem with people giving their opinions and making predictions (that's what this forum is for), but you've become more than a broken record for my liking and aren't really adding anything new or nuanced. Temporary time out (i.e. ignore list) for you

Old 03-28-2020, 09:35 AM

5,910 posts, read 4,463,903 times
I’d expect it to be a down week. The market reacted to the stimulus but it’s not a “real” rally.

In addition to crushing unemployment numbers, many businesses are slashing the pay of the workers. I don’t see how this won’t end up being a depression. I never thought I’d live through worse than being at the epicenter of the Great Recession but I don’t see how this isn’t far worse.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vFZZF39fgWM

In the end, I expect us to go down to the 14,000 to 16,000 range. 10,000 as a worst case scenario.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 03-28-2020 at 09:47 AM..

Old 03-28-2020, 10:06 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,831,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Can someone define "bloodbath"? Is it 3% down, 5% down, 10% down?
It’s when Frank says it is.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:07 AM

20,258 posts, read 9,181,532 times
NEWSFLASH:

The market will go up and down, always has, always will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing