Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 10:24 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times

Advertisements

I am loathe to "make money" off any crisis and death...I am on the sidelines.

However, having always been lifestyle person I can't help think that we will have many changes when this fades.

My guess is a combo of "Baby Boom" and "Live for Now" and perhaps even "DIY Live Simpler".....some of which were already happening among younger generations.

Some investments might be fairly obvious - Amazon and other companies that are "anti-shopping" (brick and mortar) would seem to benefit due to many factors including the time and energy savings.

But it's late stage for Zoom (teleconferencing) and even Amazon.

Firstly, does anyone else agree that this will change the lifestyles or bend the curve in the way I express? And, secondly, which sectors might benefit in the 2-10 years time frame?

It's easy for me to consider what NOT to invest in (fossil fuels, hotels, office buildings, real estate in general, etc.).....but harder to see exactly what might be worthwhile. In general if the investments are obvious then it is too late.

That's why I am thinking that some of you might suggest sectors or industries...and give reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 11:00 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Once RCL and CCL start considering bankruptcy backup plans, I would take a shot at them. I want them to come down another 50% further first.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:20 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,312,397 times
Quote:
Some investments might be fairly obvious - Amazon and other companies that are "anti-shopping" (brick and mortar) would seem to benefit
If you believe brick and mortar shopping is going to continue to dwindle, thank forget Amazon...if everyone is shopping from home more and more often, and for more and more products involved in every aspect of their lives, then cash transaction will also continue to dwindle and MA and V are the stocks to own. I've used this recent chaos to build a large (for my portfolio) position in V myself.

My next best idea is SBUX and DNKN...I don't believe either chain will be as nearly affected by this as other fast food places and sit down dining restaurants, as they probably do 95-95% of their business as take out or drive thru anyway. I'm betting on these two to bounce back hard and fast as things start to get better...I'm a New Englander and will probably buy some DNKN if the share pull back another 10-20%.

Also perhaps food and beverage producers that will benefit from more eating at home and less take out or sit down dining out...TYN, CAG, K, GIS, KHC, CPB, KO, PEP etc...maybe even larger grocery retailers like WMT, TGT, and KR.

Liquor stocks because of all the depressed, self absorbed millennials who can't run out and get their "experiences" like cruises, theme parks, etc...try DEO, BF.B, SAM, BUD, TAP, STZ, etc....pot stocks too I'm sure.

Still thinking about bottom fishing on RCL/DAL (or LUV) but agree with bmx335xi, prices need to be lower than they are right now before I'll do that.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:41 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
If you wish to speculate, maybe:

Service Corportation International - SCI.

1-800-Flowers. FLWS

Old 03-29-2020, 01:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Thanks...so far.....

As far as bottom fishing, that has never been my thing but the V and MC kind of thing makes some sense. I had sold all my BRKA a few months ago - but at a much lower price I would buy back as he owns a pretty good portfolio of stuff that won't go away (railroads, apple. machine tools, insurance, private jets, etc.).

That's a conservative investment, of course. I should have mentioned that I am 66 and in general already achieved my dreams so don't need to risk. Still, I always like to invest intelligently.

Some may not agree but I own T which I added to recently. People are not going to stop using communications.

My take is that indexes will not do as well as sector or picking for a little while - unless those indexes happen to be updated quickly based on the companies that prosper (to some degree some of them are).

Virtual reality has been hot for a long time, but we truly are on the cusp of the real thing at consumer pricing. But I guess it's a matter of the valuation of the content and hardware makers. \

I'll throw some of those symbols in my watch list and look at the stats. Thx.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:06 PM

13,079 posts, read 7,523,914 times
see, Share Your Trades as you make them, . https://www.city-data.com/forum/inve...make-them.html

I make no recommendations.
YMMV

Old 03-29-2020, 02:20 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,338,553 times
Looking at JNJ and WFC right now.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:09 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,606,610 times
For a big risk/reward, you go with GLCNF. Glencore is the largest producer of Cobalt, which is used in lithium battery production. There's basically one spot that has a ton of it. Congo. Yeah, war-torn, Ebola strewn, dictator run Congo. These guys control the main mine. A lot of countries question how they got it...and it's obvious that one doesn't just fill out some paperwork and proceed there so they're likely guilty....yeah, there's strikes going on and distribution is tough and the local cronies are all vying for a slice of the good stuff.....but there it is....sitting at $1.53 a share. When the locals got too rough, they shut the mine down and put everyone out of work. It's a game of chicken to see who will blink first at the moment.

Anyway, that's the super hot girl I know who's also bat sh*t crazy. She's checking you out with a leather bustier as she licks the handle of a whip. Lot of other dudes making muffled moans from the beatings she's given them all....but she's still there looking good. Wanna play?

Old 02-16-2021, 09:36 AM

7,649 posts, read 4,606,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
For a big risk/reward, you go with GLCNF. Glencore is the largest producer of Cobalt, which is used in lithium battery production. There's basically one spot that has a ton of it. Congo. Yeah, war-torn, Ebola strewn, dictator run Congo. These guys control the main mine. A lot of countries question how they got it...and it's obvious that one doesn't just fill out some paperwork and proceed there so they're likely guilty....yeah, there's strikes going on and distribution is tough and the local cronies are all vying for a slice of the good stuff.....but there it is....sitting at $1.53 a share. When the locals got too rough, they shut the mine down and put everyone out of work. It's a game of chicken to see who will blink first at the moment.

Anyway, that's the super hot girl I know who's also bat sh*t crazy. She's checking you out with a leather bustier as she licks the handle of a whip. Lot of other dudes making muffled moans from the beatings she's given them all....but she's still there looking good. Wanna play?
Harley Quinn for the win!

Old 02-16-2021, 11:20 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,334,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Harley Quinn for the win!
Good call.

Glencore ADR $2.55 low on Mar 23 2020, $7.98 today. Nice pop, eh?

How about Banacora Lithium PLC?

BCLMF: $0.15 on Mar 18 2020, $1.00 on Jan 11 2021, but only $0.65 today.

I saw in the news that both Glencore and BHP are boosting their interim dividends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing