Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2021, 08:13 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
That is a chart crime of epic proportions, especially since it doesn't even contain the eight month period I referenced. Kinda hard to make a buy or sell decision using a 20 year chart but, heh, you do you. Best of luck. I like the stock.
I don't make buy/sell decisions BASED ON A CHART, which was my whole point. Your technical analysis does. If I was making huge financial decisions with my own money based on the way a chart looks I'd probably end up broke. But like you said, you do you.

Reps, lol. I've got 5 on this thread alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 08:25 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
Owning the chartists, not going broke and getting internet points at the same time. Murica!

Old 04-12-2021, 08:32 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,403,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I don't make buy/sell decisions BASED ON A CHART, which was my whole point. Your technical analysis does. If I was making huge financial decisions with my own money based on the way a chart looks I'd probably end up broke. But like you said, you do you.

I think those of us using charts invest as well as trade. If you don’t trade they don’t matter that much. However say when I am looking online at buying a house, I look at past buy and sell prices as well. Tax history whatever. It’s sort of the same thing. When I play poker I tend to pay attention to the cards I have and the ones on the board. I am odd that way. I must be superstitious.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:22 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:

As I said before, the state of Florida has given me problems in the past but I do find myself repping your postings, lol

Old 04-12-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
As I said before, the state of Florida has given me problems in the past but I do find myself repping your postings, lol
Not that it matters but just because I am bored I see you list trades. So you don’t look at their charts at all? You just see the price and buy? You don’t even take a quick look at where the stock has been? When you bought AMZN you didn’t look at the chart ever to see what it did?

Anyway back on topic AMZn seems to be holding it’s own on a sort of down day. Yes, I also look at price action. LOL

Old 04-12-2021, 02:08 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Not that it matters but just because I am bored I see you list trades. So you don’t look at their charts at all? You just see the price and buy? You don’t even take a quick look at where the stock has been? When you bought AMZN you didn’t look at the chart ever to see what it did?

Anyway back on topic AMZn seems to be holding it’s own on a sort of down day. Yes, I also look at price action. LOL
Not really. I do look at the 52 week high and recent activity. I bought Amazon at $3104, clearly it was off it's high and on a down trend, AKA "on sale". But no, I am not someone who reads charts.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:13 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
What that chart says to me:

"Why oh why didn't I have the smarts to buy AMZN 2Q 2002 and then keep adding for the next several years, or at any time before 2010?"

Old 04-12-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Not really. I do look at the 52 week high and recent activity. I bought Amazon at $3104, clearly it was off it's high and on a down trend, AKA "on sale". But no, I am not someone who reads charts.
Not sure I read charts. I take a 15 second glance and that’s it. Anyway okay. Let’s see AMZN go Up from left to right. Oops that would be charts

Old 04-12-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
We're talking about Amazon here. I see no "resistance" anywhere in this stock for the last two decades (note this chart is dated but you get the point. If I'm trying to buy on a dip by looking a some technical analysis chart, I'd have missed out on tens of thousands of dollars in gains. Sorry, again I state "not applicable."
The irony you don’t read charts and use a chart as proof of your conviction in the stock. LOL

Old 04-12-2021, 07:48 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I think those of us using charts invest as well as trade. If you don’t trade they don’t matter that much. However say when I am looking online at buying a house, I look at past buy and sell prices as well. Tax history whatever. It’s sort of the same thing. When I play poker I tend to pay attention to the cards I have and the ones on the board. I am odd that way. I must be superstitious.
By "charts" we mean different things. Of course I'm curious about the history of a stock... the company's earnings, book value, market price, debt and so on. If earnings are flat but the price is galloping upwards, perhaps that's not the ideal investment.

But the persons whom in this thread we've dubbed "chartists" focus on the so-called technical indicators, such as the MACD and all sorts of volume and momentum stuff. The point, evidently, is that such charts give information NOT about the health of the underlying business but of the sentiment of the market... and since market-sentiment, rather than underlying business-health, is what drives prices near-term, well, that's what attracts the chartists.

As to your examples, first, in the poker hand, there is a good theoretical model for predicting odds of various card combinations. These predictions are so good, that a computer with fast calculation would have an advantage over a human player. If the computer had infinite capital and played indefinitely long, it would, I think, be guaranteed to win. So, a person whose mentality best approximates that of a computer, has an advantage. In the stock market that is patently not so.

In the example of the house, we have a very illiquid and specific asset, which gets priced subjectively (what the seller wants) instead of through market-forces. You, as the prospective buyer, have every reason to negotiate, for which purpose you do your homework. You can not negotiate for the purchase-price of a stock, unless you're the market-maker yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing