Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 02:27 PM

13,071 posts, read 7,505,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
is the selling done or is there more to come,tomorrow is option expiration day?
Look at Adobe?
Not until maybe Jan 3, 2022.
Accumulated some cash even though I had to sell at a loss.
Hope I can time the low or come close to it.
Having an attitude and ability to call trading funds as play money, gives one a lot of hubris.

Last edited by leastprime; 12-18-2021 at 02:36 PM..

Old 12-19-2021, 05:53 AM

3,782 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Those of us who are broadly indexed (including small-caps and internationals), who have avoided the high-flying, high (or negative) PE tech stocks or the internet mega-caps, have been patient for over a decade. We've seen a few spirited darlings receive the bulk of investor interest, and with that, the top-line numbers for the indices are deceptive. I mean, the S&P 500 rises, or holds near its high... but most of its constituents fare poorly. A few outsized winners hold up the reported numbers. This sort of thing is unstable, not to mentioned unpalatable.
Yeah, this is what I am seeing also. I keep a broadly diversified mix of stocks and bonds in my portfolio and the group of "winners" is narrowing. Once that happens, it usually portends a period of stagnate prices. I attribute some of that narrowing to the Robinhood effect of a bunch of newbies (the proverbial man-child in mom's basement) bidding up the name stocks in the game-like webosphere that Robinhood created.

Once the newbies start to "lose" money (i.e., stock price of the names go down), they will rush for the exits, maybe. Or maybe when they have to fill out 50 pages of Form 8949 for their Fed taxes, they will stop the daily bidding games. I can't predict their behaviour; it's like a herd of elephants, you just stay out of the way.

Utilities have looked really good for me lately. Nat gas suppliers are predicting 30-50% price hikes this winter and those price hikes can be passed along as rate hikes.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:17 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
The Robinhood gang has been quiet,you dont see many trading GME or AMC or chasing any low priced stocks

Old 12-20-2021, 07:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
Utilities have looked really good for me lately. Nat gas suppliers are predicting 30-50% price hikes this winter and those price hikes can be passed along as rate hikes.

Europe and Asia are paying $35/MCF and we are paying what ??

Old 12-20-2021, 07:43 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
The Robinhood gang has been quiet,you dont see many trading GME or AMC or chasing any low priced stocks
GME is up 20%+ and AMC is up ~40% over the past week. They rotate in and out of them.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:51 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,385,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
GME is up 20%+ and AMC is up ~40% over the past week. They rotate in and out of them.
The recent move up in AMC and GME looks like a bull trap. Both AMC and GME broke through strong support levels a couple weeks ago, and GME has already entered a death cross while AMC is maybe a couple weeks away from one.

AMC and GME's big moves overall are pretty baffling considering how bad the underlying companies are, but I really think hedge funds are driving them up and down, not retail buyers.

Old 12-20-2021, 03:31 PM

3,782 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101
Europe and Asia are paying $35/MCF and we are paying what ??
I don't know what you are getting at, but here is some news out of Minnesota today.

December 20, 2021
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota regulators have signed off on higher electric and natural gas prices for Xcel Energy residential customers.

The state Public Service Commission issued a news release Thursday saying the utility had asked to increase electric rates by 9.4% and natural gas rates by 4.9%. The commission said it has approved an interim electric rate increase of 6.4% and an interim natural gas rate increase of 3.9%. All told, the interim increases will translate to $5.54 more a month for average electric customers and 60 cents more a month for average gas customers.

Xcel wants to raise electric rates by 21.2% and natural gas rates by 6.6%. The commission expects to make final decisions on those requests in 2023. State law authorizes public utilities to recover interim rates while the panel evaluates a full rate request.

----
And then there are the ~60% rate hikes planned for Maine.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-hikes-over-60

----
So, like I said, I have been buying utility stocks of late. But I realize this is the NASDAQ hot-stock thread. Sorry.

Old 12-20-2021, 03:35 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
The recent move up in AMC and GME looks like a bull trap. Both AMC and GME broke through strong support levels a couple weeks ago, and GME has already entered a death cross while AMC is maybe a couple weeks away from one.

AMC and GME's big moves overall are pretty baffling considering how bad the underlying companies are, but I really think hedge funds are driving them up and down, not retail buyers.
Absolutely. Hedge pump and dump on retail.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:04 PM

2,612 posts, read 928,732 times
Woohoo!!! The Nasdaq is back baby!!! To the moon!!!

Still need to have about 2 more days like today to get back to my peak but I feel better than I did yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow I wont feel like I did yesterday.

Old 12-22-2021, 04:02 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I don't know what you are getting at, but here is some news out of Minnesota today.

December 20, 2021
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota regulators have signed off on higher electric and natural gas prices for Xcel Energy residential customers.

The state Public Service Commission issued a news release Thursday saying the utility had asked to increase electric rates by 9.4% and natural gas rates by 4.9%. The commission said it has approved an interim electric rate increase of 6.4% and an interim natural gas rate increase of 3.9%. All told, the interim increases will translate to $5.54 more a month for average electric customers and 60 cents more a month for average gas customers.

Xcel wants to raise electric rates by 21.2% and natural gas rates by 6.6%. The commission expects to make final decisions on those requests in 2023. State law authorizes public utilities to recover interim rates while the panel evaluates a full rate request.

----
And then there are the ~60% rate hikes planned for Maine.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-hikes-over-60

----
So, like I said, I have been buying utility stocks of late. But I realize this is the NASDAQ hot-stock thread. Sorry.
XEL is a good utility. Is it flashy? Nope. But it's solid and it will make some money over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing