Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 02:11 PM

425 posts, read 191,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Buying a nice motorhome for $20,000 may not be feasible as prices even for used ones have skyrocketed.
Yes they may need to wait a while to find a deal. I've noticed the prices are much higher now than just 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Never, ever, call any food as "cheap." A better term is 'value' food.
huh? What were you, Captain of your local food bank or something?? Never heard of value food...

Old 02-13-2022, 02:49 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Living in a motorhome is not as cheap as one might think and if they don't plan on traveling, then not much point in having it. A better option might be selling the house and renting a small apartment.
That's what I was thinking.

Or save 6 months' of the cash in an emergency fund and put the rest toward the mortgage.

I also wonder how useful a motor home is for someone with a lot of health problems.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:59 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Or save 6 months' of the cash in an emergency fund and put the rest toward the mortgage.

I also wonder how useful a motor home is for someone with a lot of health problems.
Good point. Unless you buy a very large motorhome, the bathrooms are small, and getting in and out of them can be a pain.

Old 02-13-2022, 03:01 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Quote:
Buying a nice motorhome for $20,000 may not be feasible as prices even for used ones have skyrocketed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorYetRich View Post
Yes they may need to wait a while to find a deal. I've noticed the prices are much higher now than just 5 years ago.
Since the pandemic started, deals are hard to find on anything.

Old 02-13-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Since the pandemic started, deals are hard to find on anything.
yes good thinking. He's a pretty good mechanic so he may be able to get a deal that way

Old 02-13-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

They live far from services and even if put towards the mortgage, he won't likely live long enough to pay it of. He'd be 85 and he's 60 on oxygen already. Although people have been known to live a long time on oxygen and he's certainly holding steadfast able to work half a day still. Gets on it. He gets off it when going to dinner or to people's houses. Or if they cycle for 1 hr.

He has no other health issues and the motorhome would have solar panels on it to provide electricity. As stated, in the winter (the other half of the year) they'd be at a KOA which is the same cost as their mortgage With the apartments going for that, there wouldn't be any reason at this point to move to an apartment.

It is possible he never gets worse, and so far, he's happy with just being able to breathe. And go outside for half the day. He sleeps MUCH better so their life is quite good. Anyhow it sounds like investing 80k is a good idea. He has a work van if they need to, they could actually stay in that but the KOA's are pretty fancy here. Having a main room with kitchen you can go into at any time, nice shower rooms, pool & sauna, volleyball area, trails, etc. It's not your typical campsite. That would save them 50% on housing.

Sounds like it's a good idea for them to invest 80K and buy a motorhome for 20k.

Here is Tahoe Craigslist w/ a good assortment of RV's/5th Wheels They own a 4wheel drive Jacked up Chevy pick up which could haul a trailer

https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/d/sp...445351629.html

https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/d/bi...445533705.html

https://reno.craigslist.org/search/rva

Old 02-13-2022, 04:18 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Quote:
huh? What were you, Captain of your local food bank or something?? Never heard of value food...
Worked as stooped farm labor since I was 6. Have a degree in food and agriculture. Worked in food production for a couple of decades and decided I hated it. We also had a farm. My family going back 5 generations has been in food manufacturing. Food is valuable and never cheap.

I donate to our community kitchen. I monitor who takes. I also take the fresh vegetables left overs, so that it won't get tossed.

Say a prayer for your daily bread.

I have no suggestions for your sister.

YFMV

Old 02-13-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Worked as stooped farm labor since I was 6. Have a degree in food and agriculture. Worked in food production for a couple of decades and decided I hated it. We also had a farm. My family going back 5 generations has been in food manufacturing. Food is valuable and never cheap.

I donate to our community kitchen. I monitor who takes. I also take the fresh vegetables left overs, so that it won't get tossed.

Say a prayer for your daily bread.

I have no suggestions for your sister.

YFMV
Amazing, I had a feeling there was good reason you used that term. I will certainly say a prayer for my daily bread. People like you helping out others is so wonderful.. God bless u.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:19 PM

946 posts, read 776,570 times
Quote:
They live far from services and even if put towards the mortgage, he won't likely live long enough to pay it of. He'd be 85 and he's 60 on oxygen already. Although people have been known to live a long time on oxygen and he's certainly holding steadfast able to work half a day still. Gets on it. He gets off it when going to dinner or to people's houses. Or if they cycle for 1 hr.

He has no other health issues and the motorhome would have solar panels on it to provide electricity. As stated, in the winter (the other half of the year) they'd be at a KOA which is the same cost as their mortgage With the apartments going for that, there wouldn't be any reason at this point to move to an apartment.

It is possible he never gets worse, and so far, he's happy with just being able to breathe. And go outside for half the day. He sleeps MUCH better so their life is quite good. Anyhow it sounds like investing 80k is a good idea. He has a work van if they need to, they could actually stay in that but the KOA's are pretty fancy here. Having a main room with kitchen you can go into at any time, nice shower rooms, pool & sauna, volleyball area, trails, etc. It's not your typical campsite. That would save them 50% on housing.

Sounds like it's a good idea for them to invest 80K and buy a motorhome for 20k.

Here is Tahoe Craigslist w/ a good assortment of RV's/5th Wheels They own a 4wheel drive Jacked up Chevy pick up which could haul a trailer

https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/d/sp...445351629.html

https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/d/bi...445533705.html

https://reno.craigslist.org/search/rva
I'm going to have to thank you for this post. I was looking at RVs a few years ago and I must say $20,000 for an RV seemed way to low to me as well.

And crazy me, I didn't even know Craigslist was around anymore. I'm way, way behind. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing