Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 04:32 AM

106,817 posts, read 109,073,990 times

Advertisements

how portfolio allocations and gains are expressed in these forums is all over the map .

you have some claiming very high equity levels , yet they only count the portion of money they want .

so they have maybe 20-25% or LESS overall in equities in a 401k or ira and sit 75% in cash instruments yet claim they are 100% equities with gains in the 20-25% area , yet the growth meter overall creeps because they are so high in fixed income and so low in growth vehicles

so including all cash on hand at the moment what is your over all allocation ? and tell us about your portfolio strategy..

right now with fuel tanks filled with the next two years spending cash we are

12% cash

51% assorted equity funds

37% assorted bond funds with a overall duration of 3.35 years so not interest rate sensitive much

that allocation consists of the models below

we have two years cash in banks and money markets

we use the fidelity insight income model which is for shorter term money , it is 75% less volatile then the s&p with 25% conservative equity funds and 75% fixed income funds

then we run the fidelity insight growth and income model , which is a balanced portfolio for intermediate term money .that uses much more aggressive equity funds .

we have our long term money in 100% equities via vti a total market fund and berkshire class b . , yes , even at 65 we can have long term money we won’t eat with for two to 3 decades if ever

and lastly an experimental portfolio that is a leveraged 60/40 that is in theory supposed to provide the power of a 60/40 with a draw down and volatility that is way less .

it is called the carolina reaper portfolio and consists of the highly volatile

20% upro. a 3x stock etf

13% TYD a 3x bond etf

67.66% dbmf a managed futures etf that goes short and long

so you have the weight of a 60/40 with the risk parity of the managed futures of short and long contracts.

it’s a concept in portfolio construction that has been studied for years but only recently easy to implement

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-23-2023 at 05:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 04:46 AM

if you google instant x-ray and pick the td america website there is an easy way to x-ray what you own .

be aware that when you load the td website it will look like an ad to open an account .

give it a minute and it will load the tool .

there is a line at the bottom for entering cash

https://www.tdameritrade.com/educati...tant-xray.html

Old 12-23-2023, 05:57 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,216,937 times
My total portfolio is, and has been, for many years extraordinarily simple:
All equity ETFs. Combination of SPY, SCHG, IWM, VTI with a very small and now tiny portion of international-SCHE, SCHF.

~98% equity. ~2% cash-money market.

It's extremely low cost and tax efficient. And volatile, but I'm fine with that!

Old 12-23-2023, 06:10 AM

my portfolios have never been tax efficient because most are in funds and not etfs .

but that can be a good thing down the road if one is making changes for retirement…

these tax efficient etfs can end up being big tax torpedoes with decades of pent up agains to deal with which can either delay making changes fully or else have to start them a lot earlier .

so they can be that proverbial double edge sword.

today in retirement i try to to make the taxable account a bit more efficient by using berkshire as a big position.

reducing volatility has been a parameter that was important to me once i retired while still maintaining an acceptable growth rate.

that is one of the reasons i am experimenting with these leveraged , risk parity portfolios

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-23-2023 at 06:21 AM..

Old 12-23-2023, 06:30 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,216,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my portfolios have never been tax efficient because most are in funds and not etfs .

but that can be a good thing down the road if one is making changes for retirement…

these tax efficient etfs can end up being big tax torpedoes with decades of pent up agains to deal with which can either delay making changes fully or else have to start them a lot earlier .

so they can be that proverbial double edge sword.

today in retirement i try to to make the taxable account a bit more efficient by using berkshire as a big position.

reducing volatility has been a parameter that was important to me once i retired while still maintaining an acceptable growth rate.

that is one of the reasons i am experimenting with these leveraged , risk parity portfolios

Problem I see with funds is every single year I get hit with capital gains tax in addition to higher ongoing fees.

I've really become immune to volatility...I really have.....sure from an optics standpoint it stinks, but markets recover and my withdraw rate is low.

Coming up on 7 years retired with my approach and even taking in account of withdrawing money my portfolio is up 65% in total. I'm elated. And the last 7 years have been anything but a smooth ride in the stock market!

Old 12-23-2023, 06:40 AM

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times
MJ have you ever used the Fidelity Insight Select Model?

I've switched one of my long term IRA accounts to this model and it seems to be a very nicely diversified aggressive model.

Old 12-23-2023, 06:57 AM

yes i have and it has been good ….but it does involve more frequent changes sometimes…it is also their most volatile being 20% more volatile then the s&p .

but for one still in their accumulation stage it has been great.

it was more a trading thing for me then a core

Old 12-23-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
My total portfolio is, and has been, for many years extraordinarily simple:
All equity ETFs. Combination of SPY, SCHG, IWM, VTI with a very small and now tiny portion of international-SCHE, SCHF.

~98% equity. ~2% cash-money market.

It's extremely low cost and tax efficient. And volatile, but I'm fine with that!
i wonder if many will post overall allocations…

it could be a bit uncomfortable for some if they missed the boat and all those trades or investments they post or talk about are really what may amount to a dabble with a good portion of growth missed on the bulk of their money if they are truthful

Old 12-23-2023, 07:13 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,625,027 times
We have 2-2.5 years of expenses in cash300k +/-, 300k +/- in bond through Wellesley/Wellington, 150k in a single name most of which I’m forced to do , 2mm in spy/qqq and rounding errors in other equity ETFs

Old 12-23-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
We have 2-2.5 years of expenses in cash300k +/-, 300k +/- in bond through Wellesley/Wellington, 150k in a single name most of which I’m forced to do , 2mm in spy/qqq and rounding errors in other equity ETFs
any reason at this stage you went with a wellesly wellington combo? that is usually a popular pre retirement- retirement combo rather then growth stage . the two together are about a 50/50

our cash also is about 250k for two years spending
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing