Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:43 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,115 times

Advertisements

does anyone else feel bad from profiting at the expense of others? I think there's still alot of money to be made shorting financials, housing, and the airlines, but it just doesn't seem right. what do yall think about shorting in general?

Last edited by Philosophizer; 06-03-2008 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
You need to know the game to play, so... those who are buying your stuff need to know the game (and quite often they may know it better than you). It is not BAD, as you are offering your option and someone else thinks its worth buying. It is no worse than buying 'distressed' properties, or buying 'loss leaders' at the food market.

Know your price, don't burn people intentionally, you will get 'adjusted' periodically yourself...

Old 06-03-2008, 11:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Do you really feel bad for the banks that you are shorting? Didn't they dig their own grave?
I might feel bad shorting a stock of small company that was doing something that would help humanity, but a builder or a bank? Nah.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 AM

879 posts, read 1,962,107 times
Shorting doesn't mean I'm rooting for the company to fail or anything like that. It just means I expect demand for shares to cool down for a bit. I don't feel any worse shorting than I do selling shares after making a profit--it's basically the same thing, just in reverse order.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I keep and hold. I am investing. You are gambling. You are damaging the system.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:31 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,366 times
Default wallstreet 1987

From the movie Wall street

Quote:
Bud Fox: How much is enough?

Gordon Gekko: It's not a question of enough, pal. It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses. Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred from one perception to another.

Look making money on stocks is not for nice guys. There's plenty of people out there that will eat your lunch if they get a chance. Think back to a point if your when you got burned on something. Do you really think that guy/gal that bought your shares really felt bad? I have to say I very much doubt it.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have never shorted but I wonder how someone that does is damaging the system? Basically, the companies operations and profits etc. should be what they are over the long haul and while short term speculation may temporarily impact stock prices they will return to their fundamentals.

I always felt that the gamblers generally were just making side-bets (with a house rake in transaction costs and taxes etc.) that didn't really effect the main "game" itself.

Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm open to hearing a different explanation.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
does anyone else feel bad from profiting at the expense of others? I think there's still alot of money to be made shorting financials, housing, and the airlines, but it just doesn't seem right. what do yall think about shorting in general?
How is shorting any different then buying? (I know the difference, I just mean at the feeling bad from profiting). Dont you feel bad when you buy a stock and it goes up? Some other fool could have held onto it and not sold it to you.

No, I dont feel bad.. The stock market is legal gambling.. everyone involved is aware of it and takes the risk.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:49 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,968,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I disagree. I believe shorts help to self-regulate the markets. Doom and gloomers like myself can find comfort knowing that we're preventing a stock from rising too quickly.

Then again, shorting BZH and making 10x was really really cool!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:42 AM

159 posts, read 632,213 times
Shorting helps keep a lid on this stupid market right now. I hedge my long term retirement investments by holding some shorts. If this market heats up and signals puppy dogs and everything nice is going to happen with the economy and prosperity, then I can handle a some of my shorts getting creamed if I choose not to dump them.
What I can not do is liquidate my retirement holdings willy nilly if the market dips alot. The shorts are in place to bridge/hedge a market that is volatile at points. I am counting on this market to keep playing games by the way. There is a stalemate going on IMHO where each side is waiting to see the other side blink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing