Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 08:25 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,173,486 times

Advertisements

I just opens accounts (individual, traditional IRA, Roth IRA) with Fidelity, for the purpose of SPX option trading. I heard that it does not pass exchange fee to customers, which results lower fee than thinkorswim. While TDA charges exchange fee, plus $0.65 option commission fee, the total is around $1.1 per contract for SPX option. https://www.tdameritrade.com/content.../TDA101302.pdf

But Fidelity's ATP is too slow, and don't have some features, which are in thinkorswim. In short, I don't feel comfortable using ATP.

Since they are new accounts, still waiting two small trial deposit to verify external bank account. I am planning to make small deposit to my accounts, but no plan to use Fidelity in the near future.

Question: Will fidelity close out long time inactive accounts? Or at least sending an email warning regarding dormant accounts?

Since Fidelity is big broker, I don't mind to keep accounts with them.

Last edited by Baike; Today at 08:37 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:45 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,339,476 times
From experience with other banks yes the account would eventually be closed.
You could set up your bill pay account to send a dollar to the account once or twice a year and you should be ok until you decide to close the account.

Old Today, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
From experience with other banks yes the account would eventually be closed.
You could set up your bill pay account to send a dollar to the account once or twice a year and you should be ok until you decide to close the account.
But Roth IRA is different, you cannot force closing account, since people cannot withdraw money till age of 59 ½

Old Today, 09:11 AM

7,766 posts, read 3,798,128 times
Regarding accounts with no activity - no, they do not close them UNLESS it falls within escheatment rules for missing people.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escheat#United_States

There have been cases of banks & states escheating dormant bank accounts of missing people who in fact are famous living celebrities, as an example. My point is they make mistakes.

Old Today, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Regarding accounts with no activity - no, they do not close them UNLESS it falls within escheatment rules for missing people.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escheat#United_States

There have been cases of banks & states escheating dormant bank accounts of missing people who in fact are famous living celebrities, as an example. My point is they make mistakes.
Then I will leave inactive accounts alone, don't want to deal with so many brokerage accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing