Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

(CNN) -- Individual U.S. investors aren't happy with the current bear market, but they're not panicking, and most are sticking with their investment strategies, according to a sampling of financial planners across the country.

"A couple of people have called and expressed some concern about what's been going on. But it's very strange; people really haven't been all that concerned," Ian Quan-Soon, a New York City financial planner, said about his clients.

Investors hanging in there, financial planners say - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 05:52 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
It may not be that they aren't concerned but would rather hang in there and hope for some recovery rather than turn what is a paper loss into a real loss by selling now.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:00 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It may not be that they aren't concerned but would rather hang in there and hope for some recovery rather than turn what is a paper loss into a real loss by selling now.
I agree with you. As I watch the value of some of my investments go down, I'm holding tight and hoping for better times in the years to come. I really don't want to sell low and lose even more money.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:19 PM

655 posts, read 916,826 times
I've been buying some very big value stocks in industries like energy and healthcare. Stocks I bought last week are at 52 week lows, on no bad news, just dipping due to market conditions. These stocks have forward PE of under 10, with huge cash reserves. and divends paying upwards of 10% based on current stock prices! It's an incredible time to buy. Never seen bargains like this before. The companies I'm buying have almost 0% chance of failure and with a return this high, who could pass? Sure their share prices won't go up overnight, but a modest 20% year over year increase is to be expected, in combination with those dividends? Who can pass?

Use an up to date, advanced stock screener and you can find them. There are some real safe and value oriented places to park your money. Stay away from the noise and hype on CNBC, it's all BS and pimping their own holdings. Do your own research, buy value with a high rate of return selling at or near 52 weeks lows and you will be very pleased over the next 12-24 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing