Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:11 AM

936 posts, read 3,189,690 times

Advertisements

think about it. if shorting is permitted again, then all those that have been waiting to short this market are shorting stocks, especially the financials. shorting requires selling shares you don't have, only to buy them back later. can this be why the market is going down today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 11:18 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
I am sorry, but are you asking just for the sake of asking? The market has been down the whole time the ban was in effect.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I am sorry, but are you asking just for the sake of asking? The market has been down the whole time the ban was in effect.
i realize that the market has been going down all week, look at what i said on monday here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...ave-store.html

however, i am wondering if opening up the market to short sellers, if this is persisting wall streets downside? i am asking it in the form of a question. i want to know others' analysis/opinion on the matter.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
The short sellers are picking those companies most likely to go bust..they do some research you know.
Short selling is not something new that just popped up out of nowhere.
Sometimes I wish the MSM would just stick to reporting Britney's daily routine.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The short sellers are picking those companies most likely to go bust..they do some research you know.
Short selling is not something new that just popped up out of nowhere.
Sometimes I wish the MSM would just stick to reporting Britney's daily routine.
i understand this... i am asking that since financials were opened up to short sellers today again, if shorts are driving down the market? you can only sell to start off shorting a stock which logic says will drive the stocks value down. when they cover their shorts, they buy back the shares to drive the stock back up. so my reasoning is that since financials were opened up after a month long close to shorts, this may be why the market is negative? i mean, after all, it opened positive by about 200 points.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM

I'm not privy to the inner workings of the stock market..but I think it would be pretty tough to say short sellers could sway the entire market..maybe a sector like financials but the entire market ?

No..we've been on a downward spiral here..investor confidence is shot and the fundamentals just are not there to inspire a rally. My opinion here.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm not privy to the inner workings of the stock market..but I think it would be pretty tough to say short sellers could sway the entire market..maybe a sector like financials but the entire market ?

No..we've been on a downward spiral here..investor confidence is shot and the fundamentals just are not there to inspire a rally. My opinion here.
it's most likely a combination of the 2. if i bet my life on it, i would say todays downside is 25% because of opening up to shorts and 75% because of more sell off due to lack of investor confidence... then again, i guess the 25% due to shorts would also be a result of lack of investor confidence, so in one sense, you can say it's due to 100% lack of investor confidence, which is what you're saying... so we're both right....hmmmm, if that makes sense

Old 10-09-2008, 12:04 PM

SouthCal..actually it made perfect sense

Old 10-09-2008, 12:12 PM

392 posts, read 1,552,393 times
This question may be impossible to answer. I'm not sure if the information that divides short selling from regular selling even exists.

I wonder if the short selling ban actually aggravated the recent selloff.
Consider, when a stock declines dramatically, many shorts will take their profits, and cover their short positions, thereby providing some buying support and slowing the decline. When the ban went into effect, were existing short positions forced to close?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
This question may be impossible to answer. I'm not sure if the information that divides short selling from regular selling even exists.

I wonder if the short selling ban actually aggravated the recent selloff.
Consider, when a stock declines dramatically, many shorts will take their profits, and cover their short positions, thereby providing some buying support and slowing the decline. When the ban went into effect, were existing short positions forced to close?
i actually heard the same thing, and in theory, it makes 100% sense. in conventional terms, considering the market is down over 1,200 points in the dow this week, it seems to be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing