Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 AM

231 posts, read 630,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Whats their reasoning for the bear bounce?
Markets go up and down and don't need a 'reason'. The market is driven by fear and greed. Today the market opened lower because it jumped so high yesterday. Otherwsie known as profit taking, aka greed. Area513 sums up the best advice for 99.9% of investors. For those who got caught being greedy 2-3 years ago and are now wondering about their near term retirement plans, reread Area513's advice. For those who plan on retiring in 5-10 years, reread Area513's advice. Unless you are a professional trader, reread Arae513's advice, and heed that advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:52 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
Markets go up and down and don't need a 'reason'. The market is driven by fear and greed. Today the market opened lower because it jumped so high yesterday. Otherwsie known as profit taking, aka greed. Area513 sums up the best advice for 99.9% of investors. For those who got caught being greedy 2-3 years ago and are now wondering about their near term retirement plans, reread Area513's advice. For those who plan on retiring in 5-10 years, reread Area513's advice. Unless you are a professional trader, reread Arae513's advice, and heed that advice.

Not sure why profit taking=greed. Lots of people bought into internet stocks/houses, expecting them to skyrocket. Im sure they wish they were "greedy" back then.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:02 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Not sure why profit taking=greed. Lots of people bought into internet stocks/houses, expecting them to skyrocket. Im sure they wish they were "greedy" back then.
Most of my investing disasters have come about from being too greedy and holding on for even more profit. This year I have been conservative and tactical and I am looking at net realized profits of around 7.5% of total capital employed in less than 3 months (not my total assets but what I am putting into stocks). It is important to set profit expectations and, when they are met, to realize that profit.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:13 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I sold last Tuesday which was 15% up from when I bought stocks when I started this thread. I missed the high, but oh well, and was hoping to be in for the long term but decided last week I do not trust Obama and his fiscal policies or the market now. 1st quarter corporate earnings, unemployment increases, real estate declining prices, bank loan loss reserves that are coming and waning consumer sentiment are going to be brutal not to mention global issues.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-30-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,558 times
I am an investing newbie. Besides my limited portfolio which is all mutual funds, the only investing I have done have been in CDs and Money market accounts.
On march 13th, I bought $10K worth of shares in a local company that is involved with making equipment that makes solar panels. I bought in at $3.89 a share and today it's worth $6.75 a share. Pretty terrific profit margin for a couple of weeks I thought! I've also been following a couple of other stocks that are doing very well too, though I didn't have any additional liquid funds to invest in these.
Now my question is should I sell some of my original purchase and diversify my money into these other stocks or just leave it alone and hope for continued gains?
What would you do?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:32 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
I am an investing newbie. Besides my limited portfolio which is all mutual funds, the only investing I have done have been in CDs and Money market accounts.
On march 13th, I bought $10K worth of shares in a local company that is involved with making equipment that makes solar panels. I bought in at $3.89 a share and today it's worth $6.75 a share. Pretty terrific profit margin for a couple of weeks I thought! I've also been following a couple of other stocks that are doing very well too, though I didn't have any additional liquid funds to invest in these.
Now my question is should I sell some of my original purchase and diversify my money into these other stocks or just leave it alone and hope for continued gains?
What would you do?
If you are happy with the profit then take it.

An alternative is to take your original $10k out and leave the rest in for a "free" ride.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:55 PM

830 posts, read 2,861,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
We must be nearing a bottom in this stock market. One big thing I have noticed is there have been no more massive layoff announcements by major corporations in the news lately. High unemployment numbers in the last two unemployment reports are reflecting past info.

Fingers crossed. We put our toe back in the water buying S&P index funds and global funds this week.

Anybody else jumping in? Bueller? Bueller?

Remember that employment is a lagging indicator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing