Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what is better a money market fund, a CD or a savings account for our emergency fund??
a money market fund 5 20.83%
a CD 6 25.00%
a savings account 6 25.00%
other 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times

Advertisements

We just got the money from the sale of our previous house. We want to put this money away as our emergency fund but we do not know where to put it. what is better a money market fund, a CD or a savings account?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:25 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Depends how much it is. Ours is in the upper half of five figures and is divided between basic credit union savings (where the payroll direct deposit goes), credit union MMAs (the second tier) and CDs (which we would only tap in a true and dire emergency). It's also divided between three institutions. But the rule for the money is that it must all be available by walking into a building and asking to withdraw it, penalty or no, the next business day.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:26 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
I would say keep it in a savings account.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:31 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
We just got the money from the sale of our previous house. We want to put this money away as our emergency fund but we do not know where to put it. what is better a money market fund, a CD or a savings account?
Thanks.
I say the highest interest of those three, making sure it's FDIC insured (FWIW). Money market funds are not FDIC insured, money market accounts are. Split among accounts; for example, if CD rates are the highest of the three by 1% or more, put the money you don't need for the span of the term in CDs. I'm using all three types of accounts, at multiple banks to stay under FDIC limits. Keep a close watch on what's happening to the banking situation; there is a possibility, however remote, that we'll have a major run on most banks, or that accounts will be frozen for a currency devaluation, a la Argentina. I hope/plan to buy a house again before that happens.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Depends how much it is.
We want to have a 9-12 month emergency fund. We think our monthly expenses could be around 3k/month but I have to do the numbers. So it would be 27-36k.

Does anyone know any banks that offer good interest rates? We are considering Ing Direct at 1.65% APY.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Does ING Direct have a physical building you could walk to if need be? If not, then no. For one thing, if they can't do any better than 1.65% you could surely do as well with a local credit union. For another, remember the purpose of this money: to serve as an emergency fund. I'd probably have half in CDs and half in an MMA, at credit unions. It would depend partly on their dollar thresholds for better rates.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Keep a close watch on what's happening to the banking situation; there is a possibility, however remote, that we'll have a major run on most banks, or that accounts will be frozen for a currency devaluation, a la Argentina.
Maybe I should ask my relatives in Argentina what they think about our economy. What I remember from when I visited was that they all were economists. They all knew what was wrong with the country and what would fix it.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Does ING Direct have a physical building you could walk to if need be? If not, then no. For one thing, if they can't do any better than 1.65% you could surely do as well with a local credit union. For another, remember the purpose of this money: to serve as an emergency fund. I'd probably have half in CDs and half in an MMA, at credit unions. It would depend partly on their dollar thresholds for better rates.
ING does not have any building anywhere near where I live. The reason for the emergency fund is to keep up with mortgage payments and bills if my dh were to loose his job. I do not foresee a reason to need to take all the money out from one day to the next.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,446 times
Quote:
Does ING Direct have a physical building you could walk to if need be? If not, then no.
I agree. Use only banks with plenty of local branches, and not those closest to failure, unless too big to fail I guess. I chose JPMorganChaseWamu for most of my savings. If no local branch then I think you can expect worse service, with a greater possibility of no service when push comes to shove.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,558 times
With my bank, in their highest tier, the money market account makes as much interest as their high tiered CDs. It makes higher interest than their highest tiered checking or savings. So, if I wanted to keep that money liquid and have easy access to it with out losing my accumulated interest (like a CD) I would put it in a money market account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing