Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 01:40 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times

Advertisements

I read in a Yahoo Finance article (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-Countries-in-Deep-usnews-14971805.html?.&.pf=real-estate - broken link) that it costs $1.8M a year to insure $10M of Venezuela's sovereign debt. That's about 18% of one's investment, per year.

Now, call me silly and naive. But I checked recent market prices for Venezuela and the 2027 sovereign notes with a 5.375% coupon are yielding about 9.9% based on the discount. How is this CDS not overpriced? It automatically results in a negative yield if you buy it. Are there really institutions out there paying $18 to make sure they get $10 that year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
There are guys I work with that know a whole lot more of the details, but in simple terms you are mis-estimating the nature of the buyers of the debt and the buyers of the CDSs. There are really different kinds of buyers of each, and they attempt to maintain a mostly liquid market by trading both the bonds and the debt instruments, as well a whole host of futures and derivatives upon which these are priced.

The tough thing is that in the tightest squeeze of the "global liquidity crisis" the cash used to settle these trades was flat out NOT there and that forced the big banks to have some very tense talks with each other and the government. Which as you probably remember left former Sec. of the Treasury Paulson looking like the grim reaper and Fed Reserve Chairmen Bernacke looking even worse...

No doubt there were some folks that did end up paying "more for less", but this was largely becuase they could not get out of their losing positions fast enough.

Foreign exchange arbitrage is not an arena that one enters without having a great big pile of money to loose...

Old 04-23-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are guys I work with that know a whole lot more of the details, but in simple terms you are mis-estimating the nature of the buyers of the debt and the buyers of the CDSs. There are really different kinds of buyers of each, and they attempt to maintain a mostly liquid market by trading both the bonds and the debt instruments, as well a whole host of futures and derivatives upon which these are priced.
I do remember reading that you can buy a CDS without owning the debt it's meant to insure. I didn't realize it got to the point that you don't actually want to own the debt because it costs you too much to do so.

Quote:
The tough thing is that in the tightest squeeze of the "global liquidity crisis" the cash used to settle these trades was flat out NOT there and that forced the big banks to have some very tense talks with each other and the government. Which as you probably remember left former Sec. of the Treasury Paulson looking like the grim reaper and Fed Reserve Chairmen Bernacke looking even worse...
Does this mean the "customers" of CDS issuers never actually had to pay them? That they made fictitious payments to, say, AIG which they recorded as income on their balance sheets? Or does it just mean AIG didn't have the money to cover its gambles?

Old 04-23-2009, 02:55 PM

The vast majority of direct participants in the credit derivatives markets have a very good idea what they are doing and what their "end game" is. I have no idea whatAIG's total exposure to that segment of the market, nor do I know if they participate(d) in Latin American currency speculation, but any firm that does has to have a lot of connections to a whole lot of very highly placed sources if they do not want to end up having some very bad things happen to them...

Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Oh, I have no idea what company might be insuring Venezuelan debt. I just listed AIG as an example because they're the most infamous CDS issuer. And agreed that anyone who wants to get into that market had better watch out for the militias if they want to live to see the results..

Old 04-23-2009, 03:32 PM

I was thinking more of the financial implications given the lack of transparency and capricious nature of federalization of industries, but guys with gun are also a part of the Latin American landscape much more so than in the USA...

Old 04-23-2009, 04:30 PM

I want to go back to what you said about the cash not being there to settle trades.. whose cash? The buyer's?

Old 04-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Remember all the talk about "counterparty risk" -- Credit risk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NO MONEY == the wheels grind to a halt.

The reasons are complex, but fall into a couple of general buckets: the money was NEVER there, as they instead felt that the risk of default was close to zero, the money was levered by other assets -- that moved in the SAME negative direction as the trade and demanded massive liquidation, or the money was tied to an asset that was SUPPOSED to be move in an offsetting direction BUT the unusual confluence of event devalued EVERYTHING at the same point in time.

More transparency and oversight SHOULD have been in place to test out these scenarios / verify the appropriate levels of reserve. Instead that is one of the big things that the US Dept of Treasury is NOW working on with the commercial banks AFTER the cows have been burned in the great barn fire or '08...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing