Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:34 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I prefer to put it in my 403B account. A 401K would work as well as some other similar instrument. I would not be too concerned about diversification because most of the time you are in a mutual fund with a retirement program. When you choose where to put the money I prefer the stocks. Money funds although "safe" don't offer the bang for the buck that the market brings over time. In the op's uncle case he should be putting off retirement for the next 20 years and place his money in the highest paying, although possibly risky, investment. Small capps are something that I like.

You can check out a prospectus for any retirment program that will let you know what has paid the most over time. Remember that risk is alleviated over time. In the past couple of years many lost money, but recently things have picked up. In the lean years you would have bought more shares at a lower price. When things get better you would have more shares working for you.

I am no genius in this line, but do know what has worked for me. Also I have many years to go before I am done. Time is a benefit to every down market.
You don't have to be diversed in your 401K. There are funds to pick from and Asset Allocation makes a big difference on how much you will have at retirement. At his age, I would do 30% Stocks, 70% Bonds. Conservative stocks.

People lost money in the last 2 years because of mismanagement. If you are close to retirement then yourmoney should not be invested heavily in volatile stocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
You don't have to be diversed in your 401K. There are funds to pick from and Asset Allocation makes a big difference on how much you will have at retirement. At his age, I would do 30% Stocks, 70% Bonds. Conservative stocks.

People lost money in the last 2 years because of mismanagement. If you are close to retirement then yourmoney should not be invested heavily in volatile stocks.
So true. My thought is that someone who has little for retirement though is not close to retirement, even in their 50's or 60's. I am thinking a minumum of 20 years out there for someone with very little savings or investments. More time means less risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing