Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 06:37 PM

5 posts, read 25,296 times

Advertisements

I don't use a social security number or file tax forms. I am looking for a way to invest with cash or other funds that can be kept private. Most investments that I have looked at require a SS number to open an account. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 07:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Buy commodities like gold, silver and platinum or rare coins...

Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
So whatever income you receive, you don't pay taxes on it, and now you're looking for a way to obtain investment income and avoid paying taxes on it.

You'll excuse me for declining to assist you in committing tax fraud.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 25,296 times
I have already invested in gold and silver for many years. I am looking for something more to diversify.

Jack, I am looking for investment advise, not an argument. I pay every tax I am legally made liable for.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:51 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Better find some other kind of help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanafreeman View Post
I don't use a social security number or file tax forms. ...
Not making any kind of moral judgement, just going to say I have known folks that have gone to court and lost big time over all kinds of arguments about why filing taxing is not legally required of them. Big mistake.

Similarly the laws that provide for the legitimate functioning of investment companies the protect their clients are financed by the income taxes that are paid when people DO properly file their taxes...

Last edited by chet everett; 02-07-2010 at 09:28 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 09:14 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
As a person who pays the taxes he is legally liable for (Federal, and WA does not have income tax), and gets about 28% taken out as a result, I find it reprehensible that you're asking a bunch of other people who (likely) do the same for advice on how to stash it away. So nope ... in fact, I'm halfway feeling that I'm morally obliged to report you to the IRS. Every time you post your IP address is recorded, and your name suggests you live in Montana. Bad move if you're trying to hide your identity. Not that the name matters ... your IP address is all you need to be traced to you these days.

May I suggest opening an account in the Caymans? Don't bother with Switzerland anymore, they're now the puppet of the US government after the crash. You can also try dealing drugs, that has huge potential savings, or you can be a safe house for drug runs up to Canada and the western US.

I won't bother on any halfway decent advice on you.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not many any kind of moral judgement, just going to say I have known folks that have gone to court and lost big time over all kinds of arguements about why filing taxing is not legally required of them. Big mistake..
I knew some of them in Seattle, a group called the Pilot Connection. They were selling an 'untaxing' package for a couple grand or so. It was kind of like watching a three-card monte game, with a 'dupe' (obvious accomplice) there to ask the 'right' questions and others to testify to their successful 'untaxing.' They had a flag salute to the old 13-star flag, just to get people in the 'right' frame of mind. It was pretty obvious they were eventually going to get into serious trouble, and they did. I never went back.

Fact is, whether it's legal or not is irrelevant. The agency that decides what is legal is government, and government is not going to decide that people don't have to pay income tax (no matter what the law says or doesn't say), nor is government going to declare any aspect of its operation invalid. Why choose to lose the fight when you can choose to win? No human being would do that and neither would government.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Am I missing something here... since when does buying a commodity like gold or silver require a tax return/form

Correct me if I'm wrong... isn't tax return reporting only required to report a taxable gain upon sale?

Plenty of people bought silver back when the Hunt Brothers cornered the market only to loose their collective shirts.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanafreeman View Post
I don't use a social security number or file tax forms. I am looking for a way to invest with cash or other funds that can be kept private. Most investments that I have looked at require a SS number to open an account. Thank you.
There is none that is legal. Pick from the legal options, and pay your taxes like the rest of us.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
If you're just interested in considering the practical effects of choosing not to "use a social security number or file tax forms", you might want to peruse the always entertaining web page on idiot legal arguments.

And another page that may be more useful because it's easier to read: http://www.quatloos.com/taxscams/taxprot.htm

Last edited by jackmccullough; 02-08-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing