Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,698,462 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody.

Anybody here investing in natural gas? If so which stocks? And Why? Where do you see natural gas going in the future?

I'm new at this,so i'm looking for opinions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 PM

26,511 posts, read 15,088,692 times
I am no expert, but I do own some stock in Chesapeake (CHK).

America has vast untapped potential in natural gas and so does her allies like Canada and Britain. Natural Gas can heat homes, be used to generate electricity, run cars, and even be reproduced from landfills and swamps. I really think this energy source will grow a lot in my lifetime. Furthermore, a natural gas combustion engine is vastly cleaner than standard gas combustion engines...which may be huge with the Green Movement.

Chesapeake is a decent company. I originally picked them, because they are (not sure if they still are) the biggest Natural Gas producer in the United States and have the rights to a lot of untouched fields - which I assumed meant a steady future. Then again, any investment in a sense is a gamble. There have been rumors that bigger companies like Exxon Mobile are looking to buy them out.

Additionally, according to ETrade, CHK has a Gross Operating Margin better than 92% of companies in its industry and an Earnings per Share Growth Rate better than 86% of its peers in the same industry.

Do some research first, I don't want to pump the stock that I own too much! :-)

Old 12-22-2010, 10:13 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,941 times
A mutual fund may be appropriate. Unfortunately I can't recommend mine since it is now a load fund (I got it when it was no load, so I have been grandfathered in) and I never pay a load. For an individual fund, the $ may not be in natural gas itself, but in the companies which own the lines which transport it. M* had an article on this not too long ago, but I can't find it on their site now.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:01 PM

26,511 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Newhandle, that is a great point. EPB is a good company for the transport of Natural Gas, however it is a limited liability Corp. like most companies in that field - so look into the taxes on that before you buy.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:22 PM

706 posts, read 1,309,454 times
Carl Icahn likes it, it must be good Just look at his success with Time Warner

I would buy an ETF.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:08 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,312,397 times
I'll go back to an individual stock - XOM. Their recent purchase of XTO Energy makes them a major natural gas player, and they're already one of the worlds largest and most stable companies, with a fortress like balance sheet, a decent dividend (2.40%), a long history of share buybacks, and at $72 per share (12.89PE) they have room to grow. I see energy prices (oil and gas) only going up in the short and medium term, and when it comes to stocks, you don't get any safer and stable then a company like XOM.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:48 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
I own natural gas pipeline MLPs, good dividends.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:46 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
We are in the middle of a crazy uranium bull market.

I have tripled my uranium money and am bummed every day that I didn't go full attack on uranium plays.

But it's still not over, with the spot price going up, up and up

That could be one place you can start.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:49 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi everybody.

Anybody here investing in natural gas? If so which stocks? And Why? Where do you see natural gas going in the future?

I'm new at this,so i'm looking for opinions.

Thanks!
Natural gas is not going anywhere. It will grow, but SLOW. And imagine the maintenance costs involving natural gas pipelines and disaster recovery and contingency planning. It's still an industry in its nascence. It will be good, if you do not need the money for 5 to 8 years.

Find the next bubble, and ride it, and get out before it bursts

Old 12-26-2010, 03:43 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I own natural gas pipeline MLPs, good dividends.
Yup, Morningstar ran the article that MLPs are a good place. There is a website dedicated just to MLPs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing