Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 21,786 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I have a few questions and was wondering if people living in Cedar Rapids (or Iowa) could provide insight. My current employer is talking about a potential relocation to Cedar Rapids, IA from Southern California. I’ve lived in Southern California my entire life and have always been interested in moving to another state. I was just wondering what type of activities there are to do in Cedar Rapids? What are the pros and the cons of moving to Iowa? We are a young couple in our early 20’s and looking forward to starting our lives together somewhere new. Any information is appreciated. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roeroe83 View Post
[SIZE=3]I have a few questions and was wondering if people living in Cedar Rapids (or Iowa) could provide insight. My current employer is talking about a potential relocation to Cedar Rapids, IA from Southern California. I’ve lived in Southern California my entire life and have always been interested in moving to another state. I was just wondering what type of activities there are to do in Cedar Rapids? What are the pros and the cons of moving to Iowa? We are a young couple in our early 20’s and looking forward to starting our lives together somewhere new. Any information is appreciated. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks [/SIZE]
Well, Iowa won't be nearly as exciting or brimming with natural beauty as SoCal, but there is plenty to see and do. Cedar Rapids is the second largest city in the state with about 250,000 people in the metro, and Iowa City is a college town of 150,000 about 25 minutes to the south...so between the two there is usually quite a bit going on. Cedar Rapids is the "big city" with the corporate feel and major industries, while downtown Iowa City is a little more urban, pedestrian-friendly, and offbeat. Since you guys are twentysomethings, you will probably appreciate the nightlife in Iowa City more than Cedar Rapids, although CR has its moments.

Like I said before, there are all kinds of things to do between the two cities. Cedar Rapids and Iowa City both hold a number of festivals during the warmer months, and Iowa City usually has quite a bit of live music. For arts, you have the Summer of the Arts in Iowa City and the nationally-recognized Des Moines Art Festival. There are museums, theatre, the Czech Village, Iowa Hawkeyes football games, and the local baseball team the Cedar Rapids Kernels. Cedar Rapids also has a hockey team called the RoughRiders.

For outdoor activities, there are plenty of walking / bike trails, boating on Coralville Lake, hiking and swimming at Palisades-Kepler State Park, and a number of golf courses and city parks. In the winter, there are a few ski areas in northeast Iowa, northwest Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Economically, Iowa is very stable and doesn't usually go through major swings like other parts of the country. Cedar Rapids and Iowa City continue to grow, and over the next 5 years Cedar Rapids will be building a number of big projects: new convention center, renovated arena, new central library, new amphitheater, new iceskating rink, and a new Czech Heritage Museum. The city is still cleaning up after the flood, but thanks to the flood most of these projects were kicked into high gear after years of delay. Roads will have a fraction of the congestion that Southern California has; traffic slows a little during rush hour, but in general commute times are very reasonable. When I lived in Des Moines, I could get from the farthest suburb to downtown in 25 minutes at the peak of rush hour.

The only cons I can think of are that you won't find nearly the diversity of activity that you have in California, and the weather will be an adjustment for you both. Warm, humid summers and cold, snowy winters...with a brief period of mild weather in the fall and spring. If you haven't driven on snow and ice before, that will also take getting used to.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:42 PM

30 posts, read 101,095 times
I was born in Iowa, and Moved to Oregon. Nothing can compare to the NW.
Iowa can be pretty at times...like the fall.... But... Believe me..if your moving from Cali..get ready to enjoy the peacful rolling acres of corn and bean fields. Slap some pig farms in the middle and bam..that's Iowa.
Also remember..as Mustang84 stated..."Warm, humid summers and cold, snowy winters...with a brief period of mild weather in the fall and spring." This summer was a winner. 102 degrees with 90 percent humidity. Add misquitos on top of that..now your talking party time.
Iowa city is probably the closest you will get to a big city. It's a bit more liberal than the other small towns. You stray too far from home, you just may get a crazy farmer after you with a pitch fork. LOL

I honestly don't think any Californian could handle Iowa, but you may be special.
Good luck

Old 07-31-2010, 11:46 PM

58 posts, read 201,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglefish View Post
I was born in Iowa, and Moved to Oregon. Nothing can compare to the NW.
Iowa can be pretty at times...like the fall.... But... Believe me..if your moving from Cali..get ready to enjoy the peacful rolling acres of corn and bean fields. Slap some pig farms in the middle and bam..that's Iowa.
Also remember..as Mustang84 stated..."Warm, humid summers and cold, snowy winters...with a brief period of mild weather in the fall and spring." This summer was a winner. 102 degrees with 90 percent humidity. Add misquitos on top of that..now your talking party time.
Iowa city is probably the closest you will get to a big city. It's a bit more liberal than the other small towns. You stray too far from home, you just may get a crazy farmer after you with a pitch fork. LOL

I honestly don't think any Californian could handle Iowa, but you may be special.
Good luck
temperature stays in mid 70s and 80s most of summer, rare are days that it goes to 90s, and 100s is at best one per year. It is humid at times. So 3 seasons are okay, but long cold winter is horrible, it lasts whole December, January, February, and usually half of March.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:46 AM

449 posts, read 1,394,241 times
C.R. is arugeably the best spot to locate to in Iowa; good public schools, relatively clean environment, lots to do (for Iowa anyway), good shopping, etc. As other posters mentioned the weather will be tough to deal with, especially the humid summers, and cold winters. Spring time in Iowa is truly dreadfull; cold, dark and dank. One good plus in C.R. and Iowa in general is that you won't have to deal with urban/social problems that plague highly populated areas in California and other urban areas. And, Iowa seems to run its affairs with a lot more common sense. As long as you keep an open mind and enjoy the pluses you might like it.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:12 PM

11 posts, read 31,768 times
I don't think snow is going to be a problem getting used to for early 20's people. I was never exposed to snow before in California since I never went to the mountain but I had no problem coming in the middle of the winter in January. Just wear lots of clothings. I love the snow! And summer thunderstorms are amazing.

I agree that driving in the snow will need time to get used to. Oh man. I've swerved, drifted, skidded, spin 200 degree to facing on oncoming turned cars, etc, you name it. It has happened about four times now. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Even a small 15 degree slight turn to the right had me losing control. I'm scared of driving in snow. So many really near missed accidents.

If you're open minded and actually think positively and finding things to do, you'll see that there's a lot to do in Iowa and will love it.

I now can't imagine moving back to California. It's such a terrible State. I didn't know that until I started road tripping to other States for fun. I plan on staying in Iowa. There's so many opportunities here.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:48 PM

8 posts, read 32,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endof18 View Post

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Even a small 15 degree slight turn to the right had me losing control. I'm scared of driving in snow. So many really near missed accidents.
I also am an EX- Califorian living in Iowa. Been here about 9 years now. Are you braking while turning? I learned not to break when turning....really helps with the skidding thing...lol
I still love Iowa, even with the changes of weather...maybe BECAUSE the weather changes, actually. Love non-threatening Summer Thunderstorms...wow!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 31,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDog View Post
I also am an EX- Califorian living in Iowa. Been here about 9 years now. Are you braking while turning? I learned not to break when turning....really helps with the skidding thing...lol
I still love Iowa, even with the changes of weather...maybe BECAUSE the weather changes, actually. Love non-threatening Summer Thunderstorms...wow!!!
I think it's the break was the main problem but even a soft tap does it.. I just need to remember to not accelerate fast. Well I'll just wait for snow again to practice driving in them. Sucks for the car behind me when I'm turning left, the next thing they know, they're turning left to me facing them.

YES. Same reason for me. Because the weather changes. It's amazing. I love having my windows open when it's thunder storming.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endof18 View Post
I agree that driving in the snow will need time to get used to. Oh man. I've swerved, drifted, skidded, spin 200 degree to facing on oncoming turned cars, etc, you name it. It has happened about four times now. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Even a small 15 degree slight turn to the right had me losing control. I'm scared of driving in snow. So many really near missed accidents.
It sounds like you're giving it too much gas or braking too abruptly. The key to driving in the snow is to accelerate and decelerate at a slow to moderate pace, otherwise you're guaranteed to lose traction. Also, different types of snow/ice will require different driving techniques...it's much easier to stay in control on powdery snow than heavy, wet snow.

It also depends on your car; front wheel drive is easier to drive in the snow than rear wheel drive, although I would argue that rear wheel drive gives you more control over the vehicle when you lose traction (because you can use the throttle and steering to get you going in the right direction again, while you are kind of helpless in FWD when it loses traction).

Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 AM

681 posts, read 3,036,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
It sounds like you're giving it too much gas or braking too abruptly. The key to driving in the snow is to accelerate and decelerate at a slow to moderate pace, otherwise you're guaranteed to lose traction. Also, different types of snow/ice will require different driving techniques...it's much easier to stay in control on powdery snow than heavy, wet snow.

It also depends on your car; front wheel drive is easier to drive in the snow than rear wheel drive, although I would argue that rear wheel drive gives you more control over the vehicle when you lose traction (because you can use the throttle and steering to get you going in the right direction again, while you are kind of helpless in FWD when it loses traction).
It makes me a little sad to be talking about winter driving tips in the middle of August, but winter is coming, I suppose.

Gotta take a look at your tires too--they can make a huge difference. If they're looking bald, it might be a good time to get them replaced now, before winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa