Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:08 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,476 times

Advertisements

Reading this forum I've noticed two things that come up a lot when midwesterners in general and Iowans in particular are discussed: They're really nice and friendly (no big surprise to anyone who's spent time there) but they can also be really blunt. I think of my own grandmother in particular; she was a sweet lady who was loved by almost everyone who knew her, but she would also tell you in no uncertain terms if she didn't approve of you or what you were doing.

How do we reconcile these two seemingly opposite traits? Where does it come from? What makes Iowans the way they are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:37 PM

72 posts, read 255,814 times
I don't think they are really opposites. At least the honesty is refreshing. Certainly isn't that way with many people out here. If people are able to understand that the other person is being blunt, and not have such thin skin, I think everything would work out

Old 02-16-2011, 06:31 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,584,330 times
We don't reconcile these traits. We accept that's how Iowans are, and not try to change them.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
We don't reconcile these traits. We accept that's how Iowans are, and not try to change them.
Never said anything about wanting to change it, I just want to understand it, something I still can't quite manage despite having lived there the first 21 years of my life.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
German, Irish and Scandinavian. They're open about their feelings and blunt, but I've noticed it's without that southern touch of disgust and the eyes of disapproval. My grandma was the same way - she'd always tell me straight up what she thought about everything, but I didn't get this harsh JUDGING that I've gotten in other areas. I wasn't meant to feel like I was a freak or bizarre if I didn't conform to everything.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM

449 posts, read 1,394,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
German, Irish and Scandinavian. They're open about their feelings and blunt, but I've noticed it's without that southern touch of disgust and the eyes of disapproval. My grandma was the same way - she'd always tell me straight up what she thought about everything, but I didn't get this harsh JUDGING that I've gotten in other areas. I wasn't meant to feel like I was a freak or bizarre if I didn't conform to everything.
..."without that southern touch of disgust and the eyes of disapproval." Huh? I've lived in the South several times and I can't associate whatever it was you said with anyone in the South. I don't think southeners glaringly disaprove of anyone anymore than they do in the North. I have to admit though that, the 'southern touch of disgust' made me giggle.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 PM

180 posts, read 527,079 times
From my experience in living in many places and from my own family, a lot of it just seems to be that generation.

The older, more experienced people seem to not hesitate to say whatever they want. If they don't agree or someone does not share their traditional views, they are not afraid to say it. They are not worried about offending someone or being politically correct.

My experience with the midwest vs the south and east is that at least midwesterners seem to handle things with a little more tact and respect. They don't seem to retaliate or hold an obvious grudge as much as others. They don't act as stubborn and superior as Southerners. Sure they have their own views, but you just don't see the protests, riots, and violence just because someone disagrees with someone else.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
..."without that southern touch of disgust and the eyes of disapproval." Huh? I've lived in the South several times and I can't associate whatever it was you said with anyone in the South. I don't think southeners glaringly disaprove of anyone anymore than they do in the North. I have to admit though that, the 'southern touch of disgust' made me giggle.
Well I've seen it a lot more in rural areas in the south. My friend moved from the Midwest to the South for 9 months to work in Arkansas. She noticed right away that people would say some pretty opinionated things, and they would openly talk about things as if that's what everyone thought and felt. They would feel her up to see if she agreed, and if she didn't, it was a pretty cold shoulder. I went to visit her and it all seemed a little more conformist - as opposed to Iowa where growing up it was a lot more live and let live. I'll live my life and you're free to live yours. Of course people tended to conform on a general level, but as far as things like having lesbian neighbors or friends/family/neighbors who weren't religious - that wasn't really cared about. As long as they weren't causing crazy harm to everyone and everything, then whatever floats your boat.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,255,216 times
In my experience, Iowans probably rank among the least-friendly of the Midwestern states. But the "blunt" thing is right on the money, Iowans exemplify "what you see is what you get". For example, the friendliness that eminates from say, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Wisconsin, etc. is mostly for show (especially Minnesotans - they're more outwardly friendly than Iowans, but they're also more patronizing).

Old 02-19-2011, 08:55 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post

If I may provide an illustration.....
The weather up has been somewhat chilly and when one pushes snow for an extended period ones mustuach tends to collect a residue. An Iowagen (or Minnesotian for that matter) accepts this as normal and merly comments matter of factly that one might want to simply wipe ones nose. Recently we had my wifes cousins from GA. visit, when upon seeing this (normal to us) event looked at me as if I was some type of untermensch crying with "OMG Ya'll are just gross".......As if she was beyond haveing a snotnose.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa