Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 AM

459 posts, read 2,228,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
That doesn't explain why 89 octane is cheaper than 87 octane. Why not use ethanol in 87 instead? I've been using 89 octane with 10% ethanol for almost 2 years being in Iowa, so far no problems. I know it doesn't hurt to put 10% ethanol in my car but more than that will kill the fuel lines, I believe. It's due to the acid content that can corrode the rubber linings.

The 89 octane in Iowa is cheaper because the state subsidizes a portion of the gas tax on the 89 octane fuel. This subsidy is used to promote ethanol use.

They do use ethanol in 87 octane fuel. Ethanol is alcohol. And alcohol changes the octane level of gasoline. 90% 87 octane gasoline mixed with 10% ethanol equals the 89 octane blended fuel we buy here in Iowa.

Using more than 10% ethanol will not damage your car (unless you have a very old car). Your car won't run right on higher ethanol content fuels, but it won't damage the car. Ethanol is no more acidic than gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quik Trip (not Kwik Trip....I've personally only have seen those in Minnesota) are prevalent in Des Moines metro. They advertise "Guaranteed Gas" prevalently in their advertisements and on their signage. Can't tell you want it means, but they do put emphasis on tharee quality of their fuel for what that is worth.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM

595 posts, read 1,173,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Just so you know, there really is no real "brand" of gas...there are gas station franchises but if you watch the trucks at any refinery, they all get their gas from the same place, so you will see the Hy-Vee truck pull out right after the Shell, Kwik Trip, and Chevron trucks.....
I think You are 99% correct ,I live in the south and We have a shell refinery that produces gasoline that is shell gas,after that then they sell the same gas to everybody else after they add certain additives. another refinery in the area PLACID makes gas and they call it Chevron,Citgo,AND numerious other brands.The Exon Refinery used to do the same thing with additives but they did at least start with Exon gas.I do not know for sure but I have heard that Exon has gone out of the retail gas market.The plants down her know use the name Hexon,Mexon,there is one more but I can not think of it at the moment.lOUSIANA law requires all gasoline to contain 10 % ethanol,but there are a few places that have not caught up.
On a different note I have a Flexfuel truck but the closest station is over 200 miles.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:12 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by financebirder View Post
I typically frequent Kum & Go, Hyvee on occasion.

Don't forget the Casey's stations... although I can't remember the last time I fueled up at a Casey's.

Kwik Trip/Star are more prevalent in eastern Iowa if I'm remembering right.

I'll use the cheaper 89 octane in my winter vehicle, just because it's cheaper. If I take a longer trip, I typically use that car as well. For something that should only get about 22-24 mpg, I have gotten 29 mpg out of the 89 octane from Hyvee.

My better vehicles run on 87 octane, and 87 octane only.
There are no Kwik Shops in the Des Moines area. They became Kum&Gos.

I go to Git N Go a lot, and there is also Quik Trip and a few Valero stations.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Quik Trip (not Kwik Trip....I've personally only have seen those in Minnesota) are prevalent in Des Moines metro. They advertise "Guaranteed Gas" prevalently in their advertisements and on their signage. Can't tell you want it means, but they do put emphasis on tharee quality of their fuel for what that is worth.
Easter Iowa used to have Kwik Shops, I think that might be what they meant.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
^ Kwik Shops are still in Davenport.

I read where Mother Hubbards Cubbard in the Quad Cities is turning into 7-11...Which is what Kwik Shops in the QC's used to be.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
^ Kwik Shops are still in Davenport.

I read where Mother Hubbards Cubbard in the Quad Cities is turning into 7-11...Which is what Kwik Shops in the QC's used to be.
Okay. In Burlington they because something else. Can't remember what! And in Des Moines they became Kum & Go.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 AM

30 posts, read 72,691 times
I was thinking Casey's bought out a lot of the QTs. But apparently not all of them.

I grew up in northeast Iowa. Kwik Trips were pretty common. Changed the name to Kwik Star at some point, but across the river in Wisconsin they were still Kwik Trip.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I was thinking Casey's bought out a lot of the QTs. But apparently not all of them.

I grew up in northeast Iowa. Kwik Trips were pretty common. Changed the name to Kwik Star at some point, but across the river in Wisconsin they were still Kwik Trip.
In the Des Moines metro Caseys' bought the Short Stops. QT (Quik Trip) is a different chain. They are found in other areas like Omaha (QT that is).

I like QTs, and I really like Short Stop much better than Caseys. Their pizza is way overrated.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:37 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:

Casey's bouight Handimart (I think that was the name) but I don't believe they've bought any QT (i.e...Quik Trips). QT is a huge chain, but Des Moines is as far north as they go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa