Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,086 times

Advertisements

Hell all,

My husband and I will be moving to Ottumwa in the next couple of weeks.
We have 2 school aged children and 1 toddler. I've read some bad posts about Ottumwa, can anyone give sny information or advice about the best areas to move to. We hope to find a nice community to raise our children.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,332 times
My husband and i are going to be moving there soon to but im kind of getting cold feet about moving there also because all the post that i have seen about ottumwa have you heard anything good about ottumwa? we are moving to get away from the city life but part of me is saying to try to find somewhere else that has a more positive outlook

Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 AM

135 posts, read 408,655 times
As I stated in another post Ottumwa is not that bad.
If your move here is to escape the hectic city life , you are not going to be dissapointed.
As for where I would recomend living, probably in the northern parts of town would be best.
However I do not live in Ottumwa and never have , I have worked a lot of construction in the area and visit there probably every other weekend.

Maybe some Big O dwellers could answer your where to avoid areas better , I have never had any problems anywhere in the town myself, but I never have anywhere I have ever went, unless I was looking for it of course.

One big advantage Big O has over the northern snob centers, its much closer to the states biggest lake and there is plenty to do in the area if you just look around.

Id avoid Albia & Pella however, the people there are evil !

Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,972 times
We live in Oskaloosa (about 20 minutes away) and go to Ottumwa frequently to shop.

I don't know where you're both moving from, but we moved here from Portland Oregon. Ottumwa is a perfectly fine small town. They're all kinda the same (not much going on culturally) but as opposed to crime in bigger cities.... Well, you'll be just fine.

By the way, Oskaloosa is a great place to live. Might be biased though...

Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,688 times
Default think twice

I moved to O'Town 20 years ago to escape city life and worked at the local hospital for 18 years until they started cutting jobs. I believe they are down to 500-600 employees now and it used to be 900. You have to have the right name and connections to count for anything in many of the community activities, such as sports, drama, etc. I'd think twice if I knew what I know now 20 years ago

Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 AM

13 posts, read 26,103 times
Default Not local anymore

The post-mortem to the small town hospitals local ownership is being written all over the country. Growing up in Ottumwa years ago we had the Catholic hospital which I believe was St. Joe''s and we always had Ottumwa Hospital. Ottumwa Hospital used to be downtown and I think maybe in the 1950's it moved to its current location. Both hospitals were busy all the time. And they were controlled locally. Today so many of these small to medium sized hospitals are owned by corporations in some large city hundreds of miles away. The board of directors of these corporations could not care less about the communities that are home to these institutions. It is all about cutting jobs to increase the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa