Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM

179 posts, read 248,058 times

Advertisements

I don't think there's all that much snow, certainly not like the snow-belt - I guess it's a matter of perspective. "Cold never bothered me anyway."

No davenport isn't the first place that springs to mind if you're looking for a vibraant arts community, neither is it bereft of art. Really depends on specifically what you're looking for. If you liked the town, and can find a neighborhood you like today, and want a very good symphony orchestra, a move back may be good for you.

I guess what I'lm trying to say is "arts" can be a bit of a catch all - do you really care if there are 20 art galleries per 1000 if you're only going to go to symphony? Do you care if they have a ballet if you're into Opera? If there's not much going on for bluegrass and it has some great blues you'd go to then do you care?

I apprecitate the negatives - I certainly don't want to paint Devenport, anywhere in Iowa or anywhere else as perfect. so I'd suggest if anyone has arts gems in the qc to share they do so, and the OP can decide what's most imporatant to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 05:26 AM

389 posts, read 671,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
No davenport isn't the first place that springs to mind if you're looking for a vibraant arts community, neither is it bereft of art. Really depends on specifically what you're looking for. If you liked the town, and can find a neighborhood you like today, and want a very good symphony orchestra, a move back may be good for you.
The OP seemed to put an emphasis in the fine arts as a requirement. That leads me to believe they're looking for an area where such things exist in substantial numbers. Davenport is not that place. There's no argument that Davenport has "some" art offerings, but most people really into art would find them to be rudimentary or perhaps even lacking in choice.

The Quad City area tends to get more excited about rodeo and NASCAR than they do about Van Gogh and Picasso. It's not a place where art enthusiasts are going to feel right at home.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:50 AM

179 posts, read 248,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
The OP seemed to put an emphasis in the fine arts as a requirement. That leads me to believe they're looking for an area where such things exist in substantial numbers. Davenport is not that place. There's no argument that Davenport has "some" art offerings, but most people really into art would find them to be rudimentary or perhaps even lacking in choice.

The Quad City area tends to get more excited about rodeo and NASCAR than they do about Van Gogh and Picasso. It's not a place where art enthusiasts are going to feel right at home.
Yeah, looks like we're pretty much saying the same thing.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:53 AM

459 posts, read 475,207 times
Some years you get snow almost daily. Other years you get almost no snow at all. I am very thankful and blessed to have an opportunity to leave the quad cities for good after being here almost four long miserable years. No disrespect to people who like the area, but I cannot in anyway shape or form in good faith recommend this area to anybody.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Some years you get snow almost daily. Other years you get almost no snow at all. I am very thankful and blessed to have an opportunity to leave the quad cities for good after being here almost four long miserable years. No disrespect to people who like the area, but I cannot in anyway shape or form in good faith recommend this area to anybody.
What did you hate the most about the Quad Cities? Was it the weather, or the lack of culture/shopping/jobs/etc?

Old 08-17-2014, 06:30 PM

708 posts, read 878,800 times
Bix Jazz Festival
Beaux Arts Festival
Ballet Quad Cities
Adler Theater
Ballet Folklorico
Figge Art Museum....actually a very nice place.
Quad City Symphony Orchestra

OP, have you checked out the website for any of these groups?

Old 08-18-2014, 03:24 PM

415 posts, read 1,739,481 times
There's not much in the way of facts in this thread. I've considered wading in, but there are so many people determined to convince everyone that Davenport is a pit of despair that I don't always have patience to battle it out.

To add to your list, Bucktown Center for the Arts, which is practically a year-round art fair, numerous small art galleries, the River Music Experience, jazz and blues fests, Broadway series at the Adler, etc, etc etc. Davenport also had the first municipal art gallery west of the Mississippi, and has one of the oldest continuous Symphony Orchestras in the country.

But, yeah... we don't like the arts.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Yeah Quad... It's almost like regular clockwork how it can be counted on that negative folks will drop in and dump on Davenport & the Quad Cities as if it is the "pit of despair" as you phrased it.
By comparison I've been around the U.S. & seen some real pits & dumps of despair, crime & poverty & places with no soul or hope.
Though far from perfect as it is, nevertheless it's an appealing place for me personally.
One of the charms of Davenport proper is how it successfully embraces The Mississippi River & the culture of the river perhaps moreso than only a tiny handful of cities on that great river.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
There's not much in the way of facts in this thread. I've considered wading in, but there are so many people determined to convince everyone that Davenport is a pit of despair that I don't always have patience to battle it out.

To add to your list, Bucktown Center for the Arts, which is practically a year-round art fair, numerous small art galleries, the River Music Experience, jazz and blues fests, Broadway series at the Adler, etc, etc etc. Davenport also had the first municipal art gallery west of the Mississippi, and has one of the oldest continuous Symphony Orchestras in the country.

But, yeah... we don't like the arts.
It's not that there's nothing to do...it's just that everything there is to do is rather unimpressive in scope. People who are seriously into the arts look at Davenport and just laugh at what is available. The local scene is amateur hour. It's a problem. Davenport is trying to position itself as some sort of hip, artsy place...and it is missing the mark badly.

The reality is it's a stagnant, Midwest farm-industrial town that fears change. People who are creative and art-minded wouldn't have Davenport anywhere near their top 20 places to live.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Yeah Quad... It's almost like regular clockwork how it can be counted on that negative folks will drop in and dump on Davenport & the Quad Cities as if it is the "pit of despair" as you phrased it.
There seem to be quite a few people who have this impression of the Quad Cities. Major US companies tend to stay away from it as well because they know attracting quality folks to work in such an area as Davenport/Moline would be difficult. Is it the worst area in the United States? Probably not. But, it definitely needs a massive makeover to even consider itself as a decent place to work and live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: