Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:09 AM

681 posts, read 3,036,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
They've been saying things like this since the 1970s. Yet we are right where we should be given the inflation index.

Could we please stop pretending to be Dallas, Chicago, New York or the east coast? People dont ride trains in those cities to save the environment or because they enjoy it. It is their only practical option because traffic is so bad. Traffic will never be that bad in Iowa.
You may be right,and you may be wrong, but in any case I think it makes sense to start the work on this system now. These things take a long time to build and set up, and who knows what the price of gas may be in the five or more years it could take to upgrade the line and build the infrastructure. It would suck to be having this same conversation five years from now with gas at $6 a gallon wondering why we didn't work on those upgrades earlier.

Also, we may not be Dallas or Chicago, but I'm sure there's a lot of international students, out of state students, Chicagoans, people without cars and environmentalists around here who would be exactly the ones who would "enjoy it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 PM

884 posts, read 1,034,696 times
Quote:
They've been saying things like this since the 1970s. Yet we are right where we should be given the inflation index.

Could we please stop pretending to be Dallas, Chicago, New York or the east coast? People dont ride trains in those cities to save the environment or because they enjoy it. It is their only practical option because traffic is so bad. Traffic will never be that bad in Iowa.
The oil crisis of the 70's was a direct result of OPEC Nations denying western nations whom supported the Israelis during the Yom Kippur War.
Also, the Oil Embargo of 73' targeting the US directly because of supporting the Israeli's, of course.

Our coming oil crisis will be a result of supply and demand and/or terrorist sabotage. Oil fields are "Proved" to be in decline as demand is dramatically increasing.

Wouldn’t any logical thinker only assume prices will reach unaffordable levels sometime in the near future?

Note: Price per barrel of oil following Sept. 11th attacks fell below $20/Barrel
Prices had closed above $100/Barrel in late 2007.

Last edited by Steve_W; 02-03-2008 at 12:59 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
The oil crisis of the 70's was a direct result of OPEC Nations denying western nations whom supported the Israelis during the Yom Kippur War.
Also, the Oil Embargo of 73' targeting the US directly because of supporting the Israeli's, of course.

Our coming oil crisis will be a result of supply and demand and/or terrorist sabotage. Oil fields are "Proved" to be in decline as demand is dramatically increasing.

Wouldn’t any logical thinker only assume prices will reach unaffordable levels sometime in the near future?

Note: Price per barrel of oil following Sept. 11th attacks fell below $20/Barrel
Prices had closed above $100/Barrel in late 2007.
So rising foreign oil prices mean we should build a mass transit system? I don't follow your logic. I would rather seek out more oil or come up with better ways to power our existing automobiles. The rail system from one point in CR to one point in IC may cost less than another lane. But to be effective there will have to be a lot of extra rail lines and depots put in all over each city for people to use it in their everyday activities. By then you are way past what it would cost for an extra freeway lane.

Whoever brought up this oil argument... it doesn't apply to I380. Cities add a lane to their freeway systems all the time. I think this would be a smart idea and serve the Iowa City/CR area for decades to come.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
So rising foreign oil prices mean we should build a mass transit system? I don't follow your logic. I would rather seek out more oil or come up with better ways to power our existing automobiles. The rail system from one point in CR to one point in IC may cost less than another lane. But to be effective there will have to be a lot of extra rail lines and depots put in all over each city for people to use it in their everyday activities. By then you are way past what it would cost for an extra freeway lane.

Whoever brought up this oil argument... it doesn't apply to I380. Cities add a lane to their freeway systems all the time. I think this would be a smart idea and serve the Iowa City/CR area for decades to come.
I brought up the oil argument as an alternative to your illogical presumption that a 3rd lane is needed between 2 undersized cities. I've driven I-380 between CR and I-City and there is absolutely no justification for a 3rd lane.

Is it to make is feel more "big time" than it actually is?

A train would better serve for working commuters to each city even though a train isn’t really needed either.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:49 PM

15 posts, read 99,998 times
A train is a ridiculous idea for IC to CR. If it was worthwhile, it would be financed and built, not subsidized with govt funds. People love their cars, the independence it gives them and they will use them, period. The volume of traffic on 380 isnt bad at all, I80 could be 6 lanes across the state and be justified with the volume of traffic, but it isnt an absolute neccessity ( yet ). If rail was the answer, why isnt Metra just totally ending the congestion in the Chicagoland area? Its limiting, often isnt practical to lifestyle/city designs and cars are still needed to get to the end point in most instances anyway. In Iowa, where it is more spread out, how is it a better option? It becomes an expensive novelty ride, thats all.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeneryHawk View Post
A train is a ridiculous idea for IC to CR. If it was worthwhile, it would be financed and built, not subsidized with govt funds. People love their cars, the independence it gives them and they will use them, period. The volume of traffic on 380 isnt bad at all, I80 could be 6 lanes across the state and be justified with the volume of traffic, but it isnt an absolute neccessity ( yet ). If rail was the answer, why isnt Metra just totally ending the congestion in the Chicagoland area? Its limiting, often isnt practical to lifestyle/city designs and cars are still needed to get to the end point in most instances anyway. In Iowa, where it is more spread out, how is it a better option? It becomes an expensive novelty ride, thats all.
Yeah, once again all that is the present. As the price of oil changes so does the entire transportation industry. Right now, neither a train nor extra lanes are needed.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Yeah, once again all that is the present. As the price of oil changes so does the entire transportation industry. Right now, neither a train nor extra lanes are needed.
I agree with the first part, disagree with the second part, i-380 would need three lanes each way if no train.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,191 times
The roads should be widened to improve safety and traffic flow (I-380 and most certainly I-80).

Regarding oil, I wish that we can go to electric cars that can run for long distances (which will come with futher testing and efforts by car makers) and cut down on our need for oil and be cleaner for the environment.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 AM

681 posts, read 3,036,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
I agree with the first part, disagree with the second part, i-380 would need three lanes each way if no train.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
The roads should be widened to improve safety and traffic flow (I-380 and most certainly I-80).
I think that's right. Either way, one or the other needs to be done in the next 5-10 years. There's also some other things that'd help, like a second North Liberty exit.

I don't think at this point, another lane is needed for safety. I haven't heard of a big glut of accidents lately, at least outside of CR. Based on my own experience driving 380, I can't help but wonder if some people's definition of "safety and traffic flow" is based around going 90 the entire trip.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Based on my own experience driving 380, I can't help but wonder if some people's definition of "safety and traffic flow" is based around going 90 the entire trip.
This is soo true, people go way over the speed limit on that road to flow with traffic, it feels *slow* when you're going 65-70!!! 85-90 is normal! haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa