Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,166 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Quad Cities in a month. I will be working in Muscatine. I would like to find out which areas are safest, since I will work a rotating shift and my wife and kids will be alone at night half of the time. Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 05:44 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,910 times
What's your budget and how far are you willing to commute? What else are you looking for besides safety? Much of Muscatine is fine, especially the newer areas. Bettendorf, especially the PV school district parts of it, is safe and has the best schools but that can be up to two hours round trip. If you're interested in small towns, I'd check out Wilton and Durant.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:22 PM

To buy, under $200K, to rent, max of $1500. Family wants to be in Davenport to make it easier to get to things. I'm good pretty much anywhere. I prefer the country, but they say they don't until they want livestock, chickens, etc..
I found quite a few places online that look good, just don't know which areas have crime. Don't want somewhere we won't feel safe leaving our vehicles out in the driveway or for them to be alone when I'm working nights.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:55 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasmanhoss View Post
To buy, under $200K, to rent, max of $1500. Family wants to be in Davenport to make it easier to get to things. I'm good pretty much anywhere. I prefer the country, but they say they don't until they want livestock, chickens, etc..
I found quite a few places online that look good, just don't know which areas have crime. Don't want somewhere we won't feel safe leaving our vehicles out in the driveway or for them to be alone when I'm working nights.
Where are those places you found? In most of the Quad City area your family will be safe. Property crime happens but it's not exactly an epidemic around here. For Davenport, the general sentiment is to stay north of Locust if you're west of Jersey Ridge. East of Jersey Ridge is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city. If you're dead set on living in Davenport, it would be one of my top choices if you could find a house you like that's in your price range. For 100k-200k houses I would recommend the neighborhood bounded by Eastern on the east, Brady on the west, the Duck Creek bike path to the north. My wife and I have lived in the area for a few years. It's quiet, close to amenities, parks and it's a short drive to downtown.

Even if you live closer to Muscatine, they have plenty of amenities and a nice little downtown. I don't know much about what it's like to live there which is why I recommended smaller towns if you wanted a shorter work commute. I would definitely check out Bettendorf. Houses in the older parts of town are affordable and still safe. The schools are also generally better than Davenport, especially if your kids are middle or high school aged.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:02 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,613,035 times
There's no where in the quad cities I wouldn't feel safe to leave my car on the street. Random graffiti happens but not very often.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. The homes we have found online are pretty much north of Locust and west of the 74.
I'm glad to hear it's a safe place. We lived in the Dallas-Ft Worth area before moving to Midland, TX 3 years ago. DFW was a real different place to live. Good areas and some really bad ones too. We are out in the country here and the wife and kids want to be closer to the things in town.
I know things can happen no matter where you live, I just want to do the best I can to not put them in a position where they aren't safe. You have both helped us to feel better about that. Thanks again.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:29 PM

Eldridge, blue grass, Buffalo, Le Claire are all small towns that are 20 minutes or less from the middle of Davenport.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:35 PM

The thing about Davenport is that one of its worse areas is also where the students, from Palmer chiro school and St ambrose University, live. It just looks bad.

I've lived on the corner of 6th and Brown. Bad area. And no one ever even looked sideways at me.

I'd go by school zones. I'd don't have kids but if I did I wouldn't want them to go to sudlow Jr high. Or Central high school.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the info. For some reason, my daughter was all excited about Central High. I think she liked the looks of the building. Any info on why to stay away?

Old 07-26-2016, 04:44 PM

Nice way of saying it would be... It's the school for the low income kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa