Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 07:41 PM

555 posts, read 501,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Whether talking about her politicians or too many of her people, Iowa, unfortunately just is not the place I once knew nor is it any longer a place that I find desirous as a place of residence.
I've been lurking in this forum for a while, as we are considering a move to Iowa for my spouse's job. I just have to say you really like to use a broad stroke of sloppy paint to draw a picture here. I'm not a Trump voter, I abhor the whole immigrant executive order, but, while I tried to find something corroborating the OP's story on King (the guy clearly is a Trump supporter, but can't find anything that he said this particular statement about the Australian immigrants)... I didn't see anything, but I DID find Rep Loebsack, whom I presume was actually elected *by people in Iowa* -- and his statement that strongly opposed the executive order. It's obvious you don't live in Iowa, so why the need to slam everybody in the whole state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
It now seems evident that Iowa is not immune to & now embraces the mass rush down toward the lowest common denominator in American government & society & is headed toward embracing a "civility" that is lacking old fashioned, just plain graciousness & respect toward one another
Are you sure you're not talking about yourself? You have the time to go on an Internet forum and support a post on a story that could be fake news just so you could tell everyone in a state you don't live in that they're rushing toward the lowest common denominator? Classy. Also, way to be a problem-solver. That'll really get people on your side of the aisle.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
I'll defend atler. I think his heart is in the right place but I would imagine he isn't spending any quality time with people that vote differently then himself and his majority of acquaintances. I say this because a lot of comments come off as caricatures of real people who happen to vote differently.

I'm far from perfect myself, but I'm married to someone who generally votes the opposite of me. I also have family, friends, and loved ones that I know voted for Trump. At the same respect, I have very liberal friends and family as well. One of my friends was the state campaign chair for Howard Dean. We discuss politics, religion(he's an atheist) and other hot button issues often coming from completely different worldviews.

Intermingling with others (internet forums or FAcebook do not count) that hold different views are very important. It is too easy to just hang with your our own "tribe". When you do, you start making conclusions that if they believe X, they must be on George Soro's email newsletter mailing list and watch MSNBC 24/7. Likewise, if the believe Z, they orship Alt Right loud mouths and believe anything Fox News tells them.

Both are insulting and dehumanizing (and honestly, intellectually lazy) and both come from a place, in my opinion, of not spending time with others who hold different worldviews. If instead, we all made efforts to get to know people that are different than us and maybe even understand (not necessarily agree) with where they perspectives come from, we'd all have a lot less anxiety about how people end up voting in the end.

As an aside -- Steve King has faced weak opponent after weak opponent in his district. Some of his longevity is simply due to voters being offered no viable alternative.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:55 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
I love this comment one of my Facebook friends posted after the election.

Before you castigate or gloat, ask yourself this: how much time do you spend in the part of America that voted the opposite color that yours did?

Maybe what we need today is not more name calling, grandstanding or vitriol. Maybe what we need is more understanding. Walk a mile in their shoes.

America is a good country full of good people. Let's rise above our leaders, not stoop to their level. If we want kindness, compassion and understanding, let's all try to be kind, compassionate and understanding.

Change begins with me.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:13 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I've been lurking in this forum for a while, as we are considering a move to Iowa for my spouse's job. I just have to say you really like to use a broad stroke of sloppy paint to draw a picture here. I'm not a Trump voter, I abhor the whole immigrant executive order, but, while I tried to find something corroborating the OP's story on King (the guy clearly is a Trump supporter, but can't find anything that he said this particular statement about the Australian immigrants)... I didn't see anything, but I DID find Rep Loebsack, whom I presume was actually elected *by people in Iowa* -- and his statement that strongly opposed the executive order. It's obvious you don't live in Iowa, so why the need to slam everybody in the whole state?

Are you sure you're not talking about yourself? You have the time to go on an Internet forum and support a post on a story that could be fake news just so you could tell everyone in a state you don't live in that they're rushing toward the lowest common denominator? Classy. Also, way to be a problem-solver. That'll really get people on your side of the aisle.
All good points. I think it's also worth mentioning that King is a Representative, not a Senator, so most people in Iowa don't have any say in his election, only those in the 4th district.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:42 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
This is the last chance we have to stop the flood of unskilled 3rd world immigrants invading our country, legal and illegal. We don't need any more, and I don't like giving up any of this land that our forefathers fought so hard for, to people that have no respect for American culture and language. All they do is create enclaves of "no go" zones where English speaking Americans cannot live. We are entering a new period of automation and are already up to our ears in welfare queens and unskilled labor. NO MORE !!! We struggle to take care of our own.

This latest wave of refugees from the Middle East and Africa is just the tip of the iceberg. There will be millions more in the years to come, very few if any of these countries have anything other than oil to sustain their populations, these war torn countries will continue to decline because of their leaders, beliefs and religion. Had Hillary won this election, our government would be importing them by the hundreds of thousands every year. This trend would be irreversible because the democrats bribe them with our tax dollars to maintain control, thus making it impossible for any future president to stop this insanity.

How is this policy working out for Europe? The Jews are on the run in France, The sidewalks of Paris are loaded with refugees laying on mattresses throwing trash everywhere, mass rapes, christian symbols vandalized. How are Christians and Jews treated in Islamic countries? GET REAL !! The FBI has thwarted a dozen terror plots in Minnesota from Somalian refugees, too close for comfort as far as I'm concerned.

How would the democrats like it if the republicans started to flood the country with immigrants whom they bribe to vote in their favor? Let's say for example they built a bridge between Russia and Alaska and millions of conservative Russian immigrants come pouring down into democratic controlled states, and one by one, flipped the voting block of those states. How would democrats like that idea?

Old 02-04-2017, 11:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
This is the last chance we have to stop the flood of unskilled 3rd world immigrants invading our country, legal and illegal. We don't need any more, and I don't like giving up any of this land that our forefathers fought so hard for, to people that have no respect for American culture and language. All they do is create enclaves of "no go" zones where English speaking Americans cannot live. We are entering a new period of automation and are already up to our ears in welfare queens and unskilled labor. NO MORE !!! We struggle to take care of our own.

This latest wave of refugees from the Middle East and Africa is just the tip of the iceberg. There will be millions more in the years to come, very few if any of these countries have anything other than oil to sustain their populations, these war torn countries will continue to decline because of their leaders, beliefs and religion. Had Hillary won this election, our government would be importing them by the hundreds of thousands every year. This trend would be irreversible because the democrats bribe them with our tax dollars to maintain control, thus making it impossible for any future president to stop this insanity.

How is this policy working out for Europe? The Jews are on the run in France, The sidewalks of Paris are loaded with refugees laying on mattresses throwing trash everywhere, mass rapes, christian symbols vandalized. How are Christians and Jews treated in Islamic countries? GET REAL !! The FBI has thwarted a dozen terror plots in Minnesota from Somalian refugees, too close for comfort as far as I'm concerned.

How would the democrats like it if the republicans started to flood the country with immigrants whom they bribe to vote in their favor? Let's say for example they built a bridge between Russia and Alaska and millions of conservative Russian immigrants come pouring down into democratic controlled states, and one by one, flipped the voting block of those states. How would democrats like that idea?
you may want to check Bizzaro World for those immigrants that you seek

Old 02-04-2017, 12:12 PM

555 posts, read 501,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Intermingling with others (internet forums or FAcebook do not count) that hold different views are very important. It is too easy to just hang with your our own "tribe". When you do, you start making conclusions that if they believe X, they must be on George Soro's email newsletter mailing list and watch MSNBC 24/7. Likewise, if the believe Z, they orship Alt Right loud mouths and believe anything Fox News tells them.

Both are insulting and dehumanizing (and honestly, intellectually lazy) and both come from a place, in my opinion, of not spending time with others who hold different worldviews. If instead, we all made efforts to get to know people that are different than us and maybe even understand (not necessarily agree) with where they perspectives come from, we'd all have a lot less anxiety about how people end up voting in the end.

I absolutely agree with this. This new version of tribalism and segregation involves a lot of intellectual laziness, and blinds us to our own hypocrisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I love this comment one of my Facebook friends posted after the election.

Before you castigate or gloat, ask yourself this: how much time do you spend in the part of America that voted the opposite color that yours did?

Maybe what we need today is not more name calling, grandstanding or vitriol. Maybe what we need is more understanding. Walk a mile in their shoes.

America is a good country full of good people. Let's rise above our leaders, not stoop to their level. If we want kindness, compassion and understanding, let's all try to be kind, compassionate and understanding.

Change begins with me.
Wise words. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-05-2017, 08:40 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Representative STEVE KING

Just went on live TV and called the 1,200 refugees in Australia "the worst of the worst"...

These are ordinary families forced to flee their homes , they get no choice as to what country they are sent to or the terms under which they are sent. Not illegals, Not terrorists but families like yours and mine.

Some may look like ordinary families, but mixed within them are the people who are educated in the worst parts of Islam taught to hate Jews and Christians. They bring with them Imam taught hate. All one has to look at is the Syria post 1948 at what was done to Jews and keep in mind that this mindset of multiple generations is coming with them. Look at the decades of entering Lebanon and funding Hezbollah all to someday eradicate Christianity. This is what is coming and people who do not see this have their heads in the sand.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:14 PM

389 posts, read 671,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
All good points. I think it's also worth mentioning that King is a Representative, not a Senator, so most people in Iowa don't have any say in his election, only those in the 4th district.
Iowa did have a say in the election of Joni Ernst. She incorrectly stated that Federal laws can be nullified:

Ernst gets Constitution wrong, says states can nullify laws - UPI.com

Ernst was adopting the same position that pro-slavery and anti-civil rights legislators from the South adopted way back when. Iowa said "Yes" to that woman's backwards understanding of the Constitution. I'll bet capitalcityguy even voted for her.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:23 PM

389 posts, read 671,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
All one has to look at is the Syria post 1948 at what was done to Jews and keep in mind that this mindset of multiple generations is coming with them. Look at the decades of entering Lebanon and funding Hezbollah all to someday eradicate Christianity. This is what is coming and people who do not see this have their heads in the sand.
I wish there was a remote island where all the religious people of the world could go to have their "Battle Royale" over which imaginary, spooky, war-mongering father figure is the one true god. I'm really getting sick and tired of delusional adherents from all these various fairy tales making this planet inhospitable to folks like myself who rely on science and reason to get through the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: