Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 11,751 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to Iowa tentatively within the next 2 years. I would like to know some pointers or advice on transitioning into a new state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:13 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
1. Look into jobs available in your field. That will help narrow down which cities could work.

2. Use the City-Data forum to research information about COL, insurance, housing costs.

3. Start saving money, unless your employer is paying for moving costs.

4. If you aren't from an area with winter, plan at least one long weekend out here in late January/February to make sure you can handle the cold.

5. Start downsizing your stuff (see the various tips and threads in the moving forum).

I can help you with some questions about Des Moines.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:43 PM

My husband and I aren't looking to move into the major cities. Would you say its better to have a place first or a job or both?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear72 View Post
My husband and I aren't looking to move into the major cities. Would you say its better to have a place first or a job or both?
Unfortunately, Mama Bear, depending on your field, you probably won't be able to find work in the smaller towns. So, you need jobs in hand. Perhaps you could get jobs in Des Moines and live in Adel, a small town, and commute.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:57 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
There's plenty of small towns around the bigger cities in Iowa. I can answer most questions about towns around the quad cities area.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:34 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,773 times
Quote:
I'm looking to move to Iowa tentatively within the next 2 years. I would like to know some pointers or advice on transitioning into a new state.
Mamabear,

We need more information.

Your public profile doesn't say where you are from.

If you are from Southern California, you need a coat.

New York City, something like Valium to slow you down.

You didn't say what the financial situation was. Are you old and about to retire?

Young about to graduate from college?

What is your career? A large animal vet may not have a hard time getting a job in rural Iowa, but a concert violinist would probably need to restrict their search to Des Moines.

Why do you want a small town? Or more accurately, why do you think you want a small town? For that matter what is your definition of small? A co-worker of mine grew up in Chicago, his wife in Atlanta, they think Des Moines is a small town.

I spent time in San Augustine Texas, population 1200, I consider a town of 25000 to 45000 about right and Des Moines too big for my taste.

I know it is a lot of personal information, but unless it is a purely money driven decision (like mine) you need personal information to help.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 08-06-2017, 10:10 AM

I'm from Minnesota. I have a degree (AAS) in Executive Administrative Assistant. I am currently seeking work in that field. My husband works odd jobs (cook, bindery, recycling/waste disposal). We're from a small town. We grew up in the rural areas. Quite frankly, we were forced to relocate by my husband's sister-in-law and apartment living is not really our cup of tea. We're looking for a fresh start because the county we moved into (Dakota) blatantly says we make too much to qualify for their assistance. The reality is that we have a $1,100 rent payment which takes roughly 3/4 of our total income leaving little in the way of groceries and home goods at the end of the month. We're looking at Iowa because it seems to be more affordable, less crime, and still somewhat close to family. I'd like to know more about Sioux Center if possible.

What is schooling like in Iowa? (We have a 3 year old boy)
What sort of assistance could we look into for home buying? Does Iowa offer first time home buyers assistance etc.?
I also don't want to live anywhere near the Mississippi River because I was told it floods.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I'm from Minnesota. I have a degree (AAS) in Executive Administrative Assistant.
You might also want to look at Mankato (MN), about 75 minutes to the SW of you, for work. You wouldn't have to live right in Mankato.

Why?

- COL is a lot lower than Eagan
- branch campus of Univ of MN and Bethany Lutheran are both looking for office staff
- public schools are okay (spouses from U of M faculty teach there)
- crime rate is lower than the Twin Cities area, although downtown proper can be sketchy on Friday and Saturday nights (after 9 pm)
- winters are a tad bit warmer (you're almost 100 miles south of the Cities)

I'm sorry Eagan isn't working out for you. I really like that area and was looking at property at one point. I would've worked in Bloomington, which wouldn't have been a bad commute at all.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:01 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
It looks to me as though you should think about South Dakota. You can easily find much more affordable housing in one of the small towns south of Sioux Falls, like Canton or Beresford or Centerville. These are all nice small towns that are close to the Minnesota border and still close to excellent employment opportunities in Sioux Falls.

The tax burden is lower in South Dakota, especially if you rent. And if you and your husband are not drinkers or druggies both of you should quickly be able to find jobs within an easy drive from a home in a small town.

There was a previous post in this forum about Sioux Center IA, and it sounds a little scary for anyone who isn't a member of the Dutch Reformed church: http://www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/...ux-center.html

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 08-06-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 8,039 times
Be aware Iowa is a Republican state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa