Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 AM

35 posts, read 60,233 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am still in the process of relocating to Iowa and looking to purchase a home.I need to know why so many homes are being sold in CR? Is it due to crime and violence? This is a very huge step for me and scary as well.Once I am planted I don't want to have to up and move for any reason.CR sounds like a wonderful place to live until I read why a few people moved out.Is the crime in CR worst than or almost worst than Chicago? Any and all information will be gladly appreciated.Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 11:28 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,613,193 times
Quote:
Once I am planted I don't want to have to up and move for any reason.
Then I would strongly suggest renting for your first year here since you are coming from out of the area.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:53 PM

510 posts, read 371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl2 View Post
Hello, I am still in the process of relocating to Iowa and looking to purchase a home.I need to know why so many homes are being sold in CR? Is it due to crime and violence? This is a very huge step for me and scary as well.Once I am planted I don't want to have to up and move for any reason.CR sounds like a wonderful place to live until I read why a few people moved out.Is the crime in CR worst than or almost worst than Chicago? Any and all information will be gladly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

I remember another thread where it seemed to indicate Cedar Rapids may be the speed trap capital of Iowa.

Many Iowans can't readjust their thinking from just a few miles over the limit is OK. One CR resident said they got 2 $75 speeding tickets on the same day! Until recently, neither would have happened. This is a sad thing all over the country, law enforcement fearing they'll be fired if they don't raise enough money to pay their salary. Probably they need to raise more than their salary if they want a promotion.

Personally, I think legalizing cannabis ("marijuana") like most want, and giving part of the tax to law enforcement, would be a good solution to stop throwing harmless people in jail. But the people who run the jails and prisons want more customers, so they'd want some of the cannabis tax, too. And this will never happen until gov't admits nobody dies from cannabis and it helps so many medical conditions.

There is a radio station in Pella that is always advertising some "Gentlemens' Club" in Des Moines "two for one lap dances" and "where real men go to get wood". I have a hard time believing that those making and enforcing laws would be so much more in favor of sex with a stranger, over a drug that can't kill. So I have to wonder if these places are allowed only to make more arrests.

Most people in Iowa will be nicer than their law makers and law enforcers. But to keep from getting arrested, they mostly go to church, go to stores, eat out fairly often to complete their social activities. If doing none of these, it's a quiet evening at home.

Most towns in Iowa have an excellent parks system, but again it is more opportunities to arrest people. The larger towns with colleges allow beer drinking in and near the picnic shelters in their larger parks.

I was in IA town of a few thou on warm summer weekend. Park entrance had 25,000(?) words of fine print, what was or wasn't OK. Didn't have time to read it all, so we left. We did see from entrance that it seemed 0 locals and 0 tourists were in park. Why not demolish park, if everyone is too afraid to use it? They could put up high-rise apartments, get search warrants for cannabis as regular use of cannabis oil could make most users live to 90-100, how evil!

You can find the relative crime rates for Iowa towns on city-data.com/ Best wishes, all.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:25 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,196,643 times
I also strongly suggest you live in CR for a year before purchasing a house. Also contact the police for crime statistics for the area. Yesterday there were 2 shootings in Cedar Rapids, one in the SW and the other in the SE section, sending both victims to the hospital. Crime seems to have definitely increased in older neighborhoods, especially surrounding downtown and the SW side of town.

http://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/more-...-greene-square

Old 06-07-2018, 12:30 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Homes for sale per capita in midwestern cities with populations similar to Cedar Rapids, based on current Zillow listings and 2010 census data:

Cedar Rapids, .006 (811/126,326)
Topeka, KS, .007 (906/127,473)
Olathe, KS .006 (714/125,872)
Sterling Heights, MI .003 (386/129,699)
Evansville, IN .010 (1226/117,429)
Warren, MI .004 (488/134,056)
Independence, MO .005 (642/116,830)
Dayton, OH .012 (1725/141,527)
Springfield, IL .009 (1096/116,250)

It looks to me like Cedar Rapids is right in the middle of the pack, so I'm not sure where you are coming up with the idea that there are "so many" homes on the market there. There are a lot of homes for sale because there are a lot of homes, period.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:01 PM

2,020 posts, read 3,196,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl2 View Post

Over the years, I've seen a lot of young families start out in older less expensive homes in CR and then move up to newer family-oriented areas further out from downtown. Likewise, lots of older residents downsize and move to condos, as well as those moving from their downsized homes to nursing homes or passing on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa