Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 01:46 PM

113 posts, read 654,600 times

Advertisements

Had to make a correction here to the name of the place..., Van Horn to Elkhorn. Sorry about the mistake.

There is the Danish National Cultural Heritage Center in Elkhorn Iowa which is extremely beneficial to see and enjoy! Its only a short drive east of Omaha and is about six miles north of I-80 in Western Iowa.

A few years ago I stoped in at Elkhorn Iowa as I proceeded west on I-80 across western Iowa and all of Nebraska. My visit there was extremely rewarding! I spent time at the Danish Museum, the Danish Windmill, the Danish Inn, thoroughally enjoyed an all you care to eat buffet with outstanding service with a self service bar with unlimited refills. All I could eat for $7.99 including ice cream and pie for dessert, and my beverage.

There, I found the names of several of my relatives when they emmigrated from Denmark to Iowa and Nebraska on the Wall of Honor! Unfortunately, I arrived there at about 4:30 P. M. on a Friday afternoon and they closed at 6 P. M., so I had a lot of speed reading to do. They also have a great selection of historical documentary books on the Haulocost and the heroic involvement of both the Danish and Sweedish people who rescued Jewish people from the traps Hitler wanted to impose!

About that same time I ran across a Jewish medical doctor who spent time in Auschwitz where his family had been murdered during the Haulocost. He told me I could be very proud of my Danish heritage!

I heard that many people from Omaha drive over to Elkhorn to enjoy a great meal and feast on the cultural heritage there. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-25-2008 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: typo name change reminder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 02:22 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
I went there once on my way home from Omaha once. I just kind of walked around for about half an hour or so, nothing special, but it was kind of cool looking. I wish I would've checked out some of the restaurants or whatever. I always like citing these kinds of places when people say "Iowa has no diversity"

Old 04-25-2008, 02:36 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,624 times
I think that's supposed to be Elkhorn instead of Van Horn. Van Horne is a small town by Cedar Rapids.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the correction DMRyan. You're right! I only stoped there once. I wanted to go back again. The next few times I went in that direction I went a different way..., Minneapolis to Sioux City, west of Omaha and continued west on U. S. 30 across Nebraska. I didn't have a map to refresh my memory when I made my post.

Please note, I've changed the name since it was originally posted. Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-25-2008 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: reminder, name change correction

Old 04-25-2008, 02:54 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
I want to take the Lincoln Highway across Nebraska someday too - I've heard it's much more scenic. (Although I think i-80 is scenic in it's own way across NE)

Old 04-27-2008, 05:45 PM

metro223..., may I ask about the Lincoln Highway? Is that another name for U. S. 30? I've traveled it several times, but; traveling across it and living near it are two different things. I like U. S. 30 because of all the neat little places I can stop, shop for convenience like one does at a Tom Thumb or a Seven Eleven store, when all I might want is a quick cup of coffee, a sandwich, or a periodical which illustrates local news.

Once, while I was in North Platte, I purposely drove into North Platte to compare prices, get more familiar with the area and in the process, I chose to have my hair cut. It's less expensive in North Platte than it is in Denver for a hair cut.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:53 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_gloaming View Post
metro223..., may I ask about the Lincoln Highway? Is that another name for U. S. 30? I've traveled it several times, but; traveling across it and living near it are two different things. I like U. S. 30 because of all the neat little places I can stop, shop for convenience like one does at a Tom Thumb or a Seven Eleven store, when all I might want is a quick cup of coffee, a sandwich, or a periodical which illustrates local news.

Once, while I was in North Platte, I purposely drove into North Platte to compare prices, get more familiar with the area and in the process, I chose to have my hair cut. It's less expensive in North Platte than it is in Denver for a hair cut.
U.S. Route 30 is also known as the Lincoln Highway.

And yes, haircuts are always cheaper in small towns - that's why it's smart to go to one if you're a guy with a simple haircut.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:12 PM

Thanks metro233 I'll remember that. And, yes, I'm a guy. I asked for a simple medium block haircut. The price was $6. In Denver it would have been about $15.

Usually when I travel, I like to wear blue jeans, everyday shoes, and stop whenever I see something interesting. I like to take pictues if I have time.

One place where I wished I had stoped because at a distance, the road seems to disappear into a knot is in the extreme N. E. corner of Arizona, coming from Blanding Utah toward Tuba City Arizona. Actually, the road winds around and disappears into a tunnel beneath the tall spires that reach endlessly into the auburn reddish sky of late afternoon. I would have stoped, except that I felt I was behind schedule, I still had many miles to go and I wanted to save time. Later, I wished I had stoped. Don't know when I'll ever get a chance to go there again. I think the highway was 160. Don't have an atlas in front of me right now, so I can't verify it as being accurate. But, I remember Blanding Utah, Tonollea, Tuba City, Flagstaff. Flagstaff to Gila Bend (pronounced Hila Bend in Spanish), and on to Yuma Arizona. The picture I didn't take would have been a good one for the magazine Arizona Highways.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-28-2008 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: adtl info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa