Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 05:50 PM

18 posts, read 25,020 times

Advertisements

Hello. Greetings all.
Im a traveler whose first impressions of the Midwest prompted me to spend some time in Iowa in order to see if I could find a situation that suits me (place to live).

I looked for rentals first. In 1 month Ive only found 2 where the person returned my inquiry.

Where do Iowa landlords advertise for tenants?

Ive also been looking at foreclosure sales in terms of buying.
If I were to buy someone's foreclosed property in a small Iowa town would I be shunned?

Also, after the honeymoon phase, whats Iowa really like? I know Iowans are "friendly", but are they typically open to socialize with new people?

What is the police situation like in Iowa? I called them regarding a simple matter and was taken aback by the uncalled for intimidating and unprofessiinal manner I encountered by the Council Bluffs phone operator which led me to make assumptions about the way the police operate here.

Creepy good ol boy police is a deal breaker for me as Im too old to learn the tricks involved.
So professional police are a must. I dont want to wind up with a record or big legal fees because I said the wrong thing to the wrong person.

Which leads me to this last thing. I went out today to check out auction / for sale properties.
One was a lot and I only had an arial image to go by. I had to drive around a bit to figure out where it was. Then I took a photo of the lot for my notes.
I heard a man ask a group of near by kids, "whos in that car?"
I drove by him slowly and waved (Im a middle aged woman with a dog in the front seat driving a prius) so he could see I wasn't a stalker. He shouted "Why'd you take pictures of those kids?".
I thought it was kind of gross for him to jump to that assumption especially because the kids weren't where I was pointing my camera. but I understand he asked out of consern so I told him I was taking pictures of the lot for sale ( theres a for sale sign on it).

I drove away a few blocks then pulled over to make notes about the properties Id seen.

About 5 mins later the man drove up behind my car, took photos of my plates then drove away.

I was a bit freaked out by that. I wasn't doing anything weird or wrong. I was just new, different.

Thats why I called the local PD to let them know (in case this guy reported me) to let them know what I was doing.

I never even got a chance to say why I called them. The operator (forwarded to council Bluffs because weekend) was so intimidating I was afraid to say anything.

Also while I was checking out the various neighborhoods in this town, there as another guy scoweling intensely at me as I drove by.

The town is about 2000 people with a small but charming Main Street surrounded by lovely historic homes about 1 hour from Omaha.

So, was this just a weird day? Please explain this.

Is Eastern Iowa more open to new people than West?

After these experiences I'm about to set sail for some place else.

Last edited by ArrivalJones; 09-25-2021 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 10:41 AM

77 posts, read 135,453 times
These days, landlords don't have to advertise. Renters hear of openings via word of mouth and quickly snap them up. Whenever I move to a new area and am looking to rent, I contact a real estate agency and ask them. They always know where the opening are, if any, and point me in the right direction.

Iowa is a friendly state through and through. But if you are the sort of person who has to be approached instead of approaching others, you can go your entire life without getting my interaction. If you are open to socialize with new people, I suspect they will be open to socializing right back.

The entire police things seems like a series of misunderstandings. The old man misunderstood your intentions and the police misunderstood why you are calling to notify them of something that wasn't criminal in nature, i.e. wasting their time. I've lived in Iowa my entire life and have never found any officers that weren't courteous and kind. But I can probably count on one hand, the number of times I've talked to an officer of the law. It just rarely happens in my world.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthenderson View Post
These days, landlords don't have to advertise. Renters hear of openings via word of mouth and quickly snap them up. Whenever I move to a new area and am looking to rent, I contact a real estate agency and ask them. They always know where the opening are, if any, and point me in the right direction.

Iowa is a friendly state through and through. But if you are the sort of person who has to be approached instead of approaching others, you can go your entire life without getting my interaction. If you are open to socialize with new people, I suspect they will be open to socializing right back.

The entire police things seems like a series of misunderstandings. The old man misunderstood your intentions and the police misunderstood why you are calling to notify them of something that wasn't criminal in nature, i.e. wasting their time. I've lived in Iowa my entire life and have never found any officers that weren't courteous and kind. But I can probably count on one hand, the number of times I've talked to an officer of the law. It just rarely happens in my world.
Thanks for your insight, much apriciated.

Its an interesting expirience-- trying to figure out if an interaction is indicative of the place or just one of those things that could happen anywhere.

I've encountered some friendly people here no doubt. Its funny how negative stuff leaves such a strong mpression.

I dont know the cities and towns let alone any people so networking is a bit of a fill-in- the-blank.

Real estate people I called only sell.
As for property management, Id rather deal with landlords as I've no tolerance for unscupulous rental companies, I came here to avoid that sort of filth.
Got leads from libraries, hair salons, city offices, but leads never call back so who knows--maybe my leg was getting pulled.

Hotel getting expensive after two months and times a-wastin. I shove off going South East tomorrow.

Looking for a nice area with some charm that's small business friendly with decent people who are happy and nice and that will allow me to live there.

It was a nice to visit but I have to file Iowa under "closed society". A viable person with a 2k+ monthly rental buget should be able to find shelter after all.

Cheers Iowa and bon voyage to me.

(Pardon bitter rant, Im sure Ill look back fondly after I get settled.)

Last edited by ArrivalJones; 09-28-2021 at 12:59 AM..

Old 09-28-2021, 10:50 AM

Believe me when I say that I am not trying to be offensive but your posts come across as someone who want to move to a new area and immediately be integrated into the community and offered up all the knowledge that took the local residents years if not decades to obtain. It doesn't happen that way. I have lived in Iowa most of my life but have moved around many times and I've never obtained what you are seeking in just a matter of weeks. It takes months and sometimes years to figure out where the best places are to live that meet all my expectations. There are probably a thousand communities that meet the description of "nice area with some charm that's small business friendly with decent people who are happy and nice and that will allow me to live there" not only here in Iowa but in other states as well. But to expect people to come out and embrace and hug a stranger, tell them about that one rental house owned by a widow lady who keeps it immaculate in a nice neighborhood, etc., is in my opinion, expecting a bit much.

When I move to a new area, I walk into a real estate agency (yes they only sell houses) and ask politely if they can point me in the direction of some rental places. They often know this because they deal with homeowners who need to transition through rental places between houses. Once I find a place to rent, it might not be my dream place but with time, I learn where that is. Rentals are temporary and sometimes it takes a few before you find the perfect place. I also never expect to be invited into inner circles for sometimes months or a year into a new community. It takes time, effort and multiple interactions with the same individual to get a new relationship to the point of confidence to get invitations. People can be friendly to questions of a stranger, as most in Iowa are, but that doesn't mean they will invite you into their social lives immediately as you seem to expect and desire.

I wish you luck as you seek out your perfect community but if I had to place odds, I would say you are going to find the same problems you found in Iowa where ever you go until you are willing to spend more than two months in a motel room cold calling offices and businesses to get information that doesn't usually come that easily.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:11 PM

37 posts, read 38,818 times
Quote:
Believe me when I say that I am not trying to be offensive but your posts come across as someone who want to move to a new area and immediately be integrated into the community and offered up all the knowledge that took the local residents years if not decades to obtain. It doesn't happen that way. I have lived in Iowa most of my life but have moved around many times and I've never obtained what you are seeking in just a matter of weeks. It takes months and sometimes years to figure out where the best places are to live that meet all my expectations. There are probably a thousand communities that meet the description of "nice area with some charm that's small business friendly with decent people who are happy and nice and that will allow me to live there" not only here in Iowa but in other states as well. But to expect people to come out and embrace and hug a stranger, tell them about that one rental house owned by a widow lady who keeps it immaculate in a nice neighborhood, etc., is in my opinion, expecting a bit much.

When I move to a new area, I walk into a real estate agency (yes they only sell houses) and ask politely if they can point me in the direction of some rental places. They often know this because they deal with homeowners who need to transition through rental places between houses. Once I find a place to rent, it might not be my dream place but with time, I learn where that is. Rentals are temporary and sometimes it takes a few before you find the perfect place. I also never expect to be invited into inner circles for sometimes months or a year into a new community. It takes time, effort and multiple interactions with the same individual to get a new relationship to the point of confidence to get invitations. People can be friendly to questions of a stranger, as most in Iowa are, but that doesn't mean they will invite you into their social lives immediately as you seem to expect and desire.

I wish you luck as you seek out your perfect community but if I had to place odds, I would say you are going to find the same problems you found in Iowa where ever you go until you are willing to spend more than two months in a motel room cold calling offices and businesses to get information that doesn't usually come that easily.
Wow thank you for this! I'm moving to IA next month and am excited and anxious. I long for a supportive friend and companion after living depressed, bored and lonely. But I've moved alot and understanding of everything you said because I'm not just coming to knock over the first new person to be my friend. I'm coming for new adventures, experience, opportunities and in doing so maybe I'll find a good friend or neighbor.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:

The library, the town halls, the gas stations, traveling the back roads isn't sitting in a hotel room. Perhaps they are "cold calls" but as you said you have to start somewhere.
Did you even read my post before replying?

I posted about human shelter. Basic needs. Renting a house for a lady and a dog should not be considered "inner circle."

But I wasnt posting about inner circles, or "best places".

I dont know why you jumped to conclusions about my social expectations. Seems you were trying to be mean.

I have work and goals that dont include invitations form some cliquey this or that.

I'm an artist. I design clothes. I make my own society via work. Im not looking for "invitations" and Im rather selective. But Im still friendly to people around me.

And no. It should not take longer than 2 months of looking to find a place to live. Thats stupid and heartless.

I really liked Iowa, but Iowa (while smiling) shut its door in my face.

But thats ok. I just need a few things that I mentioned. Hopefully somewhere in this country there are still decent people who dont think renting a little house to someone "not from around here" is the equivalent of donating a kidney.

Last edited by ArrivalJones; 10-05-2021 at 12:32 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 09:03 AM

18 posts, read 17,092 times
Facebook marketplace is the new classified section of newspapers. For everything from firewood to apartments.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrivalJones View Post
Did you even read my post before replying?

I dont know why you jumped to conclusions about my social expectations. Seems you were trying to be mean.

Thats stupid and heartless.

I really liked Iowa, but Iowa (while smiling) shut its door in my face.

Hopefully somewhere in this country there are still decent people who dont think renting a little house to someone "not from around here" is the equivalent of donating a kidney.
Your past posts have come across as really aggressive in nature and I was merely pointing out Iowans are a laid back bunch and may be a bit turned off by the aggressiveness. They might need a bit more time to see through it. That made you even more aggressive which sort of proved my point.

Anyway, the Iowa nice part of me hopes you do find a state where your nature fits in a little better to the surroundings. Sorry you apparently judged an entire state off of one experience.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Your past posts have come across as really aggressive in nature and I was merely pointing out Iowans are a laid back bunch and may be a bit turned off by the aggressiveness. They might need a bit more time to see through it. That made you even more aggressive which sort of proved my point.

Anyway, the Iowa nice part of me hopes you do find a state where your nature fits in a little better to the surroundings. Sorry you apparently judged an entire state off of one experience.
What? Aggression means "to attack or confront". Youve been attacking and confronting me in every post.

Twisting my being denied housing into a judgement against an entire state is about as aggressive as it gets.

I dont know why you keep being so nasty.
Dont speak for Iowa.

Last edited by ArrivalJones; 10-14-2021 at 05:47 AM..

Old 10-14-2021, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch1976 View Post
Facebook marketplace is the new classified section of newspapers. For everything from firewood to apartments.
Thanks. I used fb leads but no serious call backs. Im not interested in investing in Iowa any longer. I met some nice people while I was there but after extensive effort was not able to acquire a rental there so I moved on. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa