Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,182 times

Advertisements

My husband will be getting out of the Army in four months and we are moving from North Carolina back to Iowa to be closer to family. We are orginally from northwest Iowa. We have 2 boys. I am an xray tech and my husband will be going to school (either DMACC or kirkwood). So my question is... Which is the better city to move to? Cedar Rapids or Des Moines? We want good schools, low crime, safe neighborhoods. Any advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM

267 posts, read 1,232,230 times
I honestly think you could find what you are looking for in either city. Neither city has high crime and both have good schools. If I were you, I would probably go for Des Moines, since it would be closer to your family and it has a few more amenities than Cedar Rapids (like the zoo, a larger airport, etc.). Look in the suburbs and you won't have to worry about schools or crime.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 AM

196 posts, read 776,884 times
Rather than go on about Des Moines and the many things that put it above Cedar Rapids, here are links to what they are saying nationally. You won't see press like this for CR.

Tony's Kansas City: DES MOINES DOES IT BETTER THAN KANSAS CITY ONCE AGAIN!!!

Journeys - Des Moines - In the Spotlight, Ready for Its Close-Up - New York Times

A Sculpture Garden Energizes Des Moines - NYTimes.com

Travel to Des Moines, Iowa - chicagotribune.com

Also, DM is regularly in the top 10 ratings at Kiplinger's, Forbes, etc for quality of life, business opportunities. Here's a recent article from Marketwatch:

Tortoise wins race for best U.S. city for business - MarketWatch

More links for research:

absolutedsm.com - Des Moines Development

Home - Des Moines Convention and Visitors Bureau

City of Des Moines - Awards and Recognitions

You might get a CR kool aid drinker that says that having things to do is not important, but especially in this climate it is good to have major city quality things to do like a Science Center, state museum, capitol to take kids to.

The one good thing about CR would be its proximity to Iowa City and the sports and things happening there. Also, DM sports is better with a much higher quality baseball team (AAA vs A), arena football, D-league NBA basketball.

Just laying out the facts and these links support it. Hope this helps!

Old 01-01-2010, 07:51 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,198,115 times
Without a doubt, I would say Des Moines is the city I would chose. I have lived in CR for 15 years, coming from southern California, and while it has been an excellent place to raise my kids, Des Moines has so much more going on and so much more to do. If I could, I would move to Des Moines, especially the West Des Moines area. A very clean and progressive city.
Best wishes on your move.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,182 times
Thank you all for your info. My instinct/research tells me to lean toward Des Moines. The only reason we are even considering Cedar Rapids is we have a couple friends there that have kids the same age as ours and it would be nice to know someone. But we have a lot to think about. Thanks again!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 02:36 PM

39 posts, read 220,146 times
I think your New Year's Resolution should be to move to Des Moines! With the exception of a few sketchy blocks, Des Moines is a pretty safe city. The suburbs are completely safe. I'd do a forum search as there are previous threads about the best and worst areas of Des Moines. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-01-2010, 07:41 PM

681 posts, read 3,037,067 times
Wow, DSMGuy, that was a really snarky response. Not usually like you. "CR kool ade drinkers", really?

Anyway, welcome to Iowa!

All things being equal, I would lean toward Des Moines for the reasons folks have already noted. However, I think you'd probably be happy in either city.

Since you have some friends in Cedar Rapids, it might be good for you to visit for a weekend. They can show you around Cedar Rapids, and in two hours drive you can be in Des Moines and take a look there. Try it before you buy it!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:43 AM

It is troll repellent. If you've spent anytime on this board, you know what I'm talking about. There is a troll out there who is spending sleepless nights and skipping New Year's drinkathons crafting an incoherent response to that post.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:02 AM

415 posts, read 1,740,020 times
I think this thread needs someone to argue CR's side in the OP's question. I don't know enough about Cedar Rapids to make that argument though, and I do like Des Moines almost as much as the QC.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Forgot about this one from Minneapolis-St Paul:

Des Moines: Charming, impressive surprising | StarTribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa