Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefan1 View Post
Indy is the best by far. Chicago is the worst. Iowa cities are all in trouble, but still much better than Chicago.
Oh please. How are you determining Chicago is the worst and Indy the best? Please explain, they both have their pluses and minuses. Your opinion is your opinion, but I hate when people just make statements like these and not explaining why.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:21 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
A "cowtown?" I can count on one hand the number of cows I have ever seen in Indianapolis.
Lol. Indianapolis, NYC, LA, Boston. Same thing. They really do have that attitude there...so do some other cities which will remain unmentioned.

That was meant to be figurative - not literal. Don't think you got that part.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Actually Chicago is quite a bit better than almost anywhere in Iowa when it comes to taxes. Lower income taxes, corporate taxes and property taxes. It has higher sales taxes though. Chicago is right about in the middle when compared to the rest of the USA when it comes to total taxes.

Not sure why I always hear it's the worst though, it's a curious thing people have picked up on. I'm guessing it's because they have sales taxes of around 9.75%, which is on par with some of the higher taxation places in the country on the west/east coasts. Still not the highest there either. Luckly the city and county are both poised to reduce their taxes within the next 12-18 months.
Personal income tax is by far the most important to anyone considering a move.

Iowa has an 8.98% income tax rate if you make at least 64.2k...same as someone making 500k. That is unheard of elsewhere. The threshold for the highest state income tax bracket is abysmally low in Iowa.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Personal income tax is by far the most important to anyone considering a move.

Iowa has an 8.98% income tax rate if you make at least 64.2k...same as someone making 500k. That is unheard of elsewhere. The threshold for the highest state income tax bracket is abysmally low in Iowa.
I have a hard time understanding that you think Minneapolis is more cosmopolitan than Chicago? Also you say that it's gets to early in Chicago? What about Minneapolis, it is further north and really is not THAT much further west to make such a big difference when the sun sets! How are Iowa cities in trouble?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I have a hard time understanding that you think Minneapolis is more cosmopolitan than Chicago? Also you say that it's gets to early in Chicago? What about Minneapolis, it is further north and really is not THAT much further west to make such a big difference when the sun sets! How are Iowa cities in trouble?
I've lived in both cities and in the Des Moines area - which is directly south of Minneapolis. You get about 30-45 extra minutes of sunlight when you move west about 5 hours. It makes a difference.

The sun comes up earlier in Chicago but most people are probably sleeping at that time unless you goto work at 5am. Winter just seemed so much longer in Chicago and that is a reason for it. I've traveled to Minneapolis extensively, and in summer it's more like Iowa, in winter, more like Chicago.

Having spent enough time in both cities, Minneapolis is a more style/fashion conscious city than Chicago and larger art/theatre (per capita), and Minneapolis is significantly more liberal (progressive vs democratic). Chicago is always high on those "fattest city" lists, and Minneapolis is not. Minneapolis is more cosmopolitan across the board.

Last edited by tollfree; 03-07-2011 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I've lived in both cities and in the Des Moines area - which is directly south of Minneapolis. You get about 30-45 extra minutes of sunlight when you move west about 5 hours. It makes a difference.

The sun comes up earlier in Chicago but most people are probably sleeping at that time unless you goto work at 5am. Winter just seemed so much longer in Chicago and that is a reason for it. I've traveled to Minneapolis extensively, and in summer it's more like Iowa, in winter, more like Chicago.

Having spent enough time in both cities, Minneapolis is a more style/fashion conscious city than Chicago and larger art/theatre (per capita), and Minneapolis is significantly more liberal (progressive vs democratic). Chicago is always high on those "fattest city" lists, and Minneapolis is not. Minneapolis is more cosmopolitan across the board.
Okay I can see your point about the sunlight.

The cosmopolitan, I don't think so. Chicago is definitely more fashion conscious and has a lot more international clothing stores, boutiques, fashion events etc, in the city than Minn. Do you guys have Zara? Brooklyn Industries? I am willing to bet that any international clothing store Minneapolis has Chicago has, and maybe x2, and there are plenty Chicago has that Minneapolis does not. I am not saying Minneapolis is not cosmopolitan, but saying it is more than Chicago is quite a stretch. Same goes for the Arts scene.

Minneapolis is like 70% white with a very small Hispanic and Asian population. Chicago is only 40% white with Hispanics and Blacks taking a good chunk of the rest, Asians taking more of that. How many international companies are located in Chicago compared to Minneapolis? How often do you find Chilean, Ecuadorian, Peruvian, Argentinean, etc restaurants in Minneapolis? Not many.
Chicago has two world reknowned universities bringing students from all over the world to Chicago to come study. U of M is great, but doesn't hold a candle to UC or NU and is full of in state residents and people from Wisconsin (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Minneapolis is probably more fit, but I don't see what that has to with being cosmopolitan. It really is the poverty areas that you see the obesity here in Chicago. The wealthier areas, that are more 'cosmopolitan' and 'fashionable' definitely have little obesity.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:19 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Minneapolis overall...Warmer in summer than Chicago...
Huh.

More warmer than Chicago in summer? At least get your facts straight.

I don't care if you like Minneapolis better personally, but not all your statements are factually correct.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Chindiapolis-St. Cago.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Minneapolis just always felt warmer in summer...could be the humidity.

Both cities have good shopping, Chicago having more stores overall. More restaurants. Chicago can also be difficult to get around and you have to seek those places out. Spending time in both cities, Minneapolis did seem more fashion-conscious, usually more fit cities are. Chicago's always felt like a more traditional American city with an old-city vibe. Nothing wrong with that. It seems like in Minneapolis they've tried to follow the model of the west-coast cities, especially politically. Minneapolis is very modern even being much smaller than Chicago.

UC and NU are also small schools compared to U of M. Either way, both are nice cities.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:23 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Quote:
Minneapolis overall...most modern and laid out well..the light rail is nice there too. It's by far the least stereotypically midwestern city in the midwest...always found it to be more cosmopolitan than Chicago, also has a "fitness-city" vibe. Very cold in winter though. Warmer in summer than Chicago. White collar city overall.

Indianapolis is one giant cowtown - not sure why anyone would actually want to live there.

Chicago is ok...very cold as well. Gets dark way too early in winter because it's on the edge of the eastern time zone border. Good if you're a morning person. Overpriced and ridiculous taxes implemented to be more like NY or LA because they don't make sense there. Too many old boring areas...too big to be categorized as blue/white collar, but still feels like a very industrial city.
Minneapolis is colder than Chicago in every month. I'm no saying that it isn't, but a city of 380,000 is not more cosmopolitan than a city of 2.6 million.

Then you go on to say that there are "too many old boring areas?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa