Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your top Iowa city of the Top 5 Largest Iowa Cities?
Des Moines 106 50.24%
Sioux City 19 9.00%
Cedar Rapids 31 14.69%
Davenport 44 20.85%
Waterloo 11 5.21%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ACtually, Sioux City joins Dubuque in Western Iowa as one of the very few cities with views in Iowa.
Uh, Dubuque is in Eastern Iowa, dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 04:02 PM

609 posts, read 2,922,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Uh, Dubuque is in Eastern Iowa, dude.
Referring to Sioux City in Western Iowa.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times
I grew up in Iowa, been all across the state, and fortunately got out as fast as I possibly could! Des Moines is definetly the best city in Iowa by far, it isn't even comparable to any other city in the state. Waterloo and the majority of Davenport is a dump; a ton of crime and no amenities that a city of their size should have. Sewer City is getting some MUCH needed help by some of the new big-box stores that are opening. There really isn't much Sioux City has going for it besides its' proximity to Omaha and Sioux Falls. The airport is an absolute JOKE; I mean does anyone even use it? I've flown out of it once and promised myself never again. Most people that live in Sioux City fly out of Omaha. Cedar Falls is fairly nice though, probably one of the better places in Iowa.

My list for the top 5 best cities to live in Iowa is as follows:

1) Des Moines
2) Iowa City
3) Okoboji
4) Dubuque
5) Cedar Falls

Top 3 worst:

1) Waterloo
2) Sioux City
3) Davenport

Old 05-30-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I grew up in Iowa, been all across the state, and fortunately got out as fast as I possibly could! Des Moines is definetly the best city in Iowa by far, it isn't even comparable to any other city in the state. Waterloo and the majority of Davenport is a dump; a ton of crime and no amenities that a city of their size should have. Sewer City is getting some MUCH needed help by some of the new big-box stores that are opening. There really isn't much Sioux City has going for it besides its' proximity to Omaha and Sioux Falls. The airport is an absolute JOKE; I mean does anyone even use it? I've flown out of it once and promised myself never again. Most people that live in Sioux City fly out of Omaha. Cedar Falls is fairly nice though, probably one of the better places in Iowa.

My list for the top 5 best cities to live in Iowa is as follows:

1) Des Moines
2) Iowa City
3) Okoboji
4) Dubuque
5) Cedar Falls

Top 3 worst:

1) Waterloo
2) Sioux City
3) Davenport
Sioux City gets jet service via Northwest Airlines.
But yes, ever since Southwest arrived at Omaha, it's been a tough going for the ailing Sioux Gateway...this is in contrast to when Sioux City could support United (727), TWA (DC-9's), America West (737's), Northwest, and US Airways. The airport was busy in the 1990's and up to the year 9/11/2001. It hasnt recovered since then. However, the airport is in talks with two airlines other than Northwest to come to Sioux City. I hope one of them is at least American/American Eagle...b/c it would hopefully pave the way for a non-stop from DFW (which would be nice) or at least to ST. Louis or Chicago via American.

But the other thing Sioux City has going for it is recreational opportunities afforded by the Missouri River and its spun off lakes, and also its hunting sports.

Restaurant wise, it's probably on par with Cedar Rapids now. But I agree, Davenport and Waterloo arent places to brag about... I do believe Sioux City is above that fray.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:30 AM

20 posts, read 95,918 times
If I could just 'tap' the minds of you guys....I am a wedding consultant in a major city in the Southeast, but I've been considering purchasing a property that is within an hour's drive of Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, as well as Des Moines. The property is beautiful and I'm willing to invest in the landscaping and remodeling to create a beautiful and SOPHISTICATED wedding & reception venue...I know that in my area of the country weddings are lavish affairs and couples don't mind going outside of their "hub" to secure the perfect venue. However, I know that different areas of the country vary a great deal and wonder if you think that this would be the case in Central Iowa as well?

Old 05-30-2007, 02:50 PM

I would place yourself within 30 min. of the cities you mentioned rather than one hour out. Des Moines has some of Iowa's wealthiest people, so you might want to favor Des Moines over the other two. Iowa City has many academics, but not too many overly rich corporations.

I can give you rough demographics...Cedar Rapids/Iowa City serves roughly 300,000-350,000 people
Des Moines serves roughly 450,000-500,000 people
But one advantage of Cedar Rapids/Iowa City is its close proximity (45 min away) to the Quad Cities, which also has roughly 400,000 people in its metro areas.
I do believe if you have the right marketing in place, you can lure people from all these locations to your venue.

Another area to consider is Western Iowa. IT's in the Loess Hills. YOu can create a venue there and draw from Omaha's 800,000 people and Lincoln, NE's 250,000 people. Also nearby Sioux City adds 150,000 people

But again, you cannot locate too far out from major MSA's before people find it inconvenient.

Of your cities mentioned, Des Moines has the greatest airline access, followed by Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, which share their airport.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:15 PM

20 posts, read 95,918 times
Metroplex, your input is very helpful and I so appreciate your taking the time to give me a thorough answer (eventhough I was w-a-y off the subject of this thread)
Skylar

Old 05-30-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar25 View Post
Metroplex, your input is very helpful and I so appreciate your taking the time to give me a thorough answer (eventhough I was w-a-y off the subject of this thread)
Skylar
No prob. I used to live in that region of the country, but now in the DFW area....in fact, going there this weekend.

The Mississippi River valley and the Missouri both offer great locales. It's a matter of preference and what you're aiming for.
Eastern Iowa contains most of Iowa's population, but then eastern Nebraska, which borders western Iowa contains most of Nebraska's population.
YOu just need to have the right marketing.

That's what it's all about in our country...marketing marketing marketing.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:38 PM

100 posts, read 534,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar25 View Post
I know that in my area of the country weddings are lavish affairs and couples don't mind going outside of their "hub" to secure the perfect venue. However, I know that different areas of the country vary a great deal and wonder if you think that this would be the case in Central Iowa as well?
As long as we're off topic, I'll chip in what I know. I can't speak for Central Iowa, but I know that here in E. Iowa, (in Dubuque) there are many lavish weddings with people coming in from all over and such. However, in my view, the local market here is TOTALLY SATURATED with wedding venues, ballrooms, event centers, banquet facilities and on and on. Couples really enjoy having their weddings at Dubuque's Arboretum & Botanical Gardens, and at the city's Grand River Center. If you're looking for sheer business volume, I'd probably locate somewhere around DSM. Ankeny or West Des Moines are very nice places with lots of young families, and I would bet that business would be strong there. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBQer View Post
As long as we're off topic, I'll chip in what I know. I can't speak for Central Iowa, but I know that here in E. Iowa, (in Dubuque) there are many lavish weddings with people coming in from all over and such. However, in my view, the local market here is TOTALLY SATURATED with wedding venues, ballrooms, event centers, banquet facilities and on and on. Couples really enjoy having their weddings at Dubuque's Arboretum & Botanical Gardens, and at the city's Grand River Center. If you're looking for sheer business volume, I'd probably locate somewhere around DSM. Ankeny or West Des Moines are very nice places with lots of young families, and I would bet that business would be strong there. Good luck!
the Des Moines MSA is the fastest growing in Iowa...so locating close to Des Moines would be in good interest...or perhaps between Omaha and Des Moines, which would give you a market of about 1.3 million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa