Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 AM

4 posts, read 14,119 times

Advertisements

Muhammad Ali

Born (Cassius Abdoulos Clay) in the state of Kentucky, one of the States of America in the amount of racial discrimination where the peak, and grew up in that country on the teachings of the Christian religion of truth, and when he became a young man began practicing the sport of boxing in his own defense in the country of racism, and to achieve the same thing makes it The value he exercised boxing, and include a little something that made the world championship and became a legend of sports, and shot to fame in the all corners of the earth.
And talking about the beginning of becoming a Muslim, he says: in 1960 took me a friend, a Muslim to a mosque in the state of Miami, we entered the mosque, and there was a preacher giving a lecture to the attendees talking about the tolerance of Islam Vhdni Speaking Vonst him with great interest, and was listening for this lecture beginning of the journey of transformation from the Christian religion, fake religion of Islam to the right. The discussion that is calling for transparency and clarity, I felt a strange feeling about that speech, which touched something in my heart I was looking for, and touched in his openness and honesty, and there is talk about God in the Christian religion and God in Islam .. After the focus and attention to the preacher to say .. I started to become clear vision of where I was a little doubt in what it says priests, monks, Christians in the church that God is three, and what they say is a fact of false prophet Jesus Christ, peace be upon him as the anchor, and so on of myths and untruths do not believe any sane person. I started carrying my confidence in the priests in the Christian religion, an entire typeface, on the contrary began to increase my confidence in the preacher in the Islamic religion as a whole.
Followed by saying: I understand that calling that Islam is a religion of equality and justice where there is no difference between Arab and non-Arab nor black nor white nor small nor large except by piety and good deeds, was attending to the mosque the beginning of my knowledge of Islam, which I was ignorant of before. And make sure I listen to the advocates of the Muslims and to understand the reality of what came to Islam, it can not help but make the decision which is irreversible, a convert to Islam.
Came my decision to enter Islam with certainty and conviction that is the true religion, began to read more and more about Islam, that God guide my heart and had embraced Islam in the same year he entered a mosque for the first time in my life and heard when the words calling for a 1960. And began to live with the Holy Quran to read and educated, and the Al-Fatiha is the first AL memorized and learned from the book of God, and I felt that those who follow the teachings of Islam and applies it to himself and his family and the rest of his life he would feel serenely self, Sivouk the sweetness of faith.
It says Muhammad Ali after he announced his conversion to Islam: that whenever a Muslim read the Koran in depth and resulted in the hypothesis due him, God willing, will go to safety in his life, will install and train stability and tranquility, and would dismiss the malice of Satan .. He also says: One of the most important thing I learned in Islam, good manners, humility, tolerance, love and appreciation of others, and to fulfill the covenants and conventions.
Finally .. Muhammad Ali with the one son and six daughters are: (Mohammad Mohammad Ali Mary rational mistress beautiful Hana Layla). Muhammad Ali has visited Mecca in 1973 AH. He says he will dedicate himself to the service of Islam and to contribute to the publication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Cassius Clay only discovered his "faith" AFTER the draft board got after him and he suddenly "discovered" that he was called to be an Imam, or something, which would exempt him from the draft.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:48 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by stillkit
Quote:
Cassius Clay only discovered his "faith" AFTER the draft board got after him and he suddenly "discovered" that he was called to be an Imam, or something, which would exempt him from the draft.
Even so, why should a black man fight a yellow man?
Because the white man said so?
Anywayz, Clay becoming Ali beats fleeing to Canada.
If Clay did flee to Canada it would only prove that his feet were indeed made of clay.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 PM

154 posts, read 216,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's not entirely accurate.

Obviously, Muhammad Ali did become rather infamous for both his belief and opposition to the Vietnam War.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Quote:
After winning the championship from Liston in 1964, Clay revealed that he was a member of the Nation of Islam (often called the Black Muslims at the time) and the Nation gave Clay the name Cassius X, discarding his surname as a symbol of his ancestors' enslavement, as had been done by other Nation members. On Friday, March 6, 1964, Malcolm X took Clay on a guided tour of the United Nations building (for a second time). Malcolm X announced that Clay would be granted his "X." That same night, Elijah Muhammad recorded a statement over the phone to be played over the radio that Clay would be renamed Muhammad (one who is worthy of praise) Ali (fourth rightly guided caliph). Only a few journalists (most notably Howard Cosell) accepted it at that time. Venerable boxing announcer Don Dunphy addressed the champion by his adopted name, as did British reporters. The adoption of this name symbolized his new identity as a member of the Nation of Islam.
Many sportswriters of the early 1960s reported[where?] that it was Ali's brother, Rudy Clay, who converted to Islam first (estimating the date as 1961). Others wrote[where?] that Clay had been seen at Muslim rallies a few years before he fought Liston. Ali's own version[where?] is that he would sneak into Nation of Islam meetings through the back door roughly three years before he fought Sonny Liston.
Aligning himself with the Nation of Islam made him a lightning rod for controversy, turning the outspoken but popular champion into one of that era's most recognizable and controversial figures. Appearing at rallies with Nation of Islam leader Elijah Muhammad and declaring his allegiance to him at a time when mainstream America viewed them with suspicion—if not outright hostility—made Ali a target of outrage, as well as suspicion. Ali seemed at times to provoke such reactions, with viewpoints that wavered from support for civil rights to outright support of separatism. For example, Ali once stated, in relation to integration: "We who follow the teachings of Elijah Muhammad don't want to be forced to integrate. Integration is wrong. We don't want to live with the white man; that's all."[15] And in relation to inter-racial marriage: "No intelligent black man or black woman in his or her right black mind wants white boys and white girls coming to their homes to marry their black sons and daughters."[15] Indeed, Ali's religious beliefs at the time included the notion that the white man was "the devil" and that white people were not "righteous." Ali claimed that white people hated black people.
Ali converted from the Nation of Islam sect to mainstream Sunni Islam in 1975. In a 2004 autobiography, written with daughter Hana Yasmeen Ali, Muhammad Ali attributes his conversion to the shift toward Sunni Islam made by Warith Deen Muhammad after he gained control of the Nation of Islam upon the death of Elijah Muhammad in 1975. Later in 2005 he embraced spiritual practices of Sufism.[2]

Vietnam War

In 1964, Ali failed the U.S. Armed Forces qualifying test because his writing and spelling skills were sub-par. However, in early 1966, the tests were revised and Ali was reclassified as 1A.[5] This classification meant he was now eligible for the draft and induction into the U.S. Army during a time when the United States was involved in the Vietnam War. When notified of this status, he declared that he would refuse to serve in the United States Army and publicly considered himself a conscientious objector.[5] Ali stated that "War is against the teachings of the Holy Qur'an. I'm not trying to dodge the draft. We are not supposed to take part in no wars unless declared by Allah or The Messenger. We don't take part in Christian wars or wars of any unbelievers." Ali also famously said in 1966: "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong ... They never called me ******." Rare for a heavyweight boxing champion in those days, Ali spoke at Howard University, where he gave his popular "Black Is Best" speech to 4,000 cheering students and community intellectuals after he was invited to speak at Howard by a Howard sociology professor, Nathan Hare, on behalf of the Black Power Committee, a student protest group.[16][17]

Appearing shortly thereafter for his scheduled induction into the U.S. Armed Forces on April 28, 1967 in Houston, he refused three times to step forward at the call of his name. An officer warned him he was committing a felony punishable by five years in prison and a fine of $10,000. Once more, Ali refused to budge when his name was called. As a result, he was arrested and on the same day the New York State Athletic Commission suspended his boxing license and stripped him of his title. Other boxing commissions followed suit.
At the trial on June 20, 1967, after only 21 minutes of deliberation, the jury found Ali guilty.[5] After a Court of Appeals upheld the conviction, the case went to the U.S. Supreme Court. During this time, the public began turning against the war and support for Ali began to grow. Ali supported himself by speaking at colleges and universities across the country, where opposition to the war was especially strong. On June 28, 1971, the Supreme Court reversed his conviction for refusing induction by unanimous decision in Clay v. United States.[5] The decision was not based on, nor did it address, the merits of Clay's/Ali's claims per se; rather, the Government's failure to specify which claims were rejected and which were sustained, constituted the grounds upon which the Court reversed the conviction.[18]
Quotes about Vietnam war

“ I ain't got no quarrel with the Vietcong. No Vietcong ever called me ******.[19] ” “ No, I am not going 10,000 miles to help murder kill and burn other people to simply help continue the domination of white slavemasters over dark people the world over. This is the day and age when such evil injustice must come to an end.[20] ” “ Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?[19]
The article itself seems credible enough therein it can be used for discussion...

The military was spotting Muhammad Ali during his tenure with the Nation Of Islam - which, in it's form then was far from legitimate Islam.

It seems though that many years later, during the mid 70s, he embraced Sunni Islam via W.D. Muhammad and thereafter still became involved with the Sufism movement and belief.

Please, don't imply Muhammad Ali's faith is irrelevant or false simply because of his youthful objections to un-popular social events and conflicts.

ALSO

Brother Khaled, although i'm sure your intentions are good... the way you are going about promoting our deen on this forum isn't. If you are going to represent the deen please be more participative, thorough, and definitive with your subjects, threads, etc.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Well said again. The points being made are valid, in a way. The holding up of notable converts to Islam proves nothing much. I don't think that anyone doubts that one major factor in Clay's conversion was to leave the religion of the whites who enslaved his people and embrace the religion of the muslims (who also enslaved his people, but we never hear much about that). However, is the post correct?

“ I ain't got no quarrel with the Vietcong. No Vietcong ever called me ******.[19] ” “ No, I am not going 10,000 miles to help murder kill and burn other people to simply help continue the domination of white slavemasters over dark people the world over. This is the day and age when such evil injustice must come to an end.[20] ” “ Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights.."

That is valid Ali and it sounds like him. This doesn't.

"...was attending to the mosque the beginning of my knowledge of Islam, which I was ignorant of before. And make sure I listen to the advocates of the Muslims and to understand the reality of what came to Islam, it can not help but make the decision which is irreversible, a convert to Islam."

That doesn't sound like him at all and is evidently the work of a muslim who doesn't speak english as a first language. It may be a paraphrase of Ali's views, but then, why not just quote him?

It serves only to make us supicious. We do not like being lied to.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by stillkitEven so, why should a black man fight a yellow man?
Because the white man said so?
No...because the amount of green deposited into his bank account said so. That was an excellent reason for Clay to metamorphose into Ali. If he couldn't box, he was nothing. And he certainly wasn't going to give up his prime years of boxing.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,553 times
Aaa..ah.., and at times I think that the whole resolution of the sport and it's natural racism was to drop it all together, like a lot else could have been done in the old hippy age. Then we would truly approach peace and harmony in man's/God's time.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
I respect the man.

He could have run to Canada, but decided to stay and face the music.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 PM

154 posts, read 216,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Well said again.
Thank you.

Quote:
The points being made are valid, in a way. The holding up of notable converts to Islam proves nothing much.
Eh... my original enthusiasm for the subject wasn't very much but I figure'd i'd chime in.

Quote:
and embrace the religion of the muslims (who also enslaved his people, but we never hear much about that).

“.
I hear about it all the time, LOL, where've you been?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam