Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:37 PM

762 posts, read 1,217,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by resigned View Post
the eloquent Arabic nowadays is spoken very widely in the Arabic world, believe me it is not that hard to speak with a Moroccan citizen or Algerian for me. I can divide these differences in dialects into 3 main sections

A) the Pure Arabic is used in writhing specially the literary pieces.Also, it is used in Media 75% coz Media in these days is interested in broadcaster face rather its language usage.

b) the General Darija or informal Arabic is also understood all over the Arabic world too. this because Arab workers for example from Morocco or Syria work in Gulf countries as Saudi Arabia , Qatar or UAE.thus, we can find a lot of those workers in these country and we hear them talking their tongue and they hear us too and each of us affect another.

c) the local dialects like the Moroccan darija or Tunisian darija are somewhat difficult to be understood outside its habitat.

In general, Egyptian dialect is dominant because they have their media, radio and cinema for more than 80 years.For this reason, all Arabs used to watch Egyptian movies, series etc. and became familiar with that dialect. The problem remains in Arabic western countries starting from Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco since its dialects are little understood in the Arabic eastern countries which is the rest. However, we can use the general darija which as I said understood by all or the eloquent Arabic as much as we can
Thank you for this post. informative. Also Morocco the Berbers have tamazight there own language also. I mainly stuck with French..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:49 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
To add to the above here is Al-Bathaa the Central Mosque in the capital of Riyadh, KSA (Kingdom of Saudi
Arabia)

Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 PM

400 posts, read 575,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
I like your last statement... did you feel the only way you could enjoy life was to forego religious practices.. Do you think God wants you to live a gloomy life? My faith in God..that's the ONE God has never prevented me from enjoying my life, of course some religious practices come from the minds of men anyway when they interpret how they believe God would wish us to behave and the traditions of society at the time.
For me religion stopped serving a purpose since I did not desire heaven, hell, eternal life, judgment of those who wronged me, no desires for invisible assistance when things don't go my way, no free passes through life because I believe. Life is complicated by religion and I have no desire for anything that religion offers. The further I got away from religion the more I appreciated life and I began to enjoy it. I actually became more open to seeing how amazing and fantastic the creation of life is and not just humans. I don't question who created this life, why or when, I just enjoy it and try to make sure my actions reflect my appreciation for it.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM

762 posts, read 1,217,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
For me religion stopped serving a purpose since I did not desire heaven, hell, eternal life, judgment of those who wronged me, no desires for invisible assistance when things don't go my way, no free passes through life because I believe. Life is complicated by religion and I have no desire for anything that religion offers. The further I got away from religion the more I appreciated life and I began to enjoy it. I actually became more open to seeing how amazing and fantastic the creation of life is and not just humans. I don't question who created this life, why or when, I just enjoy it and try to make sure my actions reflect my appreciation for it.
Fair point, nicely made. Each to their own and life goes on the same regardless of a faith in God.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:00 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Back to the crescent, Turkey, Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Algeria, Lybia, Tunisania, and Western Sahara all have crescents in their flag. None of these countries are predominantly Arab, but they are predominantly Muslim. That's why I was wondering if their was a correlation.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:15 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Back to the crescent, Turkey, Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Algeria, Lybia, Tunisania, and Western Sahara all have crescents in their flag. None of these countries are predominantly Arab, but they are predominantly Muslim. That's why I was wondering if their was a correlation.

At various times those countries were all under the Ottoman Empire. Many people do associate the Crescent with the Ottomans (Which it is) This in turn came to be associated with Islam by many people and eventually many began to think it had an Arabic origin.

I find that to be very understandable.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:45 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,569 times
Millions of Arabs are Christians, and there are many Jews who do not believe in God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam