Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:11 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The "bogus oath" was based on a previous oath falsely attributed to the Jesuits more than three centuries earlier.
Why do you say "falsely attributed to the Jesuits"?

What were the Jesuit oaths hundreds of years ago?

We cannot hide from our history, even if it is distasteful at times. Our ancestors may have been as vicious as ISIS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Why do you say "falsely attributed to the Jesuits"?

What were the Jesuit oaths hundreds of years ago?

We cannot hide from our history, even if it is distasteful at times. Our ancestors may have been as vicious as ISIS.
I agree that our ancestors may have been violent, but we are not discussing our ancestors.....Neither you nor your father can re-write history ....The oath attributed to the Jesuits was the same BS one you posted...

Anti-Catholics seem to believe that because this document is found in the Library of Congress, that it is a credible document.... Are you anti-Catholic?

The Jesuit Oath Debunked

Old 08-23-2014, 04:02 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
My dad was very educated and he knew about the oath taken by members of the Knights of Columbus. Here is a snippet from that oath. No wonder he had a fear of John Kennedy.

"I do further promise and declare that I will have no opinion or will of my own or any mental

reservation whatsoever, even as a corpse or cadaver (perinde ac cadaver), but will unhesitatingly obey

each and every command that I may receive from my superiors in the militia of the Pope and of Jesus

Christ."

"I do further promise and declare that I will, when opportunity presents, make and wage relentless war,

secretly and openly against all heretics, Protestants and Masons, as I am directed to do to extirpate them

from the face of the whole earth; and that I will spare neither age, sex, or condition, and that will hang,

bum, waste, boil, flay, strangle, and bury alive these infamous heretics; rip up the stomachs and wombs

of their women, and crush their infants' heads against the wails in order to annihilate their execrable

race. That when the same can not be done openly, I will secretly use the poisonous cup, the strangulation

cord, the steel of the poniard, or the leaden bullet, regardless of the honor, rank, dignity, or authority of

the persons, whatever may be their condition in life, either public or private, as I at any time may be

directed so to do by any agents of the Pope or superior of the Brotherhood of the Holy Father of the

Society of Jesus."

Here is the full oath in all its glory:

http://arcticbeacon.com/books/The_Oa...f_Columbus.pdf
I must point out in the interest of truth. I was a Catholic and a Member of the "K of C" I never took any such oath. I became a Knight in 1958 and remained one during the remainder my Catholic life.

While I disagree with Catholicism, I also advocate the truth and will point out errors even if it is a fallacy spread about a group I strongly disagree with.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I agree that our ancestors may have been violent, but we are not discussing our ancestors.
Well, that is exactly what I was discussing.

In order to understand our present world, it helps to understand our past and the culture we come from. We see ISIS and Al Quaeda doing things we think are barbaric, but they are no worse than the actions of our own culture a few hundred years ago.

Sure, if ISIS becomes a threat to our safety we will deal with them like we dealt with Germany and Japan 70 years ago, but we should not think that our culture is superior to their culture.

Probably a lot of our feelings about ISIS are based on misinformation, just like my father's feelings about the Knights of Columbus.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
The oath attributed to the Jesuits was the same BS one you posted...
OK, then can you find the original oath taken by the Jesuits hundreds of years ago?

Last edited by hiker45; 08-23-2014 at 06:58 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I must point out in the interest of truth. I was a Catholic and a Member of the "K of C" I never took any such oath.
OK, where do you think that horrible oath came from?

Did some crackpot just write it in the early 1900's and get it inserted into the Congressional record or is it based on an oath taken by a religious group in the past?

Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
OK, where do you think that horrible oath came from?

Did some crackpot just write it in the early 1900's and get it inserted into the Congressional record or is it based on an oath taken by a religious group in the past?
That I do not know. Your post is the first time I have ever heard of it.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
That I do not know. Your post is the first time I have ever heard of it.
I did some searching the origin seems to be Thomas Watson and a book he wrote that was published in 1928. (/although he died in 1922) The book is copyrighted and therefore included in the library of Congress.

Quote:
An Un-American Secret Society Bound to the Italian Pope, By Pledges of Treason and Murder By THOS. E. WATSON Author of "The Story of France," "Napoleon," "Life and Times of Andrew Jackson," "Life and Times of Thomas Jeffer- son," "The Roman Catholic Hierarchy," Etc. Published by THE TOM WATSON BOOK COMPANY, Inc. THOMSON, GEORGIA 1928
SOURCE

Thomas Watson is quite interesting

Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I did some searching the origin seems to be Thomas Watson and a book he wrote that was published in 1928.
I also did some searching about the Oath but every reference, including Thomas Watson, seemed to be biased one way or the other.

They did agree the Jesuits were formed by Ignatius of Loyola in the early 1500's, a time of great religious strife in Europe. With all of the religious turmoil going on, it seems reasonable to me that the Jesuits may have had an Oath that is the predecessor to the one erroneously attributed to the Knights of Columbus in 1913.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I also did some searching about the Oath but every reference, including Thomas Watson, seemed to be biased one way or the other.

They did agree the Jesuits were formed by Ignatius of Loyola in the early 1500's, a time of great religious strife in Europe. With all of the religious turmoil going on, it seems reasonable to me that the Jesuits may have had an Oath that is the predecessor to the one erroneously attributed to the Knights of Columbus in 1913.
I recall at one point the Pope was going to Ban the Jesuits as they became very militant and became a threat to the Papacy A little of that can be gleaned from HERE

Seems some restrictions were put in place.

An oath of allegiance to the Papacy could have been one of the restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam