Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:26 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,646,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
No, the Qur'an does not rely on "Us vs Them."
You did not answer my questions directly, i.e.

Does the Quran divide all humans into two camps? i.e.
1. Muslims and non-Muslims, YES/NO

2. believers and disbelievers, YES/NO

3. Muslims and kuffar, YES/NO

The above questions are also directed as Khalif as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 02:42 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
You did not answer my questions directly, i.e.

The above questions are also directed as Khalif as well.
1. No

2. No

3. No

Old 04-23-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:
1. No
2. No
3. No
Thanks for the direct answers.

I have different answers [direct opposite] to yours.

Let's take a look at verses 2:1-29: in [] = mine
1. Alif. Lam. Mim.
2. This [Quran] is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those [Muslims - muttagin] who ward off (evil).
3. [Muslims] Who believe in the unseen [Ghaib - transcendental God], and establish worship, and spend of that We have bestowed upon them;
4. And [Muslims] who believe in that [Quran]which is revealed unto thee (Muhammad) and that [Torah, Gospel] which was revealed before thee, and are certain of the Hereafter.
5. These [Muslims] depend on guidance from their Lord. These [Muslims] are the successful.

6. As for the disbelievers [kafaru, Infidels], whether thou warn them [infidels] or thou warn them not it is all one for them; they [infidels] believe not.
7. Allah hath sealed their [infidels'] hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs [infidels -kuffar] will be an awful doom.
8. And of mankind are some who say: We [pretend Muslims] believe [amana ا م ن] in Allah and the Last Day , when they [pretenders] believe not. [refer to hypocrisy of Ibn Abi?]
9. They [infidels, Kuffar] think to beguile [trick mislead; delude.] Allah and those [Muslims] who believe, and they [infidels] beguile none save themselves; but they [the Kuffar] perceive not.
10. In their [infidels, Kuffar] hearts is a disease, and Allah increaseth their disease. A painful doom theirs [is the Kuffar's] because they lie.
11. And when it is said unto them [infidels]: Make not mischief in the earth, they [infidels] say: We are peacemakers only. [Imply Kuffar are deceptive and Liars]
12. Are not they [infidels, Kuffar] indeed the mischief makers? But they [infidels, Kuffar] perceive not.
13. And when it is said unto them [infidels]: Believe as the people [Muslims] believe, they [infidels] say: Shall we [infidels] believe as the foolish believe? Are not they [infidels] indeed the foolish? But they [infidels] know not.
14. And when they [infidels] fall in with those [Muslims] who believe, they [infidels] say: We [infidels] believe; but when they [infidels] go apart to their [infidels] devils they [infidels] declare: Lo! we [infidels] are with you; verily we [infidels] did but mock. [Hypocrites]
15. Allah (Himself) doth mock them [infidels], leaving them [infidels] to wander blindly on in their [infidels'] contumacy. [Obstinate resistance]
16. These are they [the Infidels] who purchase error at the price of guidance, so their commerce doth not prosper, neither are they [infidels] guided. [infer loss and to hell on Judgment Day]
17. Their [the Infidels, Kuffar] likeness is as the likeness of one who kindleth fire, and when it sheddeth its light around him [infidels] Allah taketh away their light and leaveth them [the Infidels] in darkness, where they [infidels] cannot see,
18. Deaf, dumb and blind; and they [infidels] Return not [to paradise]
19. Or like a rainstorm from the sky, wherein is darkness, thunder and the flash of lightning. They [infidels] thrust their fingers in their ears by reason of the thunder-claps, for fear [terror] of dead [death]. Allah encompasseth [total domination over?] the disbelievers [infidels] (in His guidance).
20. The lightning almost snatcheth away their [infidels] sight from them. As often as it flasheth forth for them [infidels] they walk therein, and when it darkeneth against them [infidels] they stand still. If Allah willed, He could destroy their [the infidels'] hearing and their sight Lo! Allah is Able to do all things.
21. O mankind! Worship your Lord, Who hath created you and those before you, so that ye may ward off (evil).
22. Who [Allah] hath appointed the earth a resting-place for you [mankind], and the sky a canopy; and causeth water to pour down from the sky, thereby producing fruits as food for you. And do not set up rivals to Allah when ye [mankind] know (better).
23. And if ye [infidels] are in doubt concerning that [Quran] which We [Allah] reveal unto Our slave (Muhammad), then produce a sura or the like thereof, and call your witnesses [partners, gods] beside Allah if ye [infidels] are truthful.
24. And if ye [infidels] do it not and ye [infidels] can never do it [produce a sura] - then guard yourselves against the fire prepared for disbelievers [infidels], whose fuel is of men and stones.

25. And give glad tidings [news] (O Muhammad) unto those [Muslims] who believe and do good works; that theirs [Muslims'] are Gardens underneath which rivers flow; as often as they [Muslims] are regaled with food of the fruit thereof, they [Muslims] say: This is what was given us [proto-Muslims] aforetime; and it is given to them [current Muslims] in resemblance. There for them [Muslims] are pure companions; there for ever they [Muslims] abide.
26. Lo! Allah disdaineth not to coin the similitude even of a gnat. Those [Muslims] who believe know that it is the truth from their Lord; but those [infidels] who disbelieve say: What doth Allah wish (to teach) by such a similitude? He [Allah] misleadeth many [infidels] thereby, and He guideth many [Muslims] thereby; and He [Allah] misleadeth thereby only miscreants; [Allah deliberately create infidels]
27. Those [apostates] who break the covenant of Allah after ratifying it and sever [cut, sever] that which Allah ordered to be joined, and (who) make mischief in the earth: Those [infidels] are they who are the losers
28. How disbelieve ye [infidels] in Allah when ye [infidels] were dead and He gave life to you! Then he will give you death, then life again, and then unto Him ye [infidels] will return.
29. He [Allah] it is Who created for you [mankind] all that is in the earth. Then turned He to the heaven, and fashioned it as seven heavens. And He is Knower of all things.
My use of "infidels" is merely a loose terms to denote "them" [i.e. disbelivers, kuffar, kafara, idolaters, non-Muslims].

From the above one can easily note verse 2:1-5 identify the Muslims [us] as good and
from verses 2:6-24 the non-Muslims [them] [majority] are identified as evil for condemnation with derogatory terms.

Verses 2:25-29 comprised elements of Muslims [us] and non-Muslims [them].

From the above it is obvious the Quran divide all humans into two camps thus the answers are;

1. Muslims and non-Muslims, YES
2. believers and disbelievers, YES
3. Muslims and kuffar, YES

The above answer is very objective based on the contents of the verses.

I have merely picked up 29 verses as a matter of convenience.
However actual analysis indicated there are 189 verses that contain reference to non-Muslims [kuffar, kafara, disbelievers, idolaters'] i.e. "them" out of 286 verses.

I have done an analysis for each of the 114 chapters and the total is appx 3,400 verses [more than 55%] that identify "them" [kuffar, kafara, non-Muslim] against "us."
I have the numbers for each chapter.

There are only a rare few verses that is positive to the "them" the majority of the "them" [kuffar, kafara, non-Muslims] and directed with all sort and the worst kind of derogatory and dehumanizing terms.

Conclusion:
Therefore the Quran rely on the primal impulse of 'us versus them' to generally differentiate between Muslims [us = good] and non-Muslims [them = evil].

Agree/Disagree?

Old 04-24-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the direct answers.

I have different answers [direct opposite] to yours.

Let's take a look at verses 2:1-29: in [] = mine
1. Alif. Lam. Mim.
2. This [Quran] is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those [Muslims - muttagin] who ward off (evil).
3. [Muslims] Who believe in the unseen [Ghaib - transcendental God], and establish worship, and spend of that We have bestowed upon them;
4. And [Muslims] who believe in that [Quran]which is revealed unto thee (Muhammad) and that [Torah, Gospel] which was revealed before thee, and are certain of the Hereafter.
5. These [Muslims] depend on guidance from their Lord. These [Muslims] are the successful.

6. As for the disbelievers [kafaru, Infidels], whether thou warn them [infidels] or thou warn them not it is all one for them; they [infidels] believe not.
7. Allah hath sealed their [infidels'] hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs [infidels -kuffar] will be an awful doom.
8. And of mankind are some who say: We [pretend Muslims] believe [amana ا م ن] in Allah and the Last Day , when they [pretenders] believe not. [refer to hypocrisy of Ibn Abi?]
9. They [infidels, Kuffar] think to beguile [trick mislead; delude.] Allah and those [Muslims] who believe, and they [infidels] beguile none save themselves; but they [the Kuffar] perceive not.
10. In their [infidels, Kuffar] hearts is a disease, and Allah increaseth their disease. A painful doom theirs [is the Kuffar's] because they lie.
11. And when it is said unto them [infidels]: Make not mischief in the earth, they [infidels] say: We are peacemakers only. [Imply Kuffar are deceptive and Liars]
12. Are not they [infidels, Kuffar] indeed the mischief makers? But they [infidels, Kuffar] perceive not.
13. And when it is said unto them [infidels]: Believe as the people [Muslims] believe, they [infidels] say: Shall we [infidels] believe as the foolish believe? Are not they [infidels] indeed the foolish? But they [infidels] know not.
14. And when they [infidels] fall in with those [Muslims] who believe, they [infidels] say: We [infidels] believe; but when they [infidels] go apart to their [infidels] devils they [infidels] declare: Lo! we [infidels] are with you; verily we [infidels] did but mock. [Hypocrites]
15. Allah (Himself) doth mock them [infidels], leaving them [infidels] to wander blindly on in their [infidels'] contumacy. [Obstinate resistance]
16. These are they [the Infidels] who purchase error at the price of guidance, so their commerce doth not prosper, neither are they [infidels] guided. [infer loss and to hell on Judgment Day]
17. Their [the Infidels, Kuffar] likeness is as the likeness of one who kindleth fire, and when it sheddeth its light around him [infidels] Allah taketh away their light and leaveth them [the Infidels] in darkness, where they [infidels] cannot see,
18. Deaf, dumb and blind; and they [infidels] Return not [to paradise]
19. Or like a rainstorm from the sky, wherein is darkness, thunder and the flash of lightning. They [infidels] thrust their fingers in their ears by reason of the thunder-claps, for fear [terror] of dead [death]. Allah encompasseth [total domination over?] the disbelievers [infidels] (in His guidance).
20. The lightning almost snatcheth away their [infidels] sight from them. As often as it flasheth forth for them [infidels] they walk therein, and when it darkeneth against them [infidels] they stand still. If Allah willed, He could destroy their [the infidels'] hearing and their sight Lo! Allah is Able to do all things.
21. O mankind! Worship your Lord, Who hath created you and those before you, so that ye may ward off (evil).
22. Who [Allah] hath appointed the earth a resting-place for you [mankind], and the sky a canopy; and causeth water to pour down from the sky, thereby producing fruits as food for you. And do not set up rivals to Allah when ye [mankind] know (better).
23. And if ye [infidels] are in doubt concerning that [Quran] which We [Allah] reveal unto Our slave (Muhammad), then produce a sura or the like thereof, and call your witnesses [partners, gods] beside Allah if ye [infidels] are truthful.
24. And if ye [infidels] do it not and ye [infidels] can never do it [produce a sura] - then guard yourselves against the fire prepared for disbelievers [infidels], whose fuel is of men and stones.

25. And give glad tidings [news] (O Muhammad) unto those [Muslims] who believe and do good works; that theirs [Muslims'] are Gardens underneath which rivers flow; as often as they [Muslims] are regaled with food of the fruit thereof, they [Muslims] say: This is what was given us [proto-Muslims] aforetime; and it is given to them [current Muslims] in resemblance. There for them [Muslims] are pure companions; there for ever they [Muslims] abide.
26. Lo! Allah disdaineth not to coin the similitude even of a gnat. Those [Muslims] who believe know that it is the truth from their Lord; but those [infidels] who disbelieve say: What doth Allah wish (to teach) by such a similitude? He [Allah] misleadeth many [infidels] thereby, and He guideth many [Muslims] thereby; and He [Allah] misleadeth thereby only miscreants; [Allah deliberately create infidels]
27. Those [apostates] who break the covenant of Allah after ratifying it and sever [cut, sever] that which Allah ordered to be joined, and (who) make mischief in the earth: Those [infidels] are they who are the losers
28. How disbelieve ye [infidels] in Allah when ye [infidels] were dead and He gave life to you! Then he will give you death, then life again, and then unto Him ye [infidels] will return.
29. He [Allah] it is Who created for you [mankind] all that is in the earth. Then turned He to the heaven, and fashioned it as seven heavens. And He is Knower of all things.
My use of "infidels" is merely a loose terms to denote "them" [i.e. disbelivers, kuffar, kafara, idolaters, non-Muslims].

From the above one can easily note verse 2:1-5 identify the Muslims [us] as good and
from verses 2:6-24 the non-Muslims [them] [majority] are identified as evil for condemnation with derogatory terms.

Verses 2:25-29 comprised elements of Muslims [us] and non-Muslims [them].

From the above it is obvious the Quran divide all humans into two camps thus the answers are;

1. Muslims and non-Muslims, YES
2. believers and disbelievers, YES
3. Muslims and kuffar, YES

The above answer is very objective based on the contents of the verses.

I have merely picked up 29 verses as a matter of convenience.
However actual analysis indicated there are 189 verses that contain reference to non-Muslims [kuffar, kafara, disbelievers, idolaters'] i.e. "them" out of 286 verses.

I have done an analysis for each of the 114 chapters and the total is appx 3,400 verses [more than 55%] that identify "them" [kuffar, kafara, non-Muslim] against "us."
I have the numbers for each chapter.

There are only a rare few verses that is positive to the "them" the majority of the "them" [kuffar, kafara, non-Muslims] and directed with all sort and the worst kind of derogatory and dehumanizing terms.

Conclusion:
Therefore the Quran rely on the primal impulse of 'us versus them' to generally differentiate between Muslims [us = good] and non-Muslims [them = evil].

Agree/Disagree?
Disagree

Old 04-24-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Disagree
Why?

The differentiation of humans into two camps is so obvious from the verses in 2:1-29.

(1) 2:1-4 identify the Muslims and say nice things for the Muslims.

(2) 2:5-24 identify the non-Muslims, non-believers, kuffar and condemn them.

Isn't the process of (1) and (2) a process of differentiating Muslims and non-Muslims in general.

If you disagree, then why do not insist it is not?

Old 04-25-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Why?

The differentiation of humans into two camps is so obvious from the verses in 2:1-29.

(1) 2:1-4 identify the Muslims and say nice things for the Muslims.

(2) 2:5-24 identify the non-Muslims, non-believers, kuffar and condemn them.

Isn't the process of (1) and (2) a process of differentiating Muslims and non-Muslims in general.

If you disagree, then why do not insist it is not?
As every person has the potential to be either Muslim or Non-Muslim it is not separating them. It is pointing out the results of our own free will choices.

As al-Baqarah (Surah 2) is predominatly addressed to Jews and Muslims

One needs to reach each in the context of it's discord (Revelation) ayyat 1-20 and s1-29 are 2 seperate discords.

1- 20 deals with basic beliefs and and our choices. We are not diviced into groups but we each have the option of being a Believer, disbeliever or a hypocrite (Meaning a person who presents himself as a believer, but does not believe) This is not separating people into groups it is pointing out our choices. It is not an excuse for discrimination, but pointing out that all of us have those choices until the moment we die. A disbeliever could become a believer the moment before death and a believer could become a disbeliever a moment before he days. We have no doctrine of once saved, always saved. nor of once lost always lost.

21-29 is an invitation to all of mankind to perform Islam through their own free will and the benefits that can be obtained.

These 2 discourses do not give or promote discrimination among mankind. While it does state that people are either believer, disbelievers or hypocrites it is Allaah(swt) alone who can judge who is what. there is no justification for an us "versus them attitude."

for reference here are 2:1-20 and 2:21-19 try to read each one as a complete thought not as separate verses. In Arabic Each discourds would be recited almost as if it were a single word. there is no punctuation or line numbers in a recitation nor in the older Written Qur'ans.

The recited Qur'an has authority over the written Qur'an.

1-20
Alif. Lam. Mim. - 2:1 (Picktall)
This is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those who ward off (evil). - 2:2 (Picktall)
Who believe in the unseen, and establish worship, and spend of that We have bestowed upon them; - 2:3 (Picktall)
And who believe in that which is revealed unto thee (Muhammad) and that which was revealed before thee, and are certain of the Hereafter. - 2:4 (Picktall)
These depend on guidance from their Lord. These are the successful. - 2:5 (Picktall)
As for the disbelievers, whether thou warn them or thou warn them not it is all one for them; they believe not. - 2:6 (Picktall)
Allah hath sealed their hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be an awful doom. - 2:7 (Picktall)
And of mankind are some who say: We believe in Allah and the Last Day, when they believe not. - 2:8 (Picktall)
They think to beguile Allah and those who believe, and they beguile none save themselves; but they perceive not. - 2:9 (Picktall)
In their hearts is a disease, and Allah increaseth their disease. A painful doom is theirs because they lie. - 2:10 (Picktall)
And when it is said unto them: Make not mischief in the earth, they say: We are peacemakers only. - 2:11 (Picktall)
Are not they indeed the mischief makers? But they perceive not. - 2:12 (Picktall)
And when it is said unto them: Believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Are not they indeed the foolish? But they know not. - 2:13 (Picktall)
And when they fall in with those who believe, they say: We believe; but when they go apart to their devils they declare: Lo! we are with you; verily we did but mock. - 2:14 (Picktall)
Allah (Himself) doth mock them, leaving them to wander blindly on in their contumacy. - 2:15 (Picktall)
These are they who purchase error at the price of guidance, so their commerce doth not prosper, neither are they guided. - 2:16 (Picktall)
Their likeness is as the likeness of one who kindleth fire, and when it sheddeth its light around him Allah taketh away their light and leaveth them in darkness, where they cannot see, - 2:17 (Picktall)
Deaf, dumb and blind; and they return not - 2:18 (Picktall)
Or like a rainstorm from the sky, wherein is darkness, thunder and the flash of lightning. They thrust their fingers in their ears by reason of the thunder-claps, for fear of death. Allah encompasseth the disbelievers (in His guidance). - 2:19 (Picktall)
The lightning almost snatcheth away their sight from them. As often as it flasheth forth for them they walk therein, and when it darkeneth against them they stand still. If Allah willed, He could destroy their hearing and their sight. Lo! Allah is Able to do all things. - 2:20 (Picktall)

21-29
O mankind! Worship your Lord, Who hath created you and those before you, so that ye may ward off (evil). - 2:21 (Picktall)
Who hath appointed the earth a resting-place for you, and the sky a canopy; and causeth water to pour down from the sky, thereby producing fruits as food for you. And do not set up rivals to Allah when ye know (better). - 2:22 (Picktall)
And if ye are in doubt concerning that which We reveal unto Our slave (Muhammad), then produce a sura or the like thereof, and call your witnesses beside Allah if ye are truthful. - 2:23 (Picktall)
And if ye do it not and ye can never do it--then guard yourselves against the fire prepared for disbelievers, whose fuel is of men and stones. - 2:24 (Picktall)
And give glad tidings (O Muhammad) unto those who believe and do good works; that theirs are Gardens underneath which rivers flow; as often as they are regaled with food of the fruit thereof, they say: This is what was given us aforetime; and it is given to them in resemblance. There for them are pure companions; there for ever they abide. - 2:25 (Picktall)
Lo! Allah disdaineth not to coin the similitude even of a gnat. Those who believe know that it is the truth from their Lord; but those who disbelieve say: What doth Allah wish (to teach) by such a similitude? He misleadeth many thereby, and He guideth many thereby; and He misleadeth thereby only miscreants; - 2:26 (Picktall)
Those who break the covenant of Allah after ratifying it and sever that which Allah ordered to be joined, and (who) make mischief in the earth: Those are they who are the losers - 2:27 (Picktall)
How disbelieve ye in Allah when ye were dead and He gave life to you! Then he will give you death, then life again, and then unto Him ye will return. - 2:28 (Picktall)
He it is Who created for you all that is in the earth. Then turned He to the heaven, and fashioned it as seven heavens. And He is Knower of all things. - 2:29 (Picktall)

Old 04-26-2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
As every person has the potential to be either Muslim or Non-Muslim it is not separating them. It is pointing out the results of our own free will choices.

As al-Baqarah (Surah 2) is predominatly addressed to Jews and Muslims

One needs to reach each in the context of it's discord (Revelation) ayyat 1-20 and s1-29 are 2 seperate discords.

1- 20 deals with basic beliefs and and our choices. We are not diviced into groups but we each have the option of being a Believer, disbeliever or a hypocrite (Meaning a person who presents himself as a believer, but does not believe) This is not separating people into groups it is pointing out our choices. It is not an excuse for discrimination, but pointing out that all of us have those choices until the moment we die. A disbeliever could become a believer the moment before death and a believer could become a disbeliever a moment before he days. We have no doctrine of once saved, always saved. nor of once lost always lost.

21-29 is an invitation to all of mankind to perform Islam through their own free will and the benefits that can be obtained.

These 2 discourses do not give or promote discrimination among mankind. While it does state that people are either believer, disbelievers or hypocrites it is Allaah(swt) alone who can judge who is what. there is no justification for an us "versus them attitude."

for reference here are 2:1-20 and 2:21-19 try to read each one as a complete thought not as separate verses. In Arabic Each discourds would be recited almost as if it were a single word. there is no punctuation or line numbers in a recitation nor in the older Written Qur'ans.

The recited Qur'an has authority over the written Qur'an.

1-20
Alif. Lam. Mim. - 2:1 (Picktall)
This is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those who ward off (evil). - 2:2 (Picktall)
Who believe in the unseen, and establish worship, and spend of that We have bestowed upon them; - 2:3 (Picktall)
And who believe in that which is revealed unto thee (Muhammad) and that which was revealed before thee, and are certain of the Hereafter. - 2:4 (Picktall)
These depend on guidance from their Lord. These are the successful. - 2:5 (Picktall)
As for the disbelievers, whether thou warn them or thou warn them not it is all one for them; they believe not. - 2:6 (Picktall)
Allah hath sealed their hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be an awful doom. - 2:7 (Picktall)
And of mankind are some who say: We believe in Allah and the Last Day, when they believe not. - 2:8 (Picktall)
They think to beguile Allah and those who believe, and they beguile none save themselves; but they perceive not. - 2:9 (Picktall)
In their hearts is a disease, and Allah increaseth their disease. A painful doom is theirs because they lie. - 2:10 (Picktall)
And when it is said unto them: Make not mischief in the earth, they say: We are peacemakers only. - 2:11 (Picktall)
Are not they indeed the mischief makers? But they perceive not. - 2:12 (Picktall)
And when it is said unto them: Believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Are not they indeed the foolish? But they know not. - 2:13 (Picktall)
And when they fall in with those who believe, they say: We believe; but when they go apart to their devils they declare: Lo! we are with you; verily we did but mock. - 2:14 (Picktall)
Allah (Himself) doth mock them, leaving them to wander blindly on in their contumacy. - 2:15 (Picktall)
These are they who purchase error at the price of guidance, so their commerce doth not prosper, neither are they guided. - 2:16 (Picktall)
Their likeness is as the likeness of one who kindleth fire, and when it sheddeth its light around him Allah taketh away their light and leaveth them in darkness, where they cannot see, - 2:17 (Picktall)
Or like a rainstorm from the sky, wherein is darkness, thunder and the flash of lightning. They thrust their fingers in their ears by reason of the thunder-claps, for fear of death. Allah encompasseth the disbelievers (in His guidance). - 2:19 (Picktall)
The lightning almost snatcheth away their sight from them. As often as it flasheth forth for them they walk therein, and when it darkeneth against them they stand still. If Allah willed, He could destroy their hearing and their sight. Lo! Allah is Able to do all things. - 2:20 (Picktall)

21-29
O mankind! Worship your Lord, Who hath created you and those before you, so that ye may ward off (evil). - 2:21 (Picktall)
Who hath appointed the earth a resting-place for you, and the sky a canopy; and causeth water to pour down from the sky, thereby producing fruits as food for you. And do not set up rivals to Allah when ye know (better). - 2:22 (Picktall)
And if ye are in doubt concerning that which We reveal unto Our slave (Muhammad), then produce a sura or the like thereof, and call your witnesses beside Allah if ye are truthful. - 2:23 (Picktall)
And if ye do it not and ye can never do it--then guard yourselves against the fire prepared for disbelievers, whose fuel is of men and stones. - 2:24 (Picktall)
And give glad tidings (O Muhammad) unto those who believe and do good works; that theirs are Gardens underneath which rivers flow; as often as they are regaled with food of the fruit thereof, they say: This is what was given us aforetime; and it is given to them in resemblance. There for them are pure companions; there for ever they abide. - 2:25 (Picktall)
Lo! Allah disdaineth not to coin the similitude even of a gnat. Those who believe know that it is the truth from their Lord; but those who disbelieve say: What doth Allah wish (to teach) by such a similitude? He misleadeth many thereby, and He guideth many thereby; and He misleadeth thereby only miscreants; - 2:26 (Picktall)
Those who break the covenant of Allah after ratifying it and sever that which Allah ordered to be joined, and (who) make mischief in the earth: Those are they who are the losers - 2:27 (Picktall)
How disbelieve ye in Allah when ye were dead and He gave life to you! Then he will give you death, then life again, and then unto Him ye will return. - 2:28 (Picktall)
He it is Who created for you all that is in the earth. Then turned He to the heaven, and fashioned it as seven heavens. And He is Knower of all things. - 2:29 (Picktall)
Here is what Maududi stated in his introduction to Chapter 2.

Quote:
These introductory verses declare the Quran to be the Book of Guidance : enunciate the articles of the Faith -- belief in Allah, Prophethood and Life-after-death; divide mankind into three main groups with regard to its acceptance or rejection -- Believers, disbelievers and hypocrites. 1 - 20
The above implies the division is

"us" = Muslims [positive to be praised]
"Them" disbelievers and hypocrites [negative to be condemned]

Your denial is very glaring and I can understand as a Muslim and believer your default is you Must denial anything that has a semblance of negativity to your religions.

But the element of 'us versus them' is very obvious in Chapter 2 and the whole of the Quran;

2:1-4 identify the Muslims and praise them.

2:5 identify the disbelievers, i.e. the kuffar, non-Muslims for condemnations and contempt;
Have a relook at the following verses again;
The lightning almost snatcheth away their sight from them. . - 2:20 (Picktall)
I have only picked a small sample.
There are hundreds of verse in the similar condemnation tone as the above and worst where the "them" are dehumanized as apes, swine, cattle, asses, worst of creatures, liars, etc.

I am not surprised you denial the obvious "us versus them" and I suggest you relax a bit and reflect on the truth of the issue, i.e. the Quran do employ the "us versus them" impulse to segregate the Muslims from the non-Muslims as two distinct groups for treatment.

Last edited by Continuum; 04-26-2016 at 01:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam