Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:56 PM

7 posts, read 11,809 times

Advertisements

What is your purpose in life?
What is the rationale behind our life? Why do we live in this life? These questions frequently intrigue people who try to find accurate answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 04:06 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I think purpose varies from one person to the next. For a scientist like Stephen Hawking his purpose is probably to expand the knowledge of physics as much as possible although I couldn't speak for him of course. I think for a great many people who have children such as my brother with four of them, their purpose becomes less about themselves and more about the well being and future of their children. I don't believe that people are born with a specific purpose other than to survive. I think that as an individual grows up and finds a direction in life that purpose develops as a result of that direction.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:10 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL SERHANE View Post
What is the rationale behind our life? Why do we live in this life? These questions frequently intrigue people who try to find accurate answers.
There is no inherent purpose to life in the sense that there's no purpose dictated from which everyone is supposed to live by, although someone can create their own purpose in life by finding what gives them enjoyment and meaning to life. This doesn't come from a divinity that 'hands down' a singular purpose that everyone has to follow. Purpose comes from what gives someone fulfillment, which comes from whatever someone enjoys doing. Fulfillment is subjective, since it is different for every person. Someone may gain fulfillment from food and feasting, raising children to be fine adults, working hard, fighting evil among many others.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:12 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,851 times
To do the right thing, be a representative of God, a light in a dark world, to make this world a better place, to respect and work with others despite differences and to give to those in need.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:26 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
My purpose is to leave this earth a bit better off than when I arrived.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
"Carpe Diem" and " First do no Harm" sums it up pretty much. Seize the day, try to tread as lightly upon the earth as you can , try to be as good a person as you can be, be as happy as you can without impinging upon other's happiness, try to realise your full potential, stand up for what you believe in and against what you believe is wrong. To Love and be Loved. To respect and hopefully inspire a modicum of respect in return.

I try to take people as they are, and to accept that not everyone is me. We all think and believe different things and I try very hard to respect that ( as long as others people's beliefs are not harmful or damaging ).

I am a pessimist at heart and yet try my very hardest to see the best in people and still have enough idealism to carry me through my darkest moods and hours.

Basically I hope to be as moral and decent a human being as I can and when I fail I do try to accept full responsibility for my actions.

I believe our purpose in life as human beings is to embrace our humanity in all its polychrome forms and to always push for better not only for myself but for others.

I would like to believe we are here on this earth to seek understanding and knowledge in all its forms and to allow the wonders our human brain to fully develop is to grasp our vast and complex Universe in all its Myriad of facets.

We are here to do justice to ourselves by allowing common sense , reason and logic to guide us always without shutting out our emotions and finer feelings too. Never to allow injustice and wrongs to be perpetrated in your name and to stand up for those who cannot. To be the voice of the silenced if needs be .

I see my humanity as inextricably linked to others and I would like to see a document pertaining to a "Declaration of Human Duties" similar to the one we have for Human Rights.

I am weak and I often stumble and fail but I hope I will never relinquish my ideals because anything else is a betrayal of my deepest beliefs.

I find comfort in them and they carry me through.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:57 PM

520 posts, read 895,899 times
My purpose is what ever i wish it to be, and may not be the same 5 minutes from now.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:58 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL SERHANE View Post
What is the rationale behind our life? Why do we live in this life?
Joy
Closeness to God
Live the Divine Blueprint of my life
same thing

Old 01-21-2009, 06:02 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times
For a long time I had no purpose of direction to my life, other than material, but then some very painful and life changing things happened to me. I had to dig deeper into myself to find my way out of it and then continued to grow beyond what I ever was before as a result. Now I have a purpose and that is to help others who are troubled or experiencing hard times just as I was. I agree with just about everything that Mooseketeer said except that I am an optimist and see the best in people until I am shown otherwise and live my life with the assumption that people are basically good.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
My purpose was/is to raise children to know God/creator and to be respectful of different beliefs and not to make harmful judgments about people who have different beliefs, lifestyles or levels of comprehension..My purpose was also to show and embed into them the value and importance of maintaining strength within the biological family....Family values taught around our kitchen table at each evening meal, by every reunion and by every tragedy or joy that occurred in this family have taught them to be good adults and an asset to society if only by the values they were raised with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam