Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:49 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
So can we blame another religion for not getting along, when we can't either?

Not that anyone around here has a grenade for a belt buckle...
LOL, well ... I don't think it has to do so much with the teaching of the bible as it does with the disagreeable nature of human beings.

Though it seems to me that after 2000 years from the time of Christs first advent people are bound to have different opinions on what the bible is actually trying to tell us. Its not as if God made it easy to understand ... The bible is a riddle as much as it is a divine oracle ... God hides the truth for us, not from us. It is the honor of kings to search out the truth of God after all. And i believe God uses the heart more than he does the written word. Without the spirit in our heart to lead us the written word is coded language.

I must admit, sometimes it occurs to me that God has a something of a twisted sense of humor ... But that is just my carnal nature thinking. Though i don't believe God really has a twisted sense of humor, i believe he must have a sense of humor nonetheless considering all the confusion in the world that he claims not to be the author of. He is the creator of the author of confusion in the world in any regard. And he seems to make use of confusion even if he is not the author of it in that he sends delusion and hides his truth and hardens peoples hearts ... Some times i just look up and say, "What are you thinking?" ... Its an honest question and i have to say the scriptures are not exactly straight forward when you really begin to search them out. In many ways the scriptures are more dastardly(that is to say seemingly so in that they are often so confounding) than a Rubik's cube, because there is no certain solution. I often become exasperated and have to just put things on a shelf and hope that one day he gives me understanding concerning them some time in the future.

Sorry for the tangent, i wandered off OP again! Doh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 PM

179 posts, read 295,116 times
Oh yea sure let's blame catholicism for "jump starting islam" and while we're at it lets blame the jews of medina. Look guys his first wife was indeed christian and at that time practically all christians (in that area) were catholic. However, lets not forget for a second that the founder of Islam was Muhammed NOT his wife! Also, Muhammed was one of the many arab pagans of medina in which the most prominent of the pagan deities worshipped was the moon god called Allah. Also, his wife did have alot to do with starting up his new religion becuse she was the richest woman in town and funded everything so by the she was no longer christian. Also many contend wether she even was a christian to begin with because if she was then how did she marry a pagan and still remain christian? This was in a time when such an action was punishable by excommunication by the church or even death! So catholicism began Islam?! BS! If anything it was the jews of medina allowing them to pray in their synagogues.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,206 times
wow...........

Old 12-15-2009, 09:07 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Everything that is said to be negative about Islam could also be said about Christianity, at least at sometime during it's long, bloody, imperialistic history. Christians have invaded and killed in the name of their God too (see: The "Crusades" or "The Spanish Inquisition.") Also, in any country in which Christianity first got a toe-hold in, they attempted if not suceeded in increasing their numbers and inflicting their ideals and morals on the indigenous peoples; whether they wanted it or not.
After all, organized religions are comprised of humans, some good and some bad, and they are going to follow their nature and attempt to rule and call the shots.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:37 PM

179 posts, read 295,116 times
You know people tend to forget that truly religion is at it's core meant for good it is and always has been meant for bringing about the positive things not the negative. The intention of religion is honestly for good and rightouseness. However, your right it's often bad but only because the people who practice it make as such. Everyone can agree that honestly at it's heart religion intends good and for some people who truly practice it as it was intended it can bring out the best in them. It can be positive and productive it is meant ONLY for good and nothing else. It's us humans with our corrupt ways who take something good and positive and make it into a perversion. It is absolutely not religion that is bad, it's people who are bad. If you do evil in the name of a religion then you are not of that religion!

Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Both history and experience prove that religions do not bring people together. Religions are the major cause of disunity and hate amongst people. Religions divide people into “us” vs. “them”. “Us” are the good ones, the chosen ones, and the ones that have found the truth. “Them” are the bad ones, the ones who are ignorant, who reject the Truth and who need our guidance. Most wars were fought in the name of religion. Because faith is a strong feeling, the hate that it engenders is deadly.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times
As long as we don't tolerate barbaric behavior, I think the Islam we see today will reform, and become more christian like.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:11 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Well, let me ask a counter question: Why should the Islam trust the West?
Ya could ask this for any non-Western religion.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
So can we blame another religion for not getting along, when we can't either?

Not that anyone around here has a grenade for a belt buckle...
At least at the present the different sects of Christians are not killing each other like the different sects of Islam are.

Over in Baghdad the security forces had to build a huge wall to keep the two different factions separated so they would not be blowing each other up . . . as much as they are now.

And these freaks want us to be a part of their Islam? Wow, I feel soooo tempted! NOT! LOL!

Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Everything that is said to be negative about Islam could also be said about Christianity, at least at sometime during it's long, bloody, imperialistic history. Christians have invaded and killed in the name of their God too (see: The "Crusades" or "The Spanish Inquisition.") Also, in any country in which Christianity first got a toe-hold in, they attempted if not suceeded in increasing their numbers and inflicting their ideals and morals on the indigenous peoples; whether they wanted it or not.
After all, organized religions are comprised of humans, some good and some bad, and they are going to follow their nature and attempt to rule and call the shots.
The Catholics were just taking back what the Islamic Turks stole from them i.e., lands, etc. those many years ago. Back then the Catholic church was the government of Europe and controlled the armies etc. If they didn't run the Turks out of town we'd all be towel heads by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam