Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 06:16 PM

7 posts, read 50,458 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the Jackson area and have heard Madison is the only place to consider buying a home in terms of safety, and property value retainment. Is this true, or are there other areas of equal or similar qualities? We are relocating for work, and have spent only a week there. I can say that we are eager to get out of south Florida. We grew up in the midwest and have spent the several years down here - we came with an open and eager attitude, but now hate the place (Miami area) because of the population density, crime, and overwhelming disregard for manners. Hoping to start fresh and obtain some breathing room in MS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,268 times
The Reservoir area, Flowood and Brandon are also good places to live. Houses retain their value in these areas also and they're as safe as Madison.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 PM

165 posts, read 304,681 times
I feel you. Ignorance runs rampant in South Florida. It's like a Zoo down here. I'm unfortunately stuck here for maybe a little longer but first bite I get for a job elsewhere I'm OUT.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM

Thank you for your feedback. I drove around the Reservoir when I visited and could not believe how huge a body of water it is (33,000 acres?!). We are determined to buy a waterfront property and were so pleasantly pleased at not only the large number of lakes and beautiful large properties on them, but more astounding was the price! We live on a small lake in Pembroke Pines, FL, but it cost a bundle (lost half of the value we bought it for six years ago) and has a zero lot line (as do most of the homes in south Florida). We spend $12,500 per year on Home Owner's Association fees, taxes and hurricane insurance...on top of $400,000+ mortgage. Speaking of costs, I have another question regarding insurance in Mississippi - Is there mandatory flood and/or hurricane insurance? I don't know how far inland they require coverage there. Also, what are typical costs for a $300,000 to $400,000 home insurance-wise? Our home varied between $6000 to $9000 - depending on which insurance company-of-the-month picked us up or dropped us (typical in Florida) per year. Appreciate any feedback..oh, and thank you for the empathy regarding the "Zoo-like" atmosphere down here - It is something you truly cannot believe or appreciate until you have tried to live in it. Everyone tells us we are crazy to move to MS, but no one who has that opinion has ever been there. I know that every area has its good points and bad, but the Miami area is ...well, a cesspool. It's as though Cuba, Venezuela and Haiti have emptied their jails, mental health facilities and transferred the drug lords to this chunk of land. Good grief. Sorry..am trying not to get too negative and renew a focus on more positive things.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,704 times
I would be surprised if anyone has hurricane insurance. There are tornados and damage from fallen trees is not unheard of. Flood insurance...yes, for certain neighborhoods in north Jackson but not as likely in Madison or Rankin counties by the reservoir or in the more rolling areas.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:28 AM

64 posts, read 237,176 times
You can purchase hurricane insurance if you opt to. However as brickpatio says, there is very little need as we are so far inland. Flood insurance is dependent on the area you buy in.
Don't listen to the nay-sayers. You will love MS, especially our area.
I live in Madison, work in Ridgeland and do mortgages all over the metro area. It has his drawbacks but the positives out weigh the negatives.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM

190 posts, read 692,365 times
I pay around $1,000 a year for homeowner's insurance. I also add a couple hundred a year for an earthquake policy. If you are looking for waterfront, you also might want to check out Lake Caroline and Reunion in Madison County. They are much smaller lakes than the reservoir, but they are private developments. You may not be interested, but at least you know they are there (if you didn't already).

Lake Caroline Owners Association

Welcome to Reunion - Madison MS Exclusive Residential Development

Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flohio View Post
Thank you for your feedback. I drove around the Reservoir when I visited and could not believe how huge a body of water it is (33,000 acres?!). We are determined to buy a waterfront property and were so pleasantly pleased at not only the large number of lakes and beautiful large properties on them, but more astounding was the price! We live on a small lake in Pembroke Pines, FL, but it cost a bundle (lost half of the value we bought it for six years ago) and has a zero lot line (as do most of the homes in south Florida). We spend $12,500 per year on Home Owner's Association fees, taxes and hurricane insurance...on top of $400,000+ mortgage. Speaking of costs, I have another question regarding insurance in Mississippi - Is there mandatory flood and/or hurricane insurance? I don't know how far inland they require coverage there. Also, what are typical costs for a $300,000 to $400,000 home insurance-wise? Our home varied between $6000 to $9000 - depending on which insurance company-of-the-month picked us up or dropped us (typical in Florida) per year. Appreciate any feedback..oh, and thank you for the empathy regarding the "Zoo-like" atmosphere down here - It is something you truly cannot believe or appreciate until you have tried to live in it. Everyone tells us we are crazy to move to MS, but no one who has that opinion has ever been there. I know that every area has its good points and bad, but the Miami area is ...well, a cesspool. It's as though Cuba, Venezuela and Haiti have emptied their jails, mental health facilities and transferred the drug lords to this chunk of land. Good grief. Sorry..am trying not to get too negative and renew a focus on more positive things.
You obviously have more issues than Miami or it's racial make up but then again most racists have the same problem as well.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 PM

13 posts, read 40,280 times
I use this site recetly myself, to che ck out Florida...it helps, but posting and reading post'-preferably newer/latest...helps as much if not more. I'm a single, 45 yr. old gentleman, moving to the south east to help my breathing, and back...Cold and rain, just tear my day up... how far depends kind'a on when the money runs out/ have to bunker down get a job for the winter. Then, or meet the right person, ya know!

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...#ixzz1SbNojsoZ

Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 PM

I appreciate the information and am happy to hear the insurance is not much to worry about. I will definitely look into the areas suggested and hope to be there soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson