Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM

78 posts, read 197,484 times

Advertisements

And for Mississippi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:15 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Hopefully, you're staying at the famed Motel6 on Frontage Road. If there aren't any Jackson, Mississippi Postcards in your room, then maybe there's a display behind the Polycarbonate partition in the lobby. The Desk Clerk can pass one through to you.

If you're really lucky, they'll have one of these: Wooding up' on the Mississippi Post Cards from Zazzle.com. Both a picturesque scene and an inspiring message - particularly for honeymooners. I'd first try the Jackson Visitor Center, at 111 East Capitol Street, in bustling Downtown Jackson.

Unfortunately, Jackson post cards selections are devoid of bandana-coiffed mammys, eating watermelon while about to be snapped-up by Alligators. There may be some of those in the gift shops of the antebellum mansions in Natchez, though.

Failing that, maybe there are postcards honoring City Councilwoman/Fashion Plate, LaRita Cooper-Stokes. http://www.wapt.com/image/view/-/174...in-Jackson.jpg She's helping to redefine 'Hope & Change' in Jacktown: http://www.wapt.com/image/view/-/156...per-Stokes.jpg, as is her esteemed Husband, the exalted Hinds County Supervisor, Mr. Kenneth Stokes. Kenneth Stokes first day on the job - YouTube Now that you know how well the City and County are being run and supervised, I'm sure you'll want to linger in 'The City With Soul' for an extra few days. What LaRita is doing for Jacktown's Millinery Scene is mirrored by what Kennuf is doing for bespoke suits. Shoulder pads are back: in a big way!

As for the culinary scene in Jackson... well... there's only one way to put it: There's a lot of food, in Jackson Mississippi. And while it's been an easy two decades since I was up in a Shoney's, I think I remember a postcard display up next to the cash register.

Autrement... Should you not be angling to run into Kenneth & LaRita at the Fairgrounds Shoney's, here's a shortlist tour of museums & eateries that may be more to your liking: 6 Meals + 6 Museums = A True Taste of Jackson Culture and Cuisine! Museums generally have postcards.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:15 PM

29 posts, read 53,395 times
[quote=GrandviewGloria;32919988]Hopefully, you're staying at the famed Motel6 on Frontage Road. If there aren't any Jackson, Mississippi Postcards in your room, then maybe there's a display behind the Polycarbonate partition in the lobby. The Desk Clerk can pass one through to you.

Oh dear lord…I really hope not!

Failing that, maybe there are postcards honoring City Councilwoman/Fashion Plate, LaRita Cooper-Stokes. http://www.wapt.com/image/view/-/174...in-Jackson.jpg She's helping to redefine 'Hope & Change' in Jacktown: http://www.wapt.com/image/view/-/156...per-Stokes.jpg, as is her esteemed Husband, the exalted Hinds County Supervisor, Mr. Kenneth Stokes.
Kenneth Stokes first day on the job - YouTube Now that you know how well the City and County are being run and supervised, I'm sure you'll want to linger in 'The City With Soul' for an extra few days. What LaRita is doing for Jacktown's Millinery Scene is mirrored by what Kennuf is doing for bespoke suits. Shoulder pads are back: in a big way!

Here's a couple of links of WAPT covering Kenneth "you momma" Stokes's true character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRw6TH3yRAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-aL2Ruc0ro

It gets better! Some creative Jacksonian made a remix to the news story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Aw6XRyebI

Last edited by jdg92; 01-07-2014 at 11:35 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 PM

29 posts, read 53,395 times
There is a store in an area called Fondren called "Swell-O-Phonic" that sells Jackson related souvenirs and I'm guessing they have postcards, but I may be wrong as I've never been in the store. The owner became infamous in the city (but for a good cause) when he became a vigilante repairing pot holes. His stunt led him to creating a new line of souvenirs: T-shirt designed by 'Pothole Robin Hood' | Jackson News - WAPT Home

Here's a link to WAPT covering this story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDo92eyZgyY

Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,804 times
I am so glad we have representatives of our great city like LaRita and Kenny!

Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 PM

772 posts, read 999,523 times
I think the question was about postcards. Not about Motel 6. Not about Kenneth and LaRita stokes. Please stay on topic.

Anyway ...

The Old Capitol Museum at 100 South State Street should have some postcards of the city and probably the state.

There's also plenty on eBay, I've gotten a number of them from there.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
I think the question was about postcards. Not about Motel 6. Not about Kenneth and LaRita stokes. Please stay on topic.

Anyway ...

The Old Capitol Museum at 100 South State Street should have some postcards of the city and probably the state.

There's also plenty on eBay, I've gotten a number of them from there.
Modern ones? Every time I look for postcards online, it's always the vintage ones and that's not what I want

Old 01-10-2014, 05:22 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,804 times
I think I've seen them at that gas station right off the interstate on High Street across from the fairgrounds.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
I think I've seen them at that gas station right off the interstate on High Street across from the fairgrounds.
I have left the area already, but i would seriously give you or anyone else a little money to mail me one. If you ever stumble accross one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson